Hurricane puts games in question

Eagle-96

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/12512530.htm

Hurricane puts games in question

By WENDELL BARNHOUSE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Hurricane Katrina's path of destruction apparently won't have a major effect on the opening of the college football season.

Baton Rouge, La., and Hattiesburg, Miss., two cities in the storm's swath as it came ashore Monday morning, are scheduled to host games this weekend. Both games are still on.

North Texas plays at LSU on Saturday, and Tulane plays at Southern Mississippi in a Conference USA game Sunday.

LSU's campus was closed Monday, and coach Les Miles cancelled practice. Most of Baton Rouge is without power, and any decision about Saturday's game won't be made until later in the week.

"A football game, obviously, takes a big back seat to something like a hurricane," North Texas coach Darrell Dickey said. "We'll deal with it however it unfolds. We'll operate under the assumption the game will be played, but that decision will be made by other people."

Tulane, which is based in New Orleans, evacuated most of its football team to Jackson, Miss., with an 11-hour bus ride Sunday. The team is staying at Jackson State University.

Hattiesburg, home to Southern Miss, is located about 70 miles north of the Gulf Coast.

"We've been in contact with both schools, but it's too early to tell about Sunday's game," C-USA spokesperson Russ Anderson said. "The fact that the game is in Hattiesburg instead of New Orleans, plus the fact that it's on a Sunday, gives us a better chance to get it played."

Tulane, which plays in the Louisiana Superdome, has its first home game scheduled for Sept. 17. The Superdome was a shelter of last resort for many New Orleans citizens and suffered significant damage to its roof from Katrina's winds.

The Sun Belt Conference, which has its headquarters in New Orleans, evacuated its offices to Jackson, Miss. Sun Belt member Louisiana-Monroe opens its season with a home game Thursday against Northwestern State.

The Arizona Republic reported that Arizona State officials were discussing contingency plays for the Sun Devils' Sept. 10 game at LSU. They were considering playing the game in Tempe, Ariz., instead of Baton Rouge.

However, it appears that even if Saturday's North Texas game is postponed, LSU's Tiger Stadium and the city will have recovered enough to play host to the Sun Devils.

Louisiana-Lafayette coach Rickey Bustle, whose team plays at second-ranked Texas on Saturday, said his team practiced Sunday and was scheduled to be off Monday.

"We were fortunate to be on the outer edge of it, and we just got some wind and rain," Bustle said. "We have a large number of players whose families are from the New Orleans area. Some of their families are here in Lafayette, and everyone has been concerned about the hurricane and the damage."

IN THE KNOW

Hurricane watch

The following Division I-A and I-AA games are scheduled this weekend in Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama -- three states hit the hardest by Hurricane Katrina. As of Monday, none of the games had been postponed.

Visiting team Home team Location

North Texas LSU Baton Rouge, La.

South Carolina State Alabama State Montgomery, Ala.

Arkansas-Pine Bluff Mississippi Valley State Itta Bena, Miss.

Cal Poly Troy Troy, Ala.

Grambling State Alcorn State Alcorn, Miss.

Middle Tennessee State Alabama Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Murray State Mississippi State Starkville, Miss.

Tulane Southern Miss Hattiesburg, Miss.

Georgia Tech Auburn Auburn, Ala.

Hampton Jackson State Jackson, Miss

I don't know, but my hunch says this game will not be played this weekend. LSU gets a big draw from NO whose people are now spread all over the surrounding states. Floods, power outages, drinking water problems, health issues and last but most important...good taste.

Is a football game right now the best thing for the state to be thinking about? I know some will say it takes your mind off the problems, but it should be the last thing on the minds of anyone from that area especially now that today is showing the destruction that has been caused.

The only way I could see the game being a good idea is if they did some sort of fund-raiser or aid for the victims in NO, Alabama, and Mississippi. Maybe take a bunch of canned goods donations for the game, or offer cheaper tickets based on the number of items brought. I realize that many people have already purchased tickets, but with the draw from NO not available, I imagine there will be many more empty seats than originally planned for.

