What I expect to see tonight against Troy

FirefightnRick

We are dead ass last on total offense, and we are ranked 92nd on rushing offense averaging 2.9 yards per cary. Can't even hardly believe that considering all we had coming back this year. Troy ranks 82nd in rushing defense giving up 3.92 yards per carry.

I expect something new and refreshing tonight on offense. This is not K State, Tulsa or even MTSU's defense we are facing tonight. Something must, will change for the better.

Rick

Rick, I hope you are right. We really need to get off to a good start. Everyone should be rested. It will be hot, but not smothering. I think the guys are tired of the butt kicking and ready to return the favor. I'm excited and scared at the same time. Kind of like both my wedding days. laugh.gif

I think that RF did a good job in mixing up the plays. 31 runs and 27 passes. We saw some options, deep passes, short passes, half back pass and our traditional off tackle plays.

68 or 69 running plays from Troy. They ran though our D line like butter.

Granted that we did not put up much on the board I think everyone has to admit that Meager is beginning to look better running and passing the ball.

RF, in my opinion, had one of his best game plans that I have seen as far as the number of different plays.

History tells us we start to mix it up more during OOC play. You saw what happened towards the end when you spread them out with the pass, but the 2 or 3 routes we run did not change other than the one crossing route Muzzy ran in the 3rd. A very rare crossing route I might add. But where was the tightend? Danny threw behind Davidson early on that 3rd down pass and I don't remember us ever going back to it.

My point is, practice this stuff in the spring. Install passing plays that utilize more of the field and more of the tightend like Tulsa did. Install an option attack. We have the personell to run an option gameplan and Meager had some success with it earlier in the game. Where was that stuff against Middle? Where was it against Tulsa? And when we do run it, you can tell from how poor the execution is that it's not a concern.

The lack of ability to spread out a team playing 9 and 10 men within 3 yards of the line, with the safety within 7 does not earn anyone a pass whatso ever. Especially the 4th and inches play handing the ball back 4 yards deep?

Rick

I think that RF did a good job in mixing up the plays.  31 runs and 27 passes.  We saw some options, deep passes, short passes, half back pass and our traditional off tackle plays.

A good job?

Why run the option against a defense that is obviously faster than your offense? You don't. You run the ball at them, but then again, you have to be stronger up front than they are. North Texas' o-line out-weighed Troy's d-line by about 30 lbs. but couldn't push them off the ball.

Pass plays? What other route was run besides the RB dump-off and the deep ball? As FFR noted, there was one crossing route by Muzzy, one by Quinn and, I believe, one out-route by Quinn. Other than that it is, "you all run deep and I'll throw it up for grabs."

It makes me sick to see how unimaginative DD's offense is when we have the talent of Cobbs, Thomas, Quinn, Muzzy, Jackson, Nwigwe, etc... What a waste.

On a brighter note, Fouts looked good on TV and Barnett and James did a very good job calling the game. Great interview with Coach Fry, James mentioned the new facilities, they showed the animated video of the new stadium, although late in the 4th quarter, and James mentioned how this would wow recruits and continue the growth of North Texas' program.

I will agree on some of the points but we saw where we were adjusting to the Troy State defense. Adjusting our offense to what the opposing team has been doing has been one big concern for many of us on this board.

1. When was the last time that about 1/2 our plays were passes under DD??

2. When was the last time that our O-Line has not been this effective against SBC Teams??

3. When was the last time we had a Redshirt Freshman start the season as QB??

In my humble opinion what I saw was DD & RF begining to open up our offense to compensate for what they have not been getting through the running of Cobbs and Thomas in the past. Hopefully, they will continue to do this to spread out the opponent's defense and not have 8 or 9 "in the box."

What may have seemed possible at the begining of the season to utilize Cobbs and Thomas like we had the previous years is evidently not working!!

Give DD and RF credit for the adjustments by implementing more passing plays. In my opinion, again, the more balanced the UNT team is the more effective we will be....and that may take a couple more games. We have the personnel to do this.

Meager still looks good and is gaining confidence every game.