10 Min Mean Green Athletics commercial

ipd054

I know most have gone home and blown up their TIVO but if you are one of the ones that has not watch the first 10 min of the third quarter.

Coach Fry was in the booth and for almost 10 min they talked about how far UNT has come. They talked about the new facilities (showed cgi film of the athletic center and new stadium) and even said that if you are a High Schooler in this area that you needed to check out these facilities. Went on to say that several teams that have National Championships would trade facilities right now if they could. They also talked about how good UNT has always been academically. This coupled with the shots from around campus (except for the fools playing flag football instead of being at the game) was the best commercial that the university could have had.

The game was not the best and we lost to a solid Troy team. I for one am not ashamed of how the Mean Green played tonight. These boys are young and need to learn the college game, next year will be better not great but better, but when these freshman and sophomores are juniors and seniors, the Mean Green are going to have some major upsets and prove that the sky may have dipped in 2005 but it did not fall.

Be supportive of these kids they are 18 and 19, hell when you were that age you could not even get into the bar more or less read a blitz package. Give them a year with our support and it will get better, beat them down with how horrible everything is and that their coach sucks, the QB could not hit the side of a barn and all this crap and you will make it come true.

Remember that not only do the players read this board so do the recruits.

Have and outstanding day and GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was awesome PR for UNT; your new Athletic Village complex is very impressive.

I was pulling for you guys; sorry, it ended the way it did. I thought you guys just might find a way to pull it out, when it got down to a 3 point game.

They talked about the new facilities (showed cgi film of the athletic center and new stadium) and even said that if you are a High Schooler in this area that you needed to check out these facilities.

Yes! I Tivoed the game and just finished watching it for the crowd shots and stuff. It was great to watch that segment on the new facilities. If you have the game recorded, it is worth watching that section. Everytime I see the animated plan for the new stadium, I get goosebumps, especially when I see it shown on NATIONAL TV. smile.gif

This coupled with the shots from around campus (except for the fools playing flag football instead of being at the game) was the best commercial that the university could have had. 

Those weren't live shots. The cameral crew goes around the day or night before the game to get shots for coming in and out of comercial breaks.

Those weren't live shots.   The cameral crew goes around the day or night before the game to get shots for coming in and out of comercial breaks.

Is NORTH TEXAS football just not cool enough for our fraternities to come out to, be seen and even be seen in public sitting together on national "freakin" ESPN 2 TV? Greek signs in the end zone at each game are fine, but where are the members of the fraternities of whom those signs represent?

And FWIW, what the hell else are NT fraternties doing on a Tuesday night (or should I even ask)?

Not too impressed with the greeks at UNT who should be showing as much school spirit as the NT cheerleaders. Oh well..... sad.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Is NORTH TEXAS football just not cool enough for our fraternities to come out to, be seen and even be seen in public sitting together on national "freakin" ESPN 2 TV?   Greek signs in the end zone at each game are fine,  but where are the members of the fraternities of whom those signs represent?

And FWIW, what the hell else are NT fraternties doing on a Tuesday night (or should I even ask)?

Not too impressed with the greeks at UNT who should be showing as much school spirit as the NT cheerleaders.  Oh well..... sad.gif

How do you know they weren't there? I saw letters in the end zone, How do those get there? They don't magically appear, they arent permanant fixtures the greeks have to bring them to each game. I saw their flags flying at the tailgate parties before the game so I know there were some greeks at the stadium before the game (and I saw them break down their parties and head into the stadium) I even saw Sigma Chi holding a banner in the student section through the game. Sure looks like they were there to me.

They were there, they were wearing green. I've seen post on this board slamming greeks when they wore their letters to the game for not wearing school colors Now that they are wearing green an blending in, people complain that they don't see the greeks.

If you disappointed with the student attendance, dont try and blame a group that makes up less than 10% of the student population.

Edited by Baby Arm!

How do you know they weren't there?   I saw letters in the end zone,  How do those get there?  They don't magically appear, they arent permanant fixtures the greeks have to bring them to each game.  I saw their flags flying at the tailgate parties before the game so I know there were some greeks at the stadium before the game (and I saw them break down their parties and head into the stadium)   I even saw Sigma Chi holding a banner in the student section through the game.   Sure looks like they were there to me.   

They were there,  they were wearing green.    I've seen post on this board slamming greeks when they wore their letters to the game for not wearing school colors  Now that they are wearing green an blending in,  people complain that they don't see the greeks.  

If you disappointed with the student attendance,   dont try and blame a group that makes up less than 10% of the student population.

I was impressed with the NT student turnout and for the Tulsa game it was the largest I'd ever seen in 32 years of all this, but visible and high profile groups (such as frats and sororities) on our campus merely need to set an example for other student groups to follow, that's all.

