Jamario & DeMario's Successor

fatcat255

Spring Hill Junior RB, DeMikel Shankle opened the 2005 season with 391 yards of total offense in the Panthers 41-36 victory over the Lindale Eagles.

Shankle carried 16 times for 250 yards & 1 TD rushing while catching 2 passes for 141 yards and 1 TD receiving.

Sophomore Cody Hendricks added 7 carries for 93 yards and 2 TD's.

user posted image

(article is from this past spring)

Student Focus - by Ashley Herrin of The Panther's Paw

Sibling rivalry takes on a whole new meaning with sophomore DeMikel Shankle and his sister freshman Ashley Harris. The two have grown up together, shared many of the same friends, and have had their fights and arguments like most siblings. But if one of them is in trouble, the other is always there to help. They also share the same athletic talents. While Ashley is on the basketball team and DeMikel plays football and powerlifts, they share a common interest in track. Besides competing in the same events, they also have the same goal in mind while racing past their opponents.

"I plan on making it to regionals and placing in the top two so I can go to state," Ashley said. "It would be awesome if I could make it to state as a freshman."

Ashley and DeMikel both run the 100-meter dash, the 200-meter dash and the 400-meter relay, as well as competing in long jump.

"DeMikel and Ashley fight and act like typical brothers and sisters," Coach Tammy Bailey said. "But when they are competing they are each other's biggest fans."

Although they do not compete against one another at meets, there is always a feeling of rivalry between the two. Each one feels that they should do as well or better than the other does.

"There is a lot of competition between me and DeMikel," Ashley said. "If he gets first place in a race, I feel like I should too."

The two are off to a great start this season and have already competed in six meets. At the last meet DeMikel placed second in the 100-meter dash and long jump and first in the 200-meter dash. Ashley placed first in the 100-meter dash, fifth in the 200-meter dash and her team earned third place in the 400-meter relay. Their latest competition was district, April 13-14.

"I am doing pretty good so far," DeMikel said. "I am going to regionals in the long jump and will know about running finals tonight."

DeMikel and Ashley both started running track when they were in seventh grade and have continued throughout junior high and into high school. They plan on competing in the sport in college as well.

"I want to get a track scholarship but I'm not sure to where yet," DeMikel said. "I want to go to a school where I can get a lot of playing time in football too."

Both he and his sister love the feeling that comes from winning a race and know the benefits from track are worth the effort.

"I love the feeling of beating my opponents," Ashley said. "But most of the time I am just trying to reach the finish line as fast as I can so I can breathe again."