Observations after watching Troy game replay

Got5onIt

After watching the replay of Tuesday's game 3 things really stuck out to me:

1. The defnse is not that bad. They are on the field too long, wearing down after being on the field 75% of the game. Offense needs to maintain some drives and give them a break.

2. Chad Rose is consistantly getting whooped at the point of attack. I can't count the number of times his guy beats him or he whiffs on a block.

3. The receiving corps after Johnny Quinn is severely lacking. Some of Meagers throws weren't all that bad against man coverage. These receivers are not making plays on the ball like they should when it's one on one.

cool.gif

On the slip screen Nwigwe showed his jets. Why can't Flanigan somewhow involve this guy into this offense??

Somehow, they need to back that defense off. Nwigwe definitely has the speed to do it.

I still say Meager is the focal point of all the offensive issues.

On the slip screen Nwigwe showed his jets. Why can't Flanigan somewhow involve this guy into this offense??

Somehow, they need to back that defense off. Nwigwe definitely has the speed to do it.

I've been wondering the same thing. This guy has never disappointed me, and I'll never forget his heroics against MUTS in 2003.

1. The defnse is not that bad. They are on the field too long, wearing down after being on the field 75% of the game. Offense needs to maintain some drives and give them a break.

Why is it the defense always wears down, why doesn't the opposing offense wear down that is on the field that same 75% of the game? blink.gif

Why is it the defense always wears down, why doesn't the opposing offense wear down that is on the field that same 75% of the game?   blink.gif

That's a good question, but I think it has a pretty simple answer:

The offense controls the speed of the game, i.e., the offense decides whether to run, pass, run a hurry-up, that sort of thing.

I think that's the key to offensive control. They're able to stay on the field longer because they know what they're doing, and if they're getting tired, they can control the speed of the plays. When you're on defense, you can't really do that. You've got to come hard every play and work to read what the offense is doing.

But I think your point was that our defense is giving up lots of yards and not stopping drives that they should be stopping. And I don't necessarily disagree with you there. However, I think the key thing is that we DO have a very young defense that many of us were very worried about before the beginning of this season. I guess when your expectations are lower, you're able to be more pleasantly surprised. I think everyone came into the season expecting the same offensive production from last season, and that's why we're disappointed. But I digress... the topic of this discussion is the defense.

Edited by untgirl04