WAC off to a stumbling start

MeanGreen61

WAC off to a stumbling start

By David White / The Fresno Bee

September 14, 2005

Which Central Section football teams are likely to be the best and win division titles this season? Visit the High School Football section throughout the season.

Keith said: I watch both the Clovis High and CW games this weekend and I can't see the Eagles being as strong...

[Join the talk!] Boise State is back to Year 1. Most of its Western Athletic Conference peers are trying to reach Win1.

All that adds up to trouble for the WAC.

It starts at the top with the Broncos, who have been bucked off their high-riding horse with their first 0-2 start since 2001. That's the year coach Dan Hawkins took over for Arizona State-bound Dirk Koetter, and also the last time Boise State lost more than one game in a season.

The three-time defending WAC champion hardly is alone at the bottom of the barrel.

WAC teams are 2-12 after two weeks, and both those victories (by No.23 Fresno State and San Jose State) came against Division I-AA opponents.

There isn't a Division I-A conference with a worse overall mark. Even the Sun Belt Conference, which the WAC raided for Idaho, Utah State and New Mexico State last year, has a better record at 3-12.

"I can just as easily see a scenario where we're 2-0 and everyone's booking their tickets to the Rose Bowl," Hawkins said. "It's just not an easy schedule for us. We have to embrace that and be able to hold hands with the beast.

"If you don't enjoy that, then you're certainly not going to enjoy this season."

The fall of Boise State has proven particularly egregious to the WAC, which competes with the Mountain West, Conference USA and other non-Bowl Championship Series conferences for national-media love.

Boise State is the WAC's feature presentation with 26straight conference victories and 25straight home wins, both the longest such streaks in the nation.

Nationally televised losses at Georgia and Oregon State have sent Boise State to the who's-not list of potential BCS busters.

"We try not to get caught up in the highs and lows of what goes on out there, if it's good or bad," Hawkins said. "This crew hasn't seen a lot of bad. Nobody likes losing here. We have to forget it and move on."

Boise State has this weekend off before hosting Bowling Green next Wednesday.

Fresno State, Idaho and Louisiana Tech each plays a BCS opponent this weekend, while New Mexico State and Nevada take on in-state rivals from the Mountain West.

Hawaii coach June Jones sees brighter days ahead. They're called conference games.

"[boise State] lost two tough games against two tough opponents," said Jones, whose team has lost to USC and Michigan State by a combined count of 105-31.

"I don't really put a whole lot into that right now. It's tough to go on the road and win. They're still a very good football team."