Anybody Watch DD's Interview @ Halftime

UNTLifer

The mere fact that we don't see this guy on the sidelines getting in his players faces, enouraging his players, or showing any emotion on the sidelines is a pretty good indication of what that interview was like. 

OK, let me preface this by saying in no way am I comparing DD's coaching acumen to Tom Landry (we all know this) BUT the above description you've posted sure sounds like Tom Landry's personality on the sidelines. Um, that seemed to work for almost three decades. Just because someone's waiving their arms, screaming at the refs, etc doesn't make them a better coach or mean they are more into the game. For example during the ill-advised Dave Campo era, how many times did we see that guy screaming at the refs, his arms waving like a windmill?? He seemed to be saying "look fans, I'm a good coach, 'cuz I'm involved in the game". Lack of emotions on the sidelines don't bother me ....

OK, let me preface this by saying in no way am I comparing DD's coaching acumen to Tom Landry (we all know this) BUT the above description you've posted sure sounds like Tom Landry's personality on the sidelines.  Um, that seemed to work for almost three decades.  Just because someone's waiving their arms, screaming at the refs, etc doesn't make them a better coach or mean they are more into the game.  For example during the ill-advised Dave Campo era, how many times did we see that guy screaming at the refs, his arms waving like a windmill??  He seemed to be saying "look fans, I'm a good coach, 'cuz I'm involved in the game".  Lack of emotions on the sidelines don't bother me ....

Great post... very true.

OK, let me preface this by saying in no way am I comparing DD's coaching acumen to Tom Landry (we all know this) BUT the above description you've posted sure sounds like Tom Landry's personality on the sidelines.  Um, that seemed to work for almost three decades.  Just because someone's waiving their arms, screaming at the refs, etc doesn't make them a better coach or mean they are more into the game.  For example during the ill-advised Dave Campo era, how many times did we see that guy screaming at the refs, his arms waving like a windmill??  He seemed to be saying "look fans, I'm a good coach, 'cuz I'm involved in the game".  Lack of emotions on the sidelines don't bother me ....

Tom Landry was certainly not the boisterous coach on the sidelines, but you knew he was watching the game. Also, how many stories have you heard about Landry's discipline off the field? There are tons of them. Although Landry didn't choose to act demonstratively on the field, he controlled the team and you didn't see many unsportsmanlike conduct penalties or bonehead mistakes.

With DD, you see both.

I've heard DD say in interviews that he puts up with a certain amount of personal fouls because he likes the aggressiveness. That would make me completely insane as a coach. It makes me crazy as a fan. Athletes are people too and things happen in the heat of the battle. However, over the years we have had way to many personal fouls. There where a few games when we where playing some of the bigger teams and getting our butts kicked where we had some unsportsman-like conduct penalties that where just very low blows. Very embarrassing as a fan. It was almost like, well we can't beat you so we can take cheap shots. It doesn't seem that DD takes these kinds of things seriously, or he just tolerates them. Blah! mad.gif

These are good points and the emotion shown by the coach does not mean they will succeed. However, the fact is the program at UNT need to not only build a solid foundation on the field we need to build up the fan base – Gets butts in the seats!!! And I realize it goes against the grain of many who like to say “real fans will show up regardless……..” but it would not hurt if we had a coach who had the personality and charisma to win over the casual fan.