Saturday's Scrimage...

Nt4Life!

I went to see two things...J-Mo & Cobbs on the same field, and the QB's.

Meager looked great! He is the real deal if he can stay healthy. He doesn't have the arm of Phillips to go down the field, but he has great zip on all the other throws, and is extremely accurate.

Phillips looked good as well. If Meager does miss an extended period of time for any reason somewhere during the season, Phillips is capable of manning the ship.

If Meager stays healthy, I don't see Phillips beating out Meager for the starting job. I don't think there is any competition for the #1 QB spot, it is Meager's to lose. That being said, the only way for him to lose it would be too many injuries keeping him out of the line-up/practice.

J-mo & Cobbs on the same field was great to see, but niether played a ton of reps, as expected.

PLayers that were injured that I wanted to see in action:

Monroe, Chapman, Higgs

Players that I wanted to see, but couldn't find:

Washington

Was surprised by:

Nwigwe's brother at LBer. This kid is awesome! He is fast, fast, fast, and can lay the wood. Fights off blocks well and gets to the ball carrier. Will probably RS

Charlie Brown looked very good out there. Big, and caught the ball well. Should RS

WR's dropped several passes early, came on late though sad.gifbiggrin.gif

Another thing that I didn't mention, and I don't want this statement to weigh too much on anyone because it was JUST A SCRIMMAGE, but I went into this scrimmage more than a little worried about our chances at "the drive for five," but left the scrimmage not that worried anymore.

Granted it will be difficult, not a cakewalk by any means, but I definately feel we can do it if we stay healthy and up to our capability. We looked real good out there for a scrimmage.

There were several people out there today that agreed with me when I said that we may lack experience at several positions, but the athleticism of this group is far better than we have had in along time.

MedPiliot said it best out there today when he said that last year no one could catch J-Mo, but now we have some people who can get close.

Also, J-Mo and Cobbs look to have legs the size of a man's 34 waist! biggrin.gif

And to answer your questions about J-Mo putting on some weight, NO HE HAS NOT LOST A STEP! Someone at the scrimmage asked that questions right before he broke one for about 30.

He also on one play carried 3 tacklers on his back! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hey Harry

Let put BiG DAWN on payroll.Bquote=BIG DAWG,Aug 20 2005, 01:25 PM]

Another thing that I didn't mention, and I don't want this statement to weigh too much on anyone because it was JUST A SCRIMMAGE, but I went into this scrimmage more than a little worried about our chances at "the drive for five," but left the scrimmage not that worried anymore.

Granted it will be difficult, not a cakewalk by any means, but I definately feel we can do it if we stay healthy and up to our capability. We looked real good out there for a scrimmage.

There were several people out there today that agreed with me when I said that we may lack experience at several positions, but the athleticism of this group is far better than we have had in along time.

MedPiliot said it best out there today when he said that last year no one could catch J-Mo, but now we have some people who can get close.

Also, J-Mo and Cobbs look to have legs the size of a man's 34 waist! biggrin.gif

And to answer your questions about J-Mo putting on some weight, NO HE HAS NOT LOST A STEP! Someone at the scrimmage asked that questions right before he broke one for about 30.

He also on one play carried 3 tacklers on his back! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I know I am probably arse whipping people out there with all of this scrimmage talk, but