Who's high school team won last night?

stebo

It has been a long time since I could proclaim that my high school won their opening game but the Northwest Texans defeated Granbury 48-21 last night! I was shocked - and called an old budy of mine that follows our high school alma mater pretty closely.. he says that there are several Div IA prospects on the team and that I should watch them closely this year as it could be a breakout year for the Texans. There is a kid on the team (I think his name is Claymont) that is really slinging the ball around quite a bit but Northwest runs a "run first" type of offense. I started to think about how cool it would be to have a kid from my old high school playing on the Mean Green.

So my question is - do any of your old high schools have players that are currently on the Mean Green roster - and do you guys know of any good prospects from your old high school that might get a look by the Mean Green for a scholarship? I think that FFRick went to Burleson and Steve Warren is a Burleson product. Any more of you have a player like that in which you have a dual interest? Potential recruits?

Congrats on the Texans big W this week, but I don't know if the QB is a prospect or not.

Here is the DMN preview when they were ranked in the preseason poll.

Justin Northwest Texans

The linebacker is a STUD, but he's dumb, going to Tech.

It has been a long time since I could proclaim that my high school won their opening game but the Northwest Texans defeated Granbury 48-21 last night! 

Damn. Well, that means my team didn't win. wink.gif Oh well, Granbury isn't know for our football prowess. We do, however, have a great ladies basketball team. As a matter of fact, Granbury was the home of former North Texas great Emily Britt.

RB Drew Ashley  5-10, 180, So.  If he can be effective, should take pressure off Collier 

This kid from Northwest is the real deal.

The QB I coached when he was in middle school. He has some tools. Wouldn't say he is a college QB yet. Will have to prove durability, and prove himself at the varsity level. So far, he has been injured a couple of times, last time being in spring ball. Sound familiar?

I am very proud of my nephew, Cameron Vester at Northwest, he's been a big reason they've been as successful with the running game as they have.

Per the DMNs' write up of the difference makers he's "Relentless on offense and defense "

It's been fun watching the whole recruiting thing from a close up. He went to football camps at K State, Baylor, TCU and our very own camp at UNT this summer, and has stuff coming in from across the country.

My old high school, Pampa HS, beat Perryton 28-19. Best part is that my nephew, Taylor Fatheree, had a great night, including one interception.

I keep trying to get him to look at North Texas, but so far he's said that "North Texas is too good" and doesn't think he'd have a chance.

My old high school, Pampa HS, beat Perryton 28-19.  Best part is that my nephew, Taylor Fatheree, had a great night, including one interception.

I keep trying to get him to look at North Texas, but so far he's said that "North Texas is too good" and doesn't think he'd have a chance.

Does he want to go to school on a scholarship? NT has one of the best walk-on programs in the country (a lot of the bigger schools have given away all of their scholarships to kids before they even start their SR year these days)... and Dickey "one-ups" the opportunity by annually awarding a scholarship to a walk-on player that busts his butt for him in practices.

Also, it is good to hear that a high school kid might think that North Texas is "too good" for him to get on to. It used to be the opposite; where kids would think that they were too good for us, not vice versa, lol.

Edited by stebo

My high school, Denton Ryan, got their tails handed to them by Highland Park (and that was without HP Quarterback Matthew Stafford playing). Ryan has a good team but they pretty much ran the "throw the ball to Justin Fenty deep" offense and HP simply double teamed him and came away with what seemed like 20 picks. I watched until 8:00 to go in the fourth when it was 40-14.

This could really be a rebuilding year for Ryan if they don't find more than one weapon. If Fenty gives us a look I'd be surprised because I don't think Denton kids want to stay home and I don't think DD gives them the attention he could.

My high school, Denton Ryan, got their tails handed to them by Highland Park (and that was without HP Quarterback Matthew Stafford playing).  Ryan has a good team but they pretty much ran the "throw the ball to Justin Fenty deep" offense and HP simply double teamed him and came away with what seemed like 20 picks.  I watched until 8:00 to go in the fourth when it was 40-14. 

This could really be a rebuilding year for Ryan if they don't find more than one weapon.  If Fenty gives us a look I'd be surprised because I don't think Denton kids want to stay home and I don't think DD gives them the attention he could.

Hey Emmitt i saw you tonight at the game, was behind you while we both were leaving but couldnt catch up to you to say hi, that was a good game for the first half but it seemed to me that Ryan's offense was just to one dimensional (throwing long).

As far as my almamater goes Gainesville beat Scott's Valley Ca last night 33-0. I know for sure NT is looking at our starting DT Clint Stoffles. In the first half last night he had 9 tackles and 5 were for losses, he missed most the second half with a rolled ankle but nothing serious.

