Daniel Meager, JaMario Thomas

Will to Win

Meager has improved since his debut at Middle Tenneesee. He seems to be more comfortable but, still has a way to go. (Point) I think he will evolve into a solid college QB for our Mean Green. He can run and throw.

Question? Will he mature fast enough this year to allow us an opportunity to compete in the Sun Belt Championship game?

Question? Do you hand the ball off to the sophmore running back (who can create in space), the senior running back (the incumbent), or a combination of the two?

In my opinion, I vote for the guy who can give you the best chance to win, and I am taking into account the level of success our O-Line has displayed as of 10-4-05. JT fits the bill! He can create when little or nothing has been created.

he has not improved at all

did you watch the game last night?

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

Daniel Meager 10/15 122 8.1 0 0 Mid. Tenn

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT

Daniel Meager 9/26 129 5.0 0 2

North Texas Rushing

CAR YDS AVG TD LG

Patrick Cobbs 15 56 3.7 0 14

Jamario Thomas 9 23 2.6 0 8

Daniel Meager 7 21 3.0 1 20 Troy

And when I say he has improved, I mean his comfort level in running this offense has imroved. Keep in mind he is a Red Shirt Freshman. He has become more vocal during them game, and showing more emotion during the game as compared to Mid. Tenn, which I would notch under the "Showing improvement" category. Give the kid a chance!

Don't pull Drew Smith here- I still believe that he was a great QB at his level...but you have to remember that the SBC is a different field than it used to be. After the USM game, every team is hammering us with 8-9 in the box, and I don't know if Scott Hall would be great back there. He'd do better than Meager since he reads and leads more effectively, but he'd still have trouble, especially since he isn't as mobile.

BUT-

Danny has potential. I think he needs time...but there has to be a limit.

AND-

The RB's are about situation. JT seems to handle running outside better while PC is better at jamming through the middle. Do both. D

Danny did look better. He looks like he could be scary-like affective running the option. He's fast, possibly the quckest QB we have seen in some time. So if we are going to be so @#$#ing committed to running the ball, why not utilize his skill he seems best at,(RUNNING THE BALL) along with the two streak-fast backs we have behind him, and run the option?

Pulling my hair out....still!

Rick

IMHO

Meager has no poise.

Granted he is a frosh and you gus may be right about the SBC landscape but its not as if we were pass happy back then

Meagers emotion on the field looks to be directed outward rather than looking inward. The INT is a good example. Instead of pointing at himself or giving the nod like my bad he points at his wristband then stomps off.

I lay some of this on DD for lack of foresight on Byerly and not getting a JUCO.

There are two opinions floating out there about

1. We need to rebuild with the youth and glad they are all Fr etc

2. The program is at a point where we expect more

I agree with both to an extent.

We did need to reload, but we could have had a juco for a year or 2 and and mix in meager or phillips and possbly maintained our dominance

Green Nightmare is right- While I strongly believe that Meager can be a great QB, I also believe that Dickey kind of messed up with the reload phase. It's not like we lost Drew Smith this summer- Dickey had an entire year to ready the other QBs with more playing time and find another QB with actual play time to hold the fort.

Dickey had an entire year to ready the other QBs with more playing time and find another QB with actual play time to hold the fort.

You mean Byerly?

Up until last night I have been wanting to see Phillips in there, but Meager was more healthy last night and showed some skills that only a playmaker can make...his few mistakes I blame on being a red-shirt freshman and the worst line I have seen in a long time at NT...

Let's be honest here. Meager would be the THIRD STRING QB if all was right. With the passing of Smith and Byerly being too stupid to play, Meager was thrown into the starting spot. Meager never would have seen the feild, even in a blow out if things had gone the way that they had planned. I think the expectations for what would have been a THIRD STRING QB are a little high or maybe you just haven't realized what he was designed to be when this team was put together.

One would assume that there would be some sort of skill improvement as he's the only guy getting reps on the field and time in practice.

Right you would assume that yet Meager has barely improved from games 1-4.

Don't site the touchdown as the great offensive play it was.

He had many more opportunities to sustain drives with passes an couldn't

DD had to know Byerly wasn't going to make it, Meager had shoulder trouble and is still young.

Basically he neglected the qb position

All this may be moot a couple years down the road if everyone matures.

However we are not the UT's and OU's of the world where a rebuilding years means a 7-4 record and a trip to the alamo bowl.

DD needs to realize we cant afford another run like 98-01 where he was given time to get his guys in here and develop etc. We need to win now and every year and if not we need to look good losing.

That may sound dumb we we need to. Whoever is saying that the playcalling was imaginative hasnt been watching the games that long.