AWASOM A GIANT?!

tonyhuntoon

Here's the skinny on Adrian from a Giants board.

Adrian Awasom was a three-year starter at North Texas. Very productive. Accrued 41 tackles, 8 tackles for a loss, and 8 sacks in 2002; 44 tackles, 7 tackles for a loss, and 4 sacks in 2003; and 52 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss and 6 sacks in 2004. Also finished with 5 pass breakups, 3 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries in 2004. Two-time All-Sun Belt selection. Has nice combination of size and athleticism. Has long arms and is quick and agile. Can be stout at the point of attack when he uses proper technique. Can play with leverage but tends to play too high. Awasom sheds well but needs to do so more consistently amd use his hands better. Works hard to push the pocket and get to the quarterback. Tips a lot of passes at the line of scrimmage. Not an explosive rusher - lacks first-step quickness - but he closes quickly. Still learning the game. Needs to become a more dedicated worker.

Here's the skinny on Adrian from a Giants board.

Adrian Awasom was a three-year starter at North Texas. Very productive. Accrued 41 tackles, 8 tackles for a loss, and 8 sacks in 2002; 44 tackles, 7 tackles for a loss, and 4 sacks in 2003; and 52 tackles, 13 tackles for a loss and 6 sacks in 2004. Also finished with 5 pass breakups, 3 forced fumbles, and 2 fumble recoveries in 2004. Two-time All-Sun Belt selection. Has nice combination of size and athleticism. Has long arms and is quick and agile. Can be stout at the point of attack when he uses proper technique. Can play with leverage but tends to play too high. Awasom sheds well but needs to do so more consistently amd use his hands better. Works hard to push the pocket and get to the quarterback. Tips a lot of passes at the line of scrimmage. Not an explosive rusher - lacks first-step quickness - but he closes quickly. Still learning the game. Needs to become a more dedicated worker.

Sort of sounds like his work ethic when he was at UNT. I seemed like a pretty lazy player to me, and I was actually surpirsed he was drafted. I am excited about that...just surprised...

Sort of sounds like his work ethic when he was at UNT.  I seemed like a pretty lazy player to me, and I was actually surpirsed he was drafted.  I am excited about that...just surprised...

He wasn't drafted he was signed as a free agent to my knowledge... and how did he seem lazy when he was a team captain? Just curious.

Since the earlier posts on Awasome right after the Giants 2nd preseason game seemed to have missed by some (check back a few pages on the board, to 3 messages labeled "Awasome"), I'll repeat the summary from myself (which was added to realistically and candidly by 125th Street Gang):

Awasome has not yet been waived, but if he lasts through the week and in the next game (Friday night against Jets) doesn't show dramatic improvement, I can't see him staying on. He's been given a good amount of field time in the first 2 games, but as far as I can tell he's never been in on any tackle, sack, chase down, etc. It appears easy to block him. He never seems to be able to shed the single blocker on him -- any opposing OL can stay right with him for several seconds (is this a matter of strength? technique?). True, it seems that sometimes he's been in a stunt going the wrong direction from the play, but more often than not he's not been a factor. If he still can't shake any OL assigned to him, and if he can't make any attention-getting plays in this next game, I think it's special teams work at best, maybe taxi squad, but quite likely, an outright release.

I've watched several practices (at Univ. Albany) and he looks decent there, but really, what can you tell from practices about who should stay and who shouldn't?

But let's hope he turns it around . . .