Ugh I'm jelous now. The high schools here in nebr don't begin their season til next week unless you were one of those lucky teams have a preseason game that still counts as a regular season game due to not being able to complete a complete 8 game schedule. All I have is highlights of the Red/Gold Game for the Warriors. http://www.esu9.org/~jheldt/FBhome.htm The first video in the video section is from last year but the other two are from the red/gold Game.

P.S. Yes, it's an 80 yard field. 8 man football at it's um no comment. hopefully the 8 game losing streak ends next week and we beat our win total for the last 3 years (1-7, 1-7, 0-8)

Edited by NT_Mean_Green_Fan

My high school, Denton Ryan, got their tails handed to them by Highland Park (and that was without HP Quarterback Matthew Stafford playing).  Ryan has a good team but they pretty much ran the "throw the ball to Justin Fenty deep" offense and HP simply double teamed him and came away with what seemed like 20 picks.  I watched until 8:00 to go in the fourth when it was 40-14. 

This could really be a rebuilding year for Ryan if they don't find more than one weapon.  If Fenty gives us a look I'd be surprised because I don't think Denton kids want to stay home and I don't think DD gives them the attention he could.

First of all, dear ol' HS alma mater, ie, the 2A Danbury Panthers came from behind in the last minutes of the 4'th quarter to beat the Louise Hornets, 13-12 at Humber Field. Next week for the Panthers: Houston Christian HS

My HS football stadium was named in honor of Coach Harold Humber who was my football coach the 4 years I played for the Panthers. In the Spring of my senior year, Coach Humber, his wife and daughter had been visiting a coaching collegue over at Houston Alief and returning home to Danbury all 3 were tragically killed in a head-on car accident just outside Stafford, Texas. When we of the Mean Green Nation lost the great Andrew Smith, it took me back to that Sunday evening our community, our church, our HS and the Panther football team lost our football coach and his family.

.................................................................................................

Emmitt, I know you (wisely) smile.gif stayed home to go to college when you could have gone to some other fine colleges, but it seems to me that many HS football stars (not all) would want to do like many of us general students did and that is to "go away to college."

I would think NT's recruiting coordinator sends out "initial interest" letters very early on in the process to many of Denton's HS football stars and if they are not responding to those, I would think Coach Dickey and stafff would probably wish them well with whatever school they choose. Of course, we can only hope there are some more Phillip Armour's out there in the Denton ISD who will choose NT and come over to help our football program continue in our era of exciting growth and expansion. Of course, we are all pulling for those who played their HS football in the Denton ISD who did receive a 'ship from NT or are in the Mean Green Fall camp now as walk-ons.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The Whitewright Tigers won 33-27 over Farmersville. I don't know what kind of possibilities RB Karrington Bush has to play in college, but he is a hell of a running back in 2A Whitewright. He carried the ball 22 times for 277 yards and two touchdowns Friday.

Probably not a future Mean Green prospect, but fun to watch in small school football!!

Pflougerville High defeated Kerrville 21 - 7. Had 3 touchdowns called back ( 136 yds. in penalties). Antwan Cobb had 130 yards rushing, also a 64 yd. and a 44 yd. TD called back. Cobb is 6'1" 210 lbs. his twin brother is a lineman 6' 2" 275 lbs. Their qb has committed to Baylor and one of their lber's to Tech.

Decatur opened their season with a 31-21 win over Burkburnett, at Burkburnett.

Naturally, the Star-Telegram made no mention of the game, because until last season (they couldn't ignore a recording-setting QB), the Star-Telegram pretended that Decatur never exsisted.

This has been going on since I was in HS, so when the ST pretends that North Texas doesn't exsist.....I'm pretty much used to it. For anyone interested, here is the write-up in the Wise county paper.

http://www.wcmessenger.com/newsbindata/fba...utonBurkb.shtml

Gainesville beat Scott's Valley Ca last night 33-0. I know for sure NT is looking at our starting DT Clint Stoffles. In the first half last night he had 9 tackles and 5 were for losses, he missed most the second half with a rolled ankle but nothing serious.

The chaparrals dismantled Chico 54-12

Most exciting play was trint johnson's 103 yard interception return as the clock went out to end the half, reminded me of TJ Covington's fumble return @ Utah State.

Exciting game.

Colt Davis 15-165 Austin Griffin 12-104

Both backs were state champs in the mile relay for 2A last season. We're probably one of the very few teams in 2A to have TWO backs run legit 4.4 40's.

Every team in 13-2A won last night.(yes even Sadler S&S Consolidated) LOL