Evacuation Time

DeepGreen

Time to go as they are calling for a mandatory evacuation of Beaumont/Port Arthur. 

It's a beautiful morning.

DeepGreen out. ph34r.gif

Be careful, Phil. Glad to read that you and family are gettting out. I hope to read other posts from GMG.com posters who will be doing the same. Yall keep us posted, guys. I know some of you have laptops.

Phil, I know you remember Hurricane Carla back in 1961 when we all had to leave the coast, but this Rita gal scares the hell out of me for all our fellow Texans and still many from Louisiana. Prayers to you all.

My position at work will require me to stay behind in Houston. My wife and family are secure in Waco. I will continue to update all of you from the coast as time and electricity allows.

What a welcome to Houston. Been here 5 1/2 months, been in my new house two weeks and now this. And I thought the Tulsa Hurricanes were tough.

I think we too are staying behind on the NW side here in Houston. Looks like its going to move east of Houston closer to Louisiana. Helped my parents board up their house today, so we'll see! Doesnt look like it will be easy to get out of the city anyways... my sister left for Austin this morning at 1am... well its 3pm right now and they arent even there yet... not even close! Going on 14 hours...

Prayers with everyone else who is/will be affected by this storm!

I can label this the trip from hell. It took me 18 freakin' hours to travel from roughly Port Arthur to College Station. mad.gif Two loaves of bread, two cases of water, peanut butter and jelly, I was set for this all important trip. What a nightmare. No stops, no pee breaks, just me, the highway, and 2,500,000 traveling nuts. Thank goodness for my new UNT coffee mug. It's a legend now!

I'm not too sure how my home and business will fair after Rita comes on shore. I am really expecting the worst case scenerio. No sympathy needed here, but we could lose everything. Wonder of the UNT athletic department needs another marketing guy? laugh.gif

But hey, I saved 10% on my insurance by switching to Geico!

I can label this the trip from hell.  It took me 18 freakin' hours to travel from roughly Port Arthur to College Station. mad.gif  Two loaves of bread, two cases of water, peanut butter and jelly, I was set for this all important trip.  What a nightmare.  No stops, no pee breaks, just me, the highway, and 2,500,000 traveling nuts.  Thank goodness for my new UNT coffee mug.  It's a legend now!

I'm not too sure how my home and business will fair after Rita comes on shore.  I am really expecting the worst case scenerio.  No sympathy needed here, but we could lose everything.  Wonder of the UNT athletic department needs another marketing guy? laugh.gif

But hey, I saved 10% on my insurance by switching to Geico!

Deep just glad to hear from ya.

Deep just glad to hear from ya.

Hang in there, Deep Green, MG61, two dogs, Houston posters and other Texas/Lousiana Gulf Coasters. Island Eagle, please let us know how you are faring. Sounds like Broadway Street and the Galveston seawall may have dodged a bullet?

Any of you others on the coast have any upates of your situation? Anyone need a place to stay? Let us know.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A little humor from our local paper's on-line edition as the print-paper has been suspended until Sunday due to the hurricane evacuation. Most businesses boarded & shut down, post office deliveries suspended (until Saturday), newspaper closed ..... but .......

Rita Doesn't stop Bingo

By kathryn garcia/Caller-Times

September 23, 2005

In a city with many of its residents evacuated and most businesses boarded up, bingo must go on.

"I just won $750," said 90-year-old Dafena Leyba, beaming as she continued dotting the G59s on her sheets of bingo cards carefully arranged before her.

El Mercado Bingo Hall reopened Friday morning after more than 30 regulars phoned owner Silverio Valencia begging him to let the bingo games continue.

"With bingo, it’s a part of their lives," said Valencia adding that despite Hurricane Rita he had the same amount of customers.

Leyba said she was grateful to have returned to her lucky chair having spent Thursday playing solitaire and watching telenovelas cooped up in her home alone.

"When I’m playing bingo, I don’t worry, I don’t think," Leyba said.

Contact Kathryn Garcia at 886-3792 or garciak@caller.com.

I live in NW Houston around the Willowbrook area. We've manned our stations with extra manpower and supplies, planning on not leaving the station for a couple days. All week we've planned and prepared. Now the storm is going to almost miss us. We'll get some serious weather, but nothing compared to what we prepared for and we're thankful for that.

DeepGreen - I hope all is well when you get back home. That drive back is going to suck some serious butt.

UNTLifer - We're down the street.

You guys let me know if I can be of assistance. If we're not too busy with runs, I'll lend all assistance I can.

If I can, I'll provide you guys with some updates.