Weather for Saturday

NT80

---Summary, I found it from the "chopped" link. -- In 1922 they were hoping to blow away opponents and chose not to use Tornados and they needed a team name after using several others earlier when the school itself had several name before uniting as one college

---Their Hall of Fame (athletics) has several names that I recognize well.. The link below lists Bill Anderson who had 502 yards passing in one game. He had a very good NFL career at Cincinnati. I am pretty sure I saw the game he mentioned in Denton against us. It was a very odd game.. Both teams had passing teams and about 100 passes were thrown.. [ Anderson QB for Tulsa, Carlin for NTSU ] This was extremely unusual in a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" era and I think it set an NCAA record at the time. The 'number of passes' happened largely because when there were two extreme passing teams, the game is extremely long time-wise. The clock stops on every incompletion and there are a lot of passing plays that end out of bounds because the ball is thrown wide. That is one reason TexTech games are so long time-wise and the scores get so high, there is a lot of time to score. It was an very entertaining game. Data warehouse shows the score as 27-20. You would think the score would be higher.

---The week after that, NT played Arkansas and the set their all-time record for passing yards allowed. I am sure that record is long gone now since passing is much more common place now. The MVC was a "pass-happy" league at the time and is much more like what seen now than what was commonplace then.

http://tulsahurricane.collegesports.com/ge...billyguy00.html

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Be there, No excuses:

Saturday: Mainly sunny. Highs in the mid 90s and lows in the low 70s.   biggrin.gif

So, how did inland Tulsa get that "Golden Hurricanes" nickname anyway??   blink.gif

Back before the last Ice Age, Tulsa was on the coast and the site of some of the fiercest Hurricanes ever recorded (tornado's have only recently affected the region).

A group of locals decided that some type advance warning system was needed. They would stand on beach and sound the bugle as the first waves would appear on the horizon to warn their fellow citizens. The "Captain" of the group would stay about 50 - 100 yards ahead of the bugle boy to help keep sightseers away and to tell people where the shelters were. The group started calling themselves the "Hurricane Alert Squad" and the Captain's nickname eventually became "Captain Cane".

The color gold was due to the high latitude of Tulsa. As the storm rolled in, the clouds preceding some of the most intense storms would turn gold at sunset.

Thus the legend of the "Golden Hurricane" and the 'Bugled' "Captain Cane" were born.

HA!

Edited by Weatherdemon

---So it was Captain Cane that was always hurrying the people to get into a shelter.... thus the people became "Hurricanes". HMMMMMM .. I like your version, I had heard the gold part came from the fact they disovered gold while digging shelters. ...... LOL

---Let's send them back to the Ice Age this Saturday..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66