Interesting D by Memphis

GreenFlag

I was watching the 4th quarter of the Memphis-Ole Miss game and saw an interesting defensive scheme employed by the Tigers. The had 2 DL and 5 LB's. The DL's would tie up as many blockers as they could and 2 to 5 LB's would blitz the gaps.

It was pure genius for a team short on debth/talent on the DL and strong on debth/talent at LB.

Is it something we might consider?

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Well they lost the game in any event. But they did hold a dangerous QB to 10 points.

Very sad about Memphis' starting QB. Waits a long time to start and then gets 3 plays before a broken ankle.

maybe this 2-5 you saw was just a variation of the 3-3-5 they run: I wouldn't be suprised if they brought up one of their dbs and took a lineman and dropped him back a little.

That may very well be the case. Since I am not familiar with their personell I was judging by size. Two hogmollies down, five bad-a linebackerish looking guys standing 2 yards behind the hogmollies. Some plays the LB's would cheat up real close to the line of scrimmage like a DE, sometimes not. They always had at least 2 of the LB's rush/shoot gaps.

It reminded me of what Corky Nelson might do in that situation-find a scheme based on talent available. I am intrigued, I'll ask over on the Memphis board.

Interesting. Just a gues here but I think we have done the same thing in the past from the 3-4 when Booger was here. That may be what we saw at times when Booger would all of a sudden drop back in a passing lane. I'll never forget one play against Idaho in which he dropped back 3 to 4 yards at the snap of the ball, then a WR running a cross and up caught the ball just behind Brandon only to have Booger run him down from behind before the guy could get going.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick