No mention of DD not running up the score?

MeanGreen61

I don't think it was necessarily class so much as brains.  You try and punch it in and you risk a turnover, which could subsequently be returned for a TD.  I've seen it happen.  Dickey wisely and conservatively chose to run the clock out.

I seem to recall a Baylor team that tried to score a needless TD and ended up losing a ball game. laugh.gif

I seem to recall a Baylor team that tried to score a needless TD and ended up losing a ball game. laugh.gif

I seem to recall a NMSU team that tried to score a needless TD and ended up losing a share of a conference championship, and the team that came back and scored got to go to a bowl game. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Tony Samuel said he was going for the 'cous de grace' touchdown. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

--- It was class and it was smart..... MTSU players realized what happened would be a lot less hostile and this defuses problems. I have been around for a while I can remember seeing players getting hurt in meaningless plays... most were accidental but some I suspect were the result of get-even attitudes.

---Besides we play them again next year, no sense in doing something to motivate them more for revenge.

I was confused when DD took the FG points off the scoreboard and accepted the penalty against MT and the ball back. I was yelling at the TV "we're up 17-7 and you do what??". I thought he wanted a TD (more points ala Baylor) instead of the FG. Then I saw them down the ball and realized MT was out of timeouts and they didn't have to risk a kickoff this way. All is forgiven, except 21-7 would have looked better in the papers! cool.gif