2005-2006 Men's B-Ball schedule released

SUMG

SUMG...

I wasnt trying to single you out when i wrote that i hadn't even switched to page two fo the thread....I KNOW you are a huge supporter of this program based solely on the encouragement and other thigns you gave me and the guys who started up pit crew last year...I was in no way trying to bash you at all! As far as me having season tickets....I need tuition money first...but i will ahve them once i get outta school and start actually making real money and not just enough to pay the bills! Am I excited about this schedule we have? Not really but Basketball has pretty much been my favorite sport since i can remember....and just the oppurtunity to watch some guys not playing for endorsements and stuff will bring me out.... Again....SUMG i wasn't trying or meaning AT all to call you out or bash you....

my apologies

geez....the address did not come out.

TCU played in 2000-2001

Sports Tours  ..........  win

Atheletes in Action.......win

N.W. La......................win

Alabama State............win

Siena.........................win

Hawaii Pacific..............loss

College of Charleston..loss

Tx-San Antonio...........win

Virginia Commonwealth...win

Central OK.................win

Princeton....................win

Tx-Arlington................win

Butler.........................loss

TCU always has about 3x more in attendance than what we have.

This is just one example.

Although I don't agree that TCUs basketball attendance is really that much larger than ours (in actual BIS), they do have the advantage of a better schedule. In the 2001 season listed above, what was their conference slate? If it was loaded with Memphis, Louisville, Cincinnati, Houston, DePaul, Marquette and SMU, then I think they have a pretty reasonable chance to sell quite a few season tickets. Any one of those would have been a "marquee" home game for North Texas.

My point is that major college programs put in easy opponents in the OOC games to increase wins.

Look what Texas A&M did last year:

http://aggieathletics.com/teamstats.php?SID=MBB&YOS=2005

Schreiner, U of Ottawa, N.C. A&T, Trinity, UT-PB, Oakland, Prairie View, Alabama A&M, La-Monroe, Chicago State and Grambling.......this was the Aggies 2004-05 OOC......I am sure they filled the basketball arena with these schools.

Major colleges use known lesser competition to increase wins......more wins.....better players......better players......well you know the rest.

For some student who is 17, 18, 19 year old,who is first going to college, NC A&T might be a pretty exciting game. I was the same way when I first went to North Texas in 1966.

Also, I have followed us since 1975....we've never been in the top 20 in basketball.

From the 2002-2003 Basketball Media Guide story about Bill Blakeley.

"Despite the three 20-win seasons and a careet that included victories over Arizona State, Kansas State, TCU, Baylor, SMU and Texas, Blakeley coached during one of the programs most successful yet frustrating periods. At one point he was able to briefly guide the Mean Green into the nation's Top 20 rankings".

Every school needs "cupcakes" on the schedule!!

UNT was a "cupcake" school for many teams during the Coach Trilli era.  You have to respect Coach Trilli getting us those games but look at the cost.

1.  He fired just about all the players

2.  Brought in predominately freshmen

3.  Threw the freshmen to the top 25 teams in the nation

4.  Player's quit the team

5.  Loosing records

6.  Team dissention

7.  We did have a few more folks in the stands

Look what Coach Jones has done:

1.  In the process of rebuilding UNT BB

2.  Takes time to rebuild when there is really no "steady" winning tradition

3.  Rebuilding this year with some easy teams, some toss ups and some pretty touch opposition.

Coach Tubbs, when he was at OU and TCU, scheduled "cupcakes" to get the winning records.  Attendance figures seemed always high at those two schools. 

Continous Winning Records is the key.  Coach Tubbs got his teams into the NCAA and NIT.  Did everybody in the country know that Tubbs and other college coaches do the same thing???  If your answer is NO then you live under a rock.

NTSU Coach Blakely (sp) did the same thing and he always had a full house to play in front of.

Be optimistic on what Coach Jones is doing.  That is why they call him Head Coach.

Don't totally disagree with your view, but this is not the first time I've seen someone refer to the big crowds during the Blakeley years. Blakeley teams had one sell out home game, and a couple of other good crowds. But I doubt that Blakeley's teams averaged 3,500 at home. Not quite a full house. I don't think that NT averaged 4,000 during Blakeley first three years which were the years the team won 20 plus games.

To add my two cents, this years NT home schedule is as poor as I've ever seen. There is no justification for this kind of schedule for any school that takes basketball seriously. It almost seems that the NT athletic administration has given up on being able to improve attendence and has decided why bother scheduling any attractive teams because no one is going to show up anyway.

Edited by GrandGreen

I agree that the schedule is not that exciting, but so long as the team does well against the teams they should and makes it interesting against our conference mates, I'll be there no matter what. I'd like to see us play with some real energy, as this helps excite the crowd, and increase entertainment value.

Playing cupcakes isnt that big of a deal. Anyone see what A&M did last year? they won a ton of games before conference play beating patsies at home (Univ of Ottowa, NC A&T, Trinity, UT-PB, Chicago St, etc) and it built up alot of momentum going into Big 12 play. the players (and fans) felt like they could win, and it translated into a pretty impressive Big 12 run (especially given their record the year before(2003-04), which boasted an impressive 0-16 run in conference play)

I'm excited to see Houston and A&M on the schedule, might have to go check out the Houston one for sure, dont know about going to Collie Station though...

*sorry, posted this without reading all the posts and someone already posted something similar... either way, the logic stands

Edited by Eagle1855