NT fraternities used to sit around their frat flags various areas of the student section and in another era, they had their logos painted in the areas of the student section concrete seating areas where they would all sit together as a group.

Just seems like a fraternity would want their group to be seen together at an NT football game in a show of solidarity. Guess this is a touchy subject with you for some reason?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I was impressed with the NT student turnout and for the Tulsa game it was the largest I'd ever seen in 32 years of all this, but visible and high profile groups (such as frats and sororities) on our campus merely need to set an example for other student groups to follow, that's all. 

NT fraternities used to sit around their frat flags various areas of the student section and in another era, they had their logos painted in the areas of the student section concrete seating areas where they would all sit together as a group.

Just seems like a fraternity would want their group to be seen together at an NT football game in a show of solidarity.  Guess this is a touchy subject with you for some reason?

Not touchy I just find it funny that people are so quick to assume the greeks aren't there when as I stated before there is ample evidence that they are.

Why dont you see flags? They dont allow flag poles inside the stadium, There were plenty of fraternity flags flying in the parking lot at the tailgate parties, and the painted areas of the student section?? That hasn't happened since the wood benches back in the 80's. It was a way for the Ath. Dept to get us to paint the bleachers for them but we couldnt reserve those seats. Once Fouts went to metal benches that put an end to that.

Im sure the current studenst would want their group to be seen together at NT football games, thats why they fly their flags at the tailgate party. But I'm glad to seem them wearing green to support UNT rather than wear their own colors/letters.

PMG, aren't you one of the one's that criticized the greek organizations for wearing their colors and letters to the games instead of dressing in green? Well, now they wear green and you can't differentiate them from the student body, so you assume they weren't there? Come on.

Those weren't live shots. The cameral crew goes around the day or night before the game to get shots for coming in and out of comercial breaks.

The shot of the guys playing flag football was very live!

I know most have gone home and blown up their TIVO but if you are one of the ones that has not watch the first 10 min of the third quarter.

Coach Fry was in the booth and for almost 10 min they talked about how far UNT has come.  They talked about the new facilities (showed cgi film of the athletic center and new stadium) and even said that if you are a High Schooler in this area that you needed to check out these facilities.  Went on to say that several teams that have National Championships would trade facilities right now if they could.  They also talked about how good UNT has always been academically.  This coupled with the shots from around campus (except for the fools playing flag football instead of being at the game) was the best commercial that the university could have had. 

The game was not the best and we lost to a solid Troy team.  I for one am not ashamed of how the Mean Green played tonight.  These boys are young and need to learn the college game,  next year will be better not great but better, but when these freshman and sophomores are juniors and seniors, the Mean Green are going to have some major upsets and prove that the sky may have dipped in 2005 but it did not fall.

Be supportive of these kids they are 18 and 19, hell when you were that age you could not even get into the bar more or less read a blitz package.  Give them a year with our support and it will get better, beat them down with how horrible everything is and that their coach sucks, the QB could not hit the side of a barn and all this crap and you will make it come true.

Remember that not only do the players read this board so do the recruits.

Have and outstanding day and GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a VERY nice promo for you guys! I didn't know about the push to get into the SWC back in Fry's days at UNT.

I was there - Sat in the student section with about a handful of guys from my Fraternity (alums and actives). I was surrounded by the Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority, saw many other girls with Alpha Delta Pi shirts. Sat next to a large group of Sigma Chi's that were all wearing UNT shirts but had Sigma Chi hats on. I also saw several Lamda Chi's that were dressed the same way. I was only in the section right by the tunnel the team comes out of. I saw several additional fraternities represented at the Tailgating before the game (including an additional 15 or so from my Fraternity). I have no idea where they sat, but I'm sure they were there.

I thought the greeks were very well represented.

I also was very impressed with the crowd.

That was a VERY nice promo for you guys!  I didn't know about the push to get into the SWC back in Fry's days at UNT.

yeah I believe that was why we left the Missouri Valley Conference and went Independent. That just shows you the main difference between Fry and Dickey. Fry says "someone's gotta be the #1 team in the nation, why can't it be us?", whereas Dickey just complains about not having the facilities or the fan support.

You do realize that the MVC -> CUSA and that our move to Indy -> 1aa? 

It was a gamble that failed miserbly when Fry left us to go to Iowa.

Yes, I'm not completely stupid....I didn't say what he did was or wasn't a gamble and whether he should have done it, but I give him props for trying. And I don't blame him for leaving for Iowa. With team's record in the 6 years he coached he demanded the fan's support and didn't get it.

I agree that the Fry interview and the video animation of the proposed facilities was great. I'm just afraid that the animation of the new facilities wasn't seen by many considering it was shown with about a minute and a half left in the game.