Nice feature article on Mean Green

JohnnyVegas

Matt Postins, the author of this story, is the former assistant sports editor at the DRC. I believe he is also an alum.

However that doesn't take away from it being a good story.

Like many lower-tiered Division I teams, the Mean Green must play "money games," that is, road games against national powers where the Mean Green is paid a sort-of appearance fee for showing up and getting their tail kicked. UNT uses that money to help pay for the football programs, and other programs, in the athletic department.

The Mean Green is the master of the slow start because they play money games every year. Last year UNT lost to Texas, Baylor and Colorado — all road games — before Sun Belt action began. In 2003 the Mean Green went to Norman, Okla., to face Oklahoma. Plus they played Baylor at home (a game the Mean Green won), then traveled to Air Force and Arkansas. In 2002 UNT traveled to Texas, TCU, Alabama and South Florida, all losses. This season the Mean Green was supposed to open at LSU, but will face the Tigers Oct. 29. They’ve already lost to Tulsa and Kansas State.

You get the idea. The Mean Green starts slow because of that dastardly schedule. UNT is 2-18 in non-conference games since joining the Sun Belt in 2001. Its only wins are against Baylor and Division I-AA Nicholls State.

It’s hard to get on a roll against Texas and Oklahoma, so UNT must have faith it can survive that beating and then beat up on its Sun Belt brethren. So far the formula has worked. That 26-2 record in Sun Belt action attests to that. The Sun Belt is the nation’s worst Division I-A conference by far, but UNT’s brutal schedule has it prepared for whatever the Sun Belt schools can throw at it.

Conference play seems to cure whatever ails UNT, so it could be the Troy loss is just a bump in the road. Troy reached a bowl game just two years ago, so it’s not like the Trojans are a pushover. The Mean Green has five more conference games remaining, more than enough time to make up the ground necessary to earn another trip to New Orleans.

But for the first time since 2001, the Mean Green needs some help — and not just from themselves.

I really like the last 6 paragraphs of the article (above). All those knocking UNT OOC schedule, look at who they played. That is a brutal schedule that sets up the Eagles for Sun Belt play.

The article also mentions the Sun Belt is a weak conference. Hard to argue with that. Look at the standings of the teams over the years. UNT was at best around 65, and there are 3-4 teams ranked 100 or lower.

I hope UNT can get out of the SBC in the next few years. It will mean fewer wins in football, but it will mean more money, more chances at a bowl game (SBC champ is the only one going to a bowl game the last 4 years), and an opportunity to develop other sports programs.