Well, this will be odd

stebo

It's a complex thing here...DD? Flanny? The OL? Danny?

MTSU hit us with a million guys in the box about 2 weeks ago. Thanks to a good DL and our QB's difficulty at stretching the D, it worked. Southern Miss finally did what a lot of Belt schools have been trying to do- and that's stack the line to hit the RB before he can break a run, or hit the QB before he can pass. Southern Miss had a bigger stronger D, to boot.

Tulsa had it even easier with a new center, bigger guys, and a rookie QB. I've done this in that NCAA game where if you know they can't pass, then keep blitzing until they show they can pass. It controls the pace of the game and it also keeps the O off the field.

I'd like to think that DD and Flanny have by now realized that it only works on SBC teams, and in the MTSU case, it doesn't work without effective passing. They'll have to find another gameplan because run-run-run doesn't work unless we can PASS.

I'll support a coach who will have NT competing in OOC. If its dd, fine, if not, lets find the one who will. Personally, I am getting tired of his barry bonds attitude. Did it occur to him that if we were competitive in OOC, much of the dd bashing would stop? As for the coordinators, I'd like to know why #20 was open all night long. I want fannygin gone. Why would you hire an offensive coordinator who played for SMU? Thats like an oxymoron. They stack 9 in the box, allow the QB to audible into a hot route to the TE or a quick passing route to a reciever. Those always work. Hell, I can throw a hot route. Oh, and the unsportsmanlike crap is rediculous.

Why would you hire an offensive coordinator who played for SMU?  Thats like an oxymoron. 

We have a head coach with coached at who has managed to find a way to get us to more bowl games than any other coach we ever had. That is why he is still here. That's why one game season - no matter how bad - will not cause him to be fired.

I was on the bus coming back from Monroe four years ago. At the time, I wanted DD fired. I don't any more since DD has shown he can win when others can not. I've heard excuses and justifications for all the other coaches, but DD found a way to get us to a bowl when no one else did!

I'm glad I don't work for a lot of the posters on this board. "Yes, you exceeded your quota for the last four years. But, you didn't make it between 8am and noon today so you're out of here!"

It's a complex thing here...DD? Flanny? The OL? Danny?

MTSU hit us with a million guys in the box about 2 weeks ago. Thanks to a good DL and our QB's difficulty at stretching the D, it worked. Southern Miss finally did what a lot of Belt schools have been trying to do- and that's stack the line to hit the RB before he can break a run, or hit the QB before he can pass. Southern Miss had a bigger stronger D, to boot.

Tulsa had it even easier with a new center, bigger guys, and a rookie QB. I've done this in that NCAA game where if you know they can't pass, then keep blitzing until they show they can pass. It controls the pace of the game and it also keeps the O off the field.

I'd like to think that DD and Flanny have by now realized that it only works on SBC teams, and in the MTSU case, it doesn't work without effective passing. They'll have to find another gameplan because run-run-run doesn't work unless we can PASS.

Exactly. Tulsa showed two weeks ago what their D line could do against Oklahoma and it was no surprise to see them creeping up all night long against us. What is bothersome though is that our run was affective in the first quarter. Cobbs made them look silly a few times but the holding penalties equalized that every time.

This is a very experienced O line. There is no reason we cannot get max protection from them, but we are going to have to have some help on the outside to keep them back or teams are going to stack the line from here on. You think the Tulsa game was ugly, wait until you see what K State's speed does this saturday.

Rick

Amongst all the other dark thoughts that I had while I was driving home Saturday night, I kept thinking of that old adage about college football teams. "The biggest improvement in a college team happens between the first and second week". sad.gif

I hope the football gods give us a "do-over" on that one. cool.gif

AND, as to the statement that screen passes never work? I believe that EVERY screen pass that TULSA ran worked perfectly well. Including that WR screen that went for a touchdown.

SO, can we attribute that to Tulsa having better execution on offense, or us having a dumb defense. My friend (who used to cover North Texas games during the Hayden Fry era for the Gainesville paper) turned to me and said "just how many times are they going to fall for that sucker play?".

---It is not losing that bothered me so much as how..... it is the stupidity shown... falling for a 4th down sucker punt (twice). Throwing "regularly" on first down when running is our strength and even many of those were completed for losses, two many stupid penalities (unsportsmanlike or penalities on the side opposite from were the ball was going, why then?). Why throw or call time out when we were hopelessly 30 down in the final two min.... we gave up 14 mores points as a result and then really looked bad........ THINK..........There is a lot more to football than the physical part....