UNT-LSU Reschedule Nearly Done

MeanGreen61

Football: UNT-LSU reschedule nearly done

Details for game to be finalized by this morning

09:16 AM CDT on Friday, September 9, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas is finalizing a deal that would allow the Mean Green to reschedule their game against LSU, UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said.

“We are working out the last details and will know by morning,” Villarreal said Thursday night. “We have everyone on the same page and are waiting on the last phone call. It’s a matter of dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s.”

Villarreal declined comment on the exact scenario that would allow UNT to play its game against the Tigers that was scheduled for Sept. 3. The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina forced the teams to postpone the game.

UNT has considered multiple solutions to reschedule the game, including the following changes:

* UNT and LSU would reschedule their game for Oct. 29.

* UNT would move its game against ULM to Nov. 19, a bye week for the Mean Green.

* ULM would then push back its game against Louisiana-Lafayette from Nov. 19 to Nov. 26.

The problem with that scenario is that it would leave ULM with back-to-back open weeks. ULM athletic director Bobby Staub said he is hesitant to make the change because of the effect it would have on his team.

A second plan mentioned could have UNT play LSU on Oct. 29, ULM on Oct. 22 and Louisiana Tech on Nov. 19.

Villarreal originally set a Thursday deadline for LSU the game to be rescheduled. That deadline was pushed back, but all of the teams involved want to get the deal done as soon as possible.

“We hoped we would have had this done, but we’ve run into a couple of challenges,” said Dan Radakovich, a senior associate athletic director at LSU. “It’s something that we are working feverishly to finish up because time is of the essence.”

LSU already has lost one home date when Saturday’s game against Arizona State was moved from Baton Rouge, La., to Tempe, Ariz.

The loss of the ASU home game only added to the importance of playing the UNT-LSU game in Baton Rouge, to both programs. UNT has signed a $500,000 contract to play the game.

LSU was expected to draw a capacity crowd of more than 90,000 and would also receive a financial boost from playing the Mean Green. Villarreal said the game would still be played in Baton Rouge.

“We hate that everyone has had to go through this,” Villarreal said. “LSU has already lost one home game and people are going through a lot in Louisiana. To go over there and play a game will be great.”

Agbottah cleared to play

UNT freshman safety Kartay Agbottah has finally received his paperwork from the NCAA Clearinghouse and will be eligible to play this season, UNT head coach Darrell Dickey said Thursday.

Dickey said Agbottah had the necessary test scores and grades all along, but the Clearinghouse was slow to process the information. The former Irving MacArthur standout missed 10 days of practice and will not travel with the Mean Green to their game at Middle Tennessee on Saturday.

Agbottah is listed as a backup at free safety and is expected to contribute this season. Dickey said senior Cass Starks and freshman Steve Warren would help fill the void in UNT’s secondary.

The Baton Rouge Advocate contributed to this report.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

ULM and ULL may come out of this very well. If LSU is expecting to make $3 million and pay UNT $500,000 they've got wiggle room in their budget to compensate them for their trouble.

I read on Tiger Droppings that LSU would have made $4 million for their home season opener vs NT before it was postponed.

And if ULM gets a nice windfall from all this, I hope NT at least gets a Christmas card in the mail from the Indian Nation. sad.gif And if we do, I have to wonder if NT or LSU would have to pay for the postage part, too? ph34r.gif

I read on Tiger Droppings that LSU would have made $4 million for their home season opener vs NT before it was postponed.

And if ULM gets a nice windfall from all this, I hope NT at least gets a Christmas card in the mail from the Indian Nation. sad.gif  And if we do, I have to wonder if NT or LSU would have to pay for the postage part, too? ph34r.gif

Actually, ULM should get an apology from you for all the badmouthing you did about them.

Actually, ULM should get an apology from you for all the badmouthing you did about them.

Before you get angry, let's wait to hear what the entire deal entails. This deal could have been done much sooner if ULM had agreed to move the game earlier. They were dragging their feet. As much as they were protesting against having the two open weeks in a row, I have a feeling they got something pretty good out of the deal.

The amount of pressure LSU can put on a program is probably pretty impressive. The "badmouthing" that was done on this board was based on fact - ULM really didn't want to reschedule their games. Perhaps a few people jumped the gun, but I wouldn't say the accusations are entire unfounded.

ULM probably didn't have a choice. Beleive an Arkstfan post said they are to receive $1million for playing a future game at LSU as part of some agreement to aid/play instate schools........but that LSU has the option to cancel. That's a big stick cool.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61