DMN Cobbs close to record

OldTimer

UNT's Cobbs close to record

Tulsa game may make him North Texas' all-time rusher

09:40 PM CDT on Monday, September 12, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Running back Patrick Cobbs, who sat most of the 2004 season with a knee injury, is on the verge of being North Texas' all-time rushing leader.

UNT leaned on Cobbs in its opener against Middle Tennessee on Saturday and watched the veteran respond with 103 yards and the winning touchdown in a 14-7 victory.

Cobbs' performance not only answered questions about his health, it also left him within striking distance of the Mean Green's rushing record. Cobbs has 2,999 career rushing yards. He needs 122 yards to surpass Ja'Quay Wilburn's record of 3,120 yards, set from 1997 to 2000. He could break the record at home Saturday against Tulsa.

"I have not really even thought about the record," Cobbs said. "If it helps us win on Saturday, that will be great. If not, it won't really matter."

Cobbs won the 2003 national rushing title with an average of 152.7 yards per game. Last year, he sprained his knee in an early-season loss to Florida Atlantic. Jamario Thomas took over and won the Mean Green's second straight national rushing title with an average of 180.1 yards.

Cobbs carried 28 times in the pair's first game sharing carries and also caught a team-high four passes for 36 yards.

"I really didn't expect to carry the ball that many times," Cobbs said. "I kept getting in there and getting the tough yards. I am sure there will be nights like this, where I will get more carries than Jamario, and there will be nights where he will get more carries than me."

Thomas rushed for 58 yards on 10 carries.

"We didn't feel like switching a whole lot with the game in the balance," UNT coach Darrell Dickey said. "They will switch off next week or the week after. It will balance out by the end of the season."

The most important carry came in the third quarter when Cobbs scored on a 4-yard run to break a 7-7 tie.

"I was surprised that he was back up to speed," MTSU coach Andy McCollum said. "He looked like the Cobbs of old."

UNT's career rushing leaders list includes former Kansas City Chiefs great Abner Haynes and Cleveland Browns legend Ray Renfro.

"When it is all said and done, to be the school's leading rusher will be a big accomplishment, even though it might not last long with Jamario." Cobbs said. "I never really thought about the record. My goal has always been to do whatever it takes to help us win."

added info in this article from DRC

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.comUNT RUSHING LEADERS

Rusher Seasons Yards

1. Ja'Quay Wilburn 1997-00 3,120

2. Patrick Cobbs 2001- 2,999

3. Kevin Galbreath 2001-02 2,417

4. Bernard Jackson 1977-80 2,256

5. Ken Bahnsen 1950-52 2,082

OTHER

10. Jamario Thomas 2004- 1,859

Tulsa (0-2) at UNT (1-0), 6 p.m. Saturday, Fouts Field, Denton (KWRD-FM 100.7; KNTU-FM 88.1)

Edited by OldTimer

I hope that JaQuay Wilburn will be on hand.

He played last year for the Odessa Roughnecks, who went 17-1 last year, the Roughnecks are currently one of the teams in the NIFL.

Jaquay not only is the #1 rusher in North Texas history (3,120) he is the #2 rusher all time at Odessa Permian (4,046).

Here is a pic of him from the Roughnecks website:

user posted image

I hope that JaQuay Wilburn will be on hand.

He played last year for the Odessa Roughnecks, who went 17-1 last year, the Roughnecks are currently one of the teams in the NIFL.

Jaquay not only is the #1 rusher in North Texas history (3,120) he is the #2 rusher all time at Odessa Permian (4,046).

Here is a pic of him from the Roughnecks website:

user posted image

If you can contact him, invite him to the game. The Athletic Department probably hasn't thought about inviting him.