2005 NT Football Preview

MeanGreen61

http://www.ntdaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART...0/43140cc11644f

2005 North Texas football preview

Blockers key to running backs and quarterbacks’ success

Rian Johnson

Staff Writer

August 30, 2005

With an offensive depth chart loaded with more firepower than in recent years, it is the offensive line that will determine the success of the Mean Green offense.

It is no secret that NT will rely on a rushing game that features two national rushing champions in Jamario Thomas and Patrick Cobbs. With the ability of its backfield unquestioned, the key to its running game will be the ability of the Mean Green to replace two all-conference linemen, Andy Brewster and Lonnie Chambers.

“Our offensive line deserves a lot of credit for the things that Jamario and I have done,” Cobbs said. “They may not deserve all the credit, but they deserve a majority of it.

“Without those front five we are nothing at all.”

The offensive line will be anchored by right guard Dylan Lineberry, who is looking to improve on a breakout season last year. Lineberry’s performance as a sophomore awarded him a spot on the all-conference second team and yielded him the newcomer of the year, awards that have the junior working even harder this offseason.

“It makes me push myself harder,” Lineberry said. “Knowing that people think I am good makes me want to prove that I am even better.”

Technically, NT is replacing three starters on the offensive line. However, the Mean Green does have experience returning at right tackle with Jeremy Brown. Brown started the first four games of last season before a bout with Mono sidelined him the remainder of the season. In addition to Brown and Lineberry, left tackle Joel Foster returns for the Mean Green after starting every game at the position last season. The question marks will be center and left guard, most likely occupied by Chad Rose and Jason May, respectively. NT coach Darrell Dickey is fully confident in the abilities of this year’s offensive line; it is just a matter of timing.

“We have some youth and experience there, it is just a matter of how quickly that group comes together,” Dickey said.

After running behind the line all month, Cobbs believes the unit is approaching where it needs to be, and will only strengthen as the season begins.

“They look good,” Cobbs said. “Those guys are taking care of the new guys. They should be well on their way, and they will only get better as the season goes on.”

Creating running lanes for the most potent backfield in Mean Green history is not the unit’s only role, it must protect NT’s most fragile position, quarterback. After losing last year’s backup to academic ineligibility, the Mean Green is looking at a variety of athletes to fill the role, none of whom has taken a collegiate snap.

In addition to their lack of experience, Dickey sees similar attributes in all of the candidates.

“They can all run, are good throwers, competitive, and have the intelligence necessary to do what we have them do,” Dickey said.

Whoever assumes that role will have more than the Cobbs/Thomas backfield to fall upon. The NT offense will feature one of its best receivers in history, Johnny Quinn. Quinn led the Mean Green in both receptions and receiving yards each of the last two seasons. Junior Zach Muzzy will fill the receiving slot opposite of Quinn. Last year, Muzzy was third on the team with 16 receptions, averaging 14.2 yards per reception. The return of junior Joel Nwigwe will also add another down-the-field threat to the offense.

“Joel [Nwigwe] and Johnny Quinn are probably our two fastest straight ahead runners,” Dickey said. “But Ja’Mel Branch has unbelievable quickness and an ability to make guys miss.”

Sophomore Brandon Jackson and senior Ja’Mel Branch, who is expected to be an every down defensive back in addition to his limited receiving duties, will add depth at a position Dickey is excited about.

“We probably have the best core of receivers that we have had since I have been here,” Dickey said. “

Edited by MeanGreen61