Evan Szatmary's Column

UNTLifer

people with too much time on their hands.

The University of North Texas football program will honor Mean Green great Hayden Fry and his 1975 UNT team at halftime of Tuesday’s game against Troy and again after the game with another thriling fireworks display.

However, the faculty members at the school for which Fry is more widely known, Iowa, aren’t treating his legacy with respect.

While at Iowa, Fry decided to paint the visiting locker rooms pink because he learned in a psychology class that male athletes don’t like the color. Since then, the school has gone Mary K on the whole visiting locker room – showers, carpet, lockers, paint.

According to the Associated Press, a movement has developed at the school to do away with this interior decorating choice because it allegedly demeans women and perpetuates offensive stereotypes about women and homosexulaity.

‘’I want the locker room gone,’’ law school professor Jill Gaulding told a university committee.

Maybe it’s me, but I think this woman is doing more to perpetuate negative stereotypes about her gender than a pink locker room. Grow up, lady. It’s a freakin’ color. If you hadn’t noticed, we’ve got bigger problems in America lately.