Tulane Football Will HQ At Louisiana Tech

MeanGreen61

Louisiana Tech to Welcome Tulane

Posted Sep 6, 2005 09:35:51

RUSTON – Due to the affects of Hurricane Katrina, Tulane’s football team will now call Louisiana Tech home for the 2005 season.

Both universities made the announcement Tuesday morning that the Green Wave football program – players, coaches and support staff – would be moving from their temporary home in Dallas to Ruston later this week.

The Green Wave football players will be enrolling in classes, which don’t begin at Tech until Sept. 12, and using the universities athletic facilities during this season. The players and coaches will be housed in Caruthers Dorm on the university campus at first until additional housing becomes available.

“I’m absolutely delighted that we are able to help our sister institution,” said Tech President Dr. Dan Reneau. “We will make every effort to make their stay as pleasant as possible.”

Last Tuesday following Hurricane Katrina’s landfall along the gulf coast, Tech Athletic Director Jim Oakes called Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky to offer assistance to both Tulane and Southern Mississippi.

At the time, Southern Mississippi opted to head to Memphis while Tulane went to SMU’s campus in Dallas. However, head coach Chris Scelfo and associate athletic director Scott Sidwell ventured to Ruston Monday to meet with university officials and survey the situation.

Following the visit, Tulane officials told Tech officials they would accept the offer and are expected to be in Ruston by Monday in time for the first day of classes.

“Louisiana Tech University is more than happy to have Tulane’s football players, coaches and support staff call Ruston, La., home for as long as is needed," Oakes said. "It’s in times like these that it is so important to reach out to your neighbors. Dr. Reneau, the entire university and our community are more than happy to accommodate Tulane in any way possible.”

In addition to Tulane’s football team moving to Louisiana Tech, the other Green Wave athletic programs will be based at Texas A&M, Texas Tech, SMU and Rice.

Tulane is scheduled to hold a teleconference today at 11 a.m. CST. To participate in the conference call, dial 719-933-1363 and enter the passcode 692583.

Posted by: LaTechSports.com on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 07:52 AM

I think they will be attending classes at LTU also, if I interpret the article correctly.

If you didn't read it right we BOTH need to bone up on our reading comprehension skills because I read it the same way.

Even if they weren't in classes the NCAA has the authority to waive elgibility rules in time of disaster.

So I guess the NCAA is going to allow them to play football even if they are not in classes?

The Green Wave football players will be enrolling in classes, which don’t begin at Tech until Sept. 12, and using the universities athletic facilities during this season. The players and coaches will be housed in Caruthers Dorm on the university campus at first until additional housing becomes available.

Last Tuesday following Hurricane Katrina’s landfall along the gulf coast, Tech Athletic Director Jim Oakes called Conference USA Commissioner Britton Banowsky to offer assistance to both Tulane and Southern Mississippi.

the article left off the last part of Oakes call to the CUSA Commish:

"...to offer assistance to both Tulane and Southern Mississippi and to beg for LTU's admittance into the conference in the future."

Was reading Bulldogs, Barks and Bytes (La Tech message board) and one of their posters IMHO distastefully brought up this theme that because TU's football players were now atttending classes in Ruston that this would help LTU eventually gain more allies in a possible future vote for their admittance to CUSA.

Some of the La Tech elect are beyond help on this CUSA subject because I think using the USA's worst natural disaster in history for some semblance of selfish gain, ie, a CUSA vote may be treading on going about as low as you can get. ph34r.gif

If TU football players were attending NT and something like that was posted on this board, I think many of us would call Harry to have it immediately taken off (and knowing Harry I think he would do so in a New York minute). But mostly, I'd like to think none of our NT posters would even be thinking in that mode.

LTU better think in terms of more and new D1-A type facilties than thinking about buddying up with Tulane officals for the sole purpose of getting their future vote. As it is, I thought the LTU'ers were completely satisfied with being in the WAC. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

But mostly, I'd like to think none of our NT posters would even be thinking in that mode.

Man, how can you NOT think that way now? As distasteful as it is, it seems like from here on out it is all about politics. Just look at all the politicians descending upon The Big Easy. Louisiana is a strange place when it comes to politics. Just saying that we should not forget this if we find ourselves on the outside looking in a few years from now.

Keith

----LaTech really needs to go somewhere besides the WAC. They are too far away to be in that group. They need to do almost anything to improve their situation which is terrible now.

----CUSA is not all that stable ...it will not surprise me to see us in with the West-CUSA group along with LaTech eventually. [ maybe even with a different conference name] The CUSA/SunBelt shuffle is far from over. For the time being we just need to improve, hope the Belt overall improves , and begin winning non-conf. games to improve our image and gain respect. Personally I felt SMU, Houston, Rice, TCU, etc. messed up by not keeping the SWC together and trying to add, UNT, UTEP, LaTech and perhaps Tulsa, LLU, or NMSU to replace the departing members. There would have been better fan support than they have had.

----This is the right thing for Tulane to do, all Tulane students and athletes need somewhere to go. Staying in the state for the athletic program is better if possible. The students in general will scatter, paying tuition and expenses will be a complicated issue.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66