FT Worth *Teleglrlam Rare season opening victory

OldTimer

Posted on Fri, Sep. 16, 2005

Rare season-opening victory gives Mean Green an early confidence boost

By JEFF WILSON

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Patrick Cobbs has been at North Texas since 2001 and has seen his share of remarkable feats.

The Mean Green has won four Sun Belt Conference titles and has lost only one conference game.

Cobbs was the 2003 national rushing champion and is on the verge of becoming the school's all-time leading rusher.

But after a victory last week at Middle Tennessee State, Cobbs achieved a first in his five seasons in Denton: 1-0.

"It feels good to be undefeated," he said. "It hasn't happened in a long time. It's real important to us."

UNT's 14-7 win was the Mean Green's first season-opening triumph of the Darrell Dickey era and first since 1996, against Division I-AA Illinois State. UNT hadn't started the season with a victory against a Division I-A opponent since beating Texas Tech in 1988.

And being undefeated, even after only one game, has provided an early confidence boost heading into Saturday's home opener against Tulsa.

"When you struggle early like we have in the past, it's really a lot of hard work to convince guys we can do it," Dickey said. "Getting that first one under the belt, I think they feel like they can do things better than if you're 0-1, 0-2 or 0-5, as we've been."

The Mean Green, which had its scheduled season opener at LSU postponed by Hurricane Katrina, has started 0-5 once, 0-4 three times and 0-2 once in Dickey's first seven seasons.

UNT is 1-0 on two fronts. The victory over the Blue Raiders also gave the Mean Green a fourth consecutive perfect start to Sun Belt Conference play.

"The last time I've been 1-0 was my sophomore year in high school," said receiver Johnny Quinn of McKinney.

"The thing we do really well around here is, regardless of if we're 1-0 or 0-1, we go into the new week as a new week. Yes, we're 1-0, but at the same time, when we were 0-1 and 0-2, we prepare the same way. "

There have been a few subtle differences this week. One came Tuesday when practice closed with the team shouting "Undefeated." Cobbs and Quinn said the focus this week has been keeping that chant alive for another week.

"We got one last week, and we're planning on getting one this week," said Cobbs, who needs 122 yards to break Ja'Quay Wilburn's career rushing record (3,120).

"After that, we'll be 1-0 in the conference and outside of it."

IN THE KNOW

Tulsa at North Texas

6 p.m. Saturday, Fouts Field, Denton

Radio: KWRD/100.7 FM; KNTU/88.1 FM

Tickets: Call 1-800-868-2366 or go to meangreensports.com

UNT'S KEYS TO THE GAME

Quarterback improvement: Daniel Meager missed 25 percent of his checks in the opener, coach Darrell Dickey said, a number that must be reduced.

Offensive line improvement: Without a consistent passing threat to free the running game, the offensive line needs to play better than it did against Middle Tennessee State.

Defense improvement: The unit forced five turnovers despite 39 missed assignments and only one sack. Look for a simplified scheme.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Wilson, (817) 390-7953 jwilson@star-telegram.com

Why can't NT open the season with a winnable game against lower division teams, THEN play the money bag game?

Edited by OldTimer

UNT'S KEYS TO THE GAME

Quarterback improvement: Daniel Meager missed 25 percent of his checks in the opener, coach Darrell Dickey said, a number that must be reduced.

Offensive line improvement: Without a consistent passing threat to free the running game, the offensive line needs to play better than it did against Middle Tennessee State.

Defense improvement: The unit forced five turnovers despite 39 missed assignments and only one sack. Look for a simplified scheme.

I agree with his Keys to the Game; plus more carries for JMo.

whatever you do dont say that J-MO needs more carries.............

I know people kinda jumped on you for that and I am not sure why. Surely most would agree the jamario needs more than 10 carries.

I am going to trust DD on this one and believe that in the end it will all even out though.