ESPN.com Recap

PerryG2480

user posted image

DENTON, Texas (AP) -- Kenny Cattouse outrushed two NCAA rushing champions and helped Troy end North Texas' 26-game Sun Belt Conference winning streak.

Cattouse rushed for 109 yards and Troy won 13-10 on Tuesday night to end the Mean Green's Sun Belt run that started in 2001.

The sophomore running back had 30 yards more than rushing champions Jamario Thomas and Patrick Cobbs combined. The Trojans outgained North Texas 283 yards to 100 on the ground.

"Coach came out with a good game plan. He decided to run the ball and just keep the ball on the ground," Cattouse said. "The offensive line did a great job. I had a good feeling coming into this game. I knew we were going to run it well."

North Texas (1-3, 1-1) hadn't lost a conference game since a 19-17 defeat to Louisiana-Monroe in their first-ever Sun Belt game, on Oct. 6, 1991. They were trying to match the nation's longest active conference winning streak held by Boise State, which has won 27 straight Western Athletic Conference games.

"I don't think anybody thought it would last forever," Mean Green coach Darrell Dickey said. "I know a lot of people are going to harp on the end of the streak. We're going to focus on the end of the season. ... We have a lot of improving to do to win games against anybody."

North Texas had five turnovers, two of which led to points for Troy (2-3, 1-0).

Johnny Quinn muffed a punt at the North Texas 17 with 1:36 left in the first quarter. Two plays later, Carl Meadows threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Toris Rutledge to put Troy ahead 7-0.

"That was a huge win. We knew it wouldn't be easy," Troy coach Larry Blakeney said. "We felt like we had to move the ball, and we knew we'd have to play defense and tackle those runners."

The Trojans led 10-3 in the fourth quarter when Thomas, last year's NCAA Division I rushing champion, fumbled on third-and-1 just past midfield. Bernard Davis recovered to set up Greg Whibbs' second field goal, a 20-yarder with 8:27 left that made it 13-3.

Freshman quarterback Daniel Meager ran for a 20-yard touchdown with 1:38 left to get the Mean Green within 13-10, but they couldn't recover an onside kick and Troy ran out the clock.

Thomas was held to 23 yards on nine carries.

Cobbs, who won the rushing title in 2003 before being hurt early last season and replaced by Thomas, had 56 yards on 15 carries. He had averaged 179 yards rushing in the seven previous Sun Belt games he started.

"The defense gave us a chance to win the game, and our offense didn't come through," Cobbs said. "Our timing hasn't come together yet. We're not clicking at the same time."

Whibbs also had a 24-yard field goal, but missed a 31-yarder and had a 43-yard try blocked by Aaron Wheaters on the final play of the first half.

Nick Bazaldua missed a 51-yard field goal midway through the second quarter, but North Texas got the ball right back when Willie Ranson recovered a fumbled and returned it 24 yards to the Troy 17. But the Mean Green couldn't get a first down and had to settle for Bazaldua's 21-yard field goal.