The only way I could see the game being a good idea is if they did some sort of fund-raiser or aid for the victims in NO, Alabama, and Mississippi. Maybe take a bunch of canned goods donations for the game, or offer cheaper tickets based on the number of items brought. I realize that many people have already purchased tickets, but with the draw from NO not available, I imagine there will be many more empty seats than originally planned for.

Actually that's a great idea.

I think it should be cancelled now. Even if Baton Rouge damage isnt that bad The logistics of an event with an attendance of 80,000 takes a lot of man-hours. Getting 80K fans in and out of what is a declared disaster area, while about half the population of New Orleans that will be coming back on I-10 to try and get to their homes is going to be a logistical nightmare. Also all the man hours for security, crowd control, emergerncy services that have stand by in case something might happen, .... it's just takes too much effort when ALL efforts should be directed at relief and recovery.

and on the good taste issue,...what about burning the stadium lights and jumbotron for a night game when half the state is without power? Yeah I know, not burning the lights won't get the power on any quicker or do anything I just don't like the message it sends or the image it presents.

And I've always heard the "party" LSU games were for their fans....Is it in good taste to have a party so soon after bodies are floating in the streets of New Orleans?

It's just a football game... there are WAY more important things the people of Louisiana have to deal with.

On MSNBC they reported that FEMA and the Red Cross announced last night that if you want to help. DO NOT donate can goods, or any other products. They dont have the ability to collect, store and distribute it.

If you want to help they would rather you write a check

I think it should be cancelled now.   Even if Baton Rouge damage isnt that bad  The logistics of an event with an attendance of 80,000 takes a lot of man-hours.   Getting 80K fans in and out of what is a declared disaster area,  while about half the population of New Orleans that will be coming back on I-10 to try and get to their homes is going to be a logistical nightmare.   Also all the man hours for security, crowd control, emergerncy services that have stand by in case something might happen, ....  it's just takes too much effort when ALL efforts should be directed at relief and recovery.

and on the good taste issue,...what about burning the stadium lights and jumbotron for a night game when half the state is without power?   Yeah I know, not burning the lights won't get the power on any quicker or do anything I just don't like the message it sends or the image it presents. 

And I've always heard the "party" LSU games were for their fans....Is it in good taste to have a party so soon after bodies are floating in the streets of New Orleans? 

It's just a football game... there are WAY more important things the people of Louisiana have to deal with.

It will be a tough decision on whether to play the game or not after all that has happened. I personally don't think they should play but I think the game could be theraputic for the people of Louisiana. It could bring a sense of normalcy back in the shadow of the devastation. People want a distraction from the pain and sadness. They want to forget about their troubles even if for only 3 hours.

Edited by Eagle-96

Guest UNTMike81*

Have to disagree with Baby Amy on one point about not playing game in BR. If the lights work then I'm not concerned about what "image is sent". Don't need to be that PC about it. However, I do agree that if police and other resources that could be used by FEMA or other recovery agences are needed to support game then cancel the game.

GO Mean Green!!

I can give you guys an example of a similar situation....

You all remember Ivan last year....well, it brought tremendous destruction to this area (south AL), and people were without power for weeks. Auburn University went ahead and played its scheduled game that following Saturday (Ivan was a Thurs. landfall). I can tell you that the perception of Auburn was not all that good after that. Most people felt that the security personnel (State Troopers) that were needed for the game would be better off helping cleanup situations around the state.

The city of Auburn suffered little to no damage from Ivan but areas near there were hit really hard. The game went on, and the rest of the state went about their business cleaning up.

To play the game or not is a tough call, and I am glad that I am not the one having to make it! biggrin.gif

Edited by tsufan

"We wouldn't think we'd have to postpone the game," LSU assistant athletics director Herb Vincent said. "But there are a lot more factors to consider than just the condition of the stadium. For example, police and firemen and emergency personnel have a lot more to do now than to work a football game. We want to be sensitive to our fans in New Orleans and the conditions of roads and their safety."