They sky is still up there

emmitt01

Here's why I'm not down on our team or our prospects for the rest of the season (except against LSU).

1)Five turnovers! Name a team, any team, that will win games where they are giving the ball away five times...or even one that will only lose that game by 3.

2)Dropped balls. You complain that we don't pass enough. Anyone remember a pass to Muzzy across the middle early in the first quarter? That ball was catchable. How about the long pass to Brock Stickler? Either of these passes puts us in a position to win.

3)Running mistakes. The infamous first and goal towards the end of the first half started with a handoff to Patrick Cobbs that he tried to bounce outside instead of lowering his shoulders and picking up the yard or two. Rewatch the film, even Craig James says "you can't bounce outside on a team with Troy's speed." Yet we tried it time and again.

4)17,000 fans. Never in the time that I've been watching North Texas would I have expected this many given the scores of our previous games.

5)There is a God. Given the way Middle Tennessee fans are viewing our loss last night as somehow validation for their delusions I am sure we will win the belt by divine intervention...that's the only way justice can be served.

Be mad if you want guys, just realize that we did some things that made it very hard to win...the biggest of them being FIVE turnovers. But these are all things that can be corrected and I think our team will mature and make those strides.

Name me one team that is going to win consistently by rushing for about 3 yards per rush.

I knew this was going to be long year and yes the turnovers killed us last night but what gets me the most was not the failings of the new players or even the returning starters but in the opportunities to make something happen, the coaches who have been here a long time, failed.

Third and four at midfield and what we need more than anything is a first down and to keep the chains moving and give our defense some rest. And both receivers run deep patterns.

The goalline sequence was abysmal.

We have few plays to pick up the first down on intermediate situations. It's either deep or 2 yd patterns.

We got very lucky that Troy turned over the ball and missed a couple of easy field goals.

THe players might get better but sooner or later it would be nice to outcoach somebody too. I'm not asking for anybody to get fired, I'm just saying the coaching staff needs to step it up too.

Edited by meanrob

Name me one team that is going to win consistently by rushing for about 3 yards per rush.

I knew this was going to be long year and yes the turnovers killed us last night but what gets me the most was not the failings of the new players or even the returning starters but in the opportunities to make something happen, the coaches who have been here a long time, failed.

Third and four at midfield and what we need more than anything is a first down and to keep the chains moving and give our defense some rest.  And both receivers run deep patterns.

The goalline sequence was abysmal.

We have few plays to pick up the first down on intermediate situations. It's either deep or 2 yd patterns.

We got very lucky that Troy turned over the ball and missed a couple of easy field goals.

THe players might get better but sooner or later it would be nice to outcoach somebody too. I'm not asking for anybody to get fired, I'm just saying the coaching staff needs to step it up too.

That I'll agree with.