Good Season To Miss NO Bowl.....and....

MeanGreen61

Ethan B. Szatmary / They've Got t Be Kiddin'

Maybe a good season to miss New Orleans Bowl

09:14 AM CDT on Sunday, October 9, 2005

Ethan B. Szatmary

Cheer up Mean Green football fans.

Sure, the University of North Texas football team finally saw its 26-game Sun Belt Conference winning streak snapped in a 13-10 loss to Troy on Tuesday. And sure, the Mean Green’s streak of four consecutive New Orleans Bowls seems in jeopardy, too, after UNT fell to 1-1 in conference and 1-4 overall.

But, with Hurricane Katrina leaving the Louisiana Superdome unplayable, the New Orleans Bowl is rumored to be moving up north to Ragin’ Cajun country at Louisiana-Lafayette.

Who really wants to go to the Lafayette Bowl anyway? Let’s go party on … not Bourbon Street.

The Mean Green honored former head coach Hayden Fry and his 1975 team at halftime of UNT’s loss to Troy, and the crafty old coach came dressed like he was going out clubbing afterwards — decked out in maroon suit with a pink shirt open at the collar.

UNT professor Dr. Don Beck had more to say to University of Iowa professors who want to do away with Fry’s old policy of painting the opposing team’s locker room pink.

Dr. Beck claims to have given this idea to Fry on a trip he made to Iowa City to a “Values in Coaching Workshop.”

“When in Iowa City I described for Hayden and his group how law enforcement organizations would use such a pink room to ‘calm down’ aggressive humans rather than use physical force. [Perhaps you are aware that the county sheriff in Phoenix is noted for forcing inmates to wear pink],” Dr. Beck wrote me an e-mail.

To any of the Iowa professors who disagree with the pink treatment, Dr. Beck was so kind as to e-mail me the scientific study “The Physiological Effect of Color on the Suppression of Human Aggression: Research on Baker-Miller Pink” by Dr. Alexander G. Schauss, Director, A.I.B.R. Life Sciences at the American Institute for Biosocial Research, Inc. Tacoma, Wash.