DMN Brandon Monroe to start at middle LB

OldTimer

Monroe to start for UNT against K-State

02:16 AM CDT on Thursday, September 22, 2005

By BRETT VITO / The Dallas Morning News

DENTON – Brandon Monroe will start at middle linebacker when UNT faces Kansas State on Saturday, UNT defensive coordinator Kenny Evans said.

Monroe will replace Derek Mendoza, who will be part of a four-man rotation at the Mean Green's three linebacker spots. Monroe started 11 of 12 games last season and finished second on the team with 63 tackles.

Briefly ...

Sophomore defensive end Jeremiah Chapman sprained his ankle in practice. UNT is waiting for the results of an exam to determine the extent of the injury.

I may be alone on this, but I think it's a good move. Mendoza seems to get the most love on this board, but other than a couple of well-timed (and easy) interceptions, I can't think of a lot of big plays that he's made. Monroe seems to be faster and is at least as sure a tackler.

Mendoza is good, and should play, but I think Monroe is the starter. Still waiting to see Travis Thompson in action too.

I may be alone on this, but I think it's a good move.  Mendoza seems to get the most love on this board, but other than a couple of well-timed (and easy) interceptions, I can't think of a lot of big plays that he's made.  Monroe seems to be faster and is at least as sure a tackler.

Mendoza is good, and should play, but I think Monroe is the starter.  Still waiting to see Travis Thompson in action too.

Could this be one of the shakeups that DD promised after last Saturday's game?? Sure seems like it. I, also, don't understand why T. Thompson hasn't played at all....I didn't get to go to the scrimmages to see him in action but everyone on the board was all in a tizzy about how good he was.....what's the deal there? Anyone know?

Edited by TIgreen01

Mendoza hits like a ton of bricks. Unfortunately he also has the speed of a ton of bricks. Derek is a player, no doubt, but we need speed, speed and more speed on the field.

Sure seems like it.  I, also, don't understand why T. Thompson hasn't played at all....I didn't get to go to the scrimmages to see him in action but everyone on the board was all in a tizzy about how good he was.....what's the deal there?  Anyone know?

For the same matter what was all the big hubbub about Ransome and Pistole?? huh.gif