Holman makes impact on field

MeanGreen61

Holman making impact on field for Mean Green

UNT linebacker starting to fulfill expectations

09:18 AM CDT on Friday, September 23, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

When asked about making the biggest play thus far this season for North Texas late on a Saturday night two weeks ago, Maurice Holman said it was just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

UNT defensive coordinator Kenny Evans is pretty sure there was a little more to it than just luck, even if it appeared as if Middle Tennessee quarterback Clint Marks went temporarily color blind in the Mean Green’s 14-7 win over the Blue Raiders.

MTSU had a seven-point lead in the second half and appeared to be on its way to putting UNT away when Marks threw the ball right to Holman, who took it 99 yards to the opposite end of the field for the game-tying touchdown.

The interception was just the latest in a series of big plays and solid performances by Holman, who has gone from afterthought to backup to starter in just over a year.

“Maurice is such a hard worker and student of the game,” Evans said. “He utilized his time last year when he was not starting in practice. When he got his opportunity he was ready for it. That is the difference between him and some people. Sometimes people want a chance and then don’t take advantage when they get one. Maurice did.”

The former Mt. Vernon standout will look to add to his list of big plays in UNT’s last three games when the Mean Green face perhaps their toughest task to date on Saturday, a 1:10 p.m. game at Kansas State.

Holman will enter that game with added confidence after leading the Mean Green with 10 tackles in last season’s New Orleans Bowl and essentially saving UNT in its game against MTSU.

Holman attributes his recent surge to his desire to make an impact this season.

“This offseason I decided that I wanted to play,” Holman said. “I am roommates with Patrick [Cobbs] and Chris [Miller]. They are seniors and I want them to go out with a bang.”

UNT’s coaches knew Holman had a chance to be an impact player when they signed him in the winter of 2003. It just took a little longer than expected for Holman to capitalize on his potential because of a knee injury he suffered before the beginning of his redshirt freshman season.

Holman was in the middle of a battle with fellow freshman Brandon Monroe for playing time and lost out when he had to miss several practices. A second chance came when Monroe was injured in the New Orleans Bowl, forcing Holman into the game.

“I got my chance to play in the New Orleans Bowl and didn’t want to let it go,” Holman said. “It was great to play under the lights on national TV with people at home watching. It was a great feeling.”

The way Holman played during that game was one of the first indications he had turned the corner. UNT coach Darrell Dickey said it appeared as if Holman broke through late last year when started reacting instead of thinking about what he needed to do on the field.

“Last year I second-guessed myself,” Holman said. “This year I know what to do and can follow my instincts.”

Those instincts are what helped Holman end up in the right spot to post his interception against MTSU.

“It was a great, great time against Middle Tennessee,” Holman said. “It was a good come-from-behind win for us in conference play.”

While Holman has progressed, Evans says he is just like the rest of the Mean Green’s young defensive players who still have a long way to go to reach their potential. Holman finished with three tackles last week and only played well in the first half against Tulsa before the Mean Green’s defense collapsed along the with the rest of the team in a 54-2 loss.

“Maurice is a brand new starter and every game is different,” Evans said. “He still needs to learn how to play with focus and intensity every game for four quarters.”

Taking that next step could help make Holman the complete player UNT’s coaches believe he can be.

“Maurice has the size, speed and strength,” Evans said. “Plus he is a very intelligent football player.”

Chapman to play against K-State

Defensive end Jeremiah Chapman will play against Kansas State on Saturday, UNT coach Darrell Dickey said Thursday.

Chapman’s status was in question because of an ankle injury until doctors cleared him on Wednesday. The sophomore ranks third on the team with 13 tackles and has also recovered a fumble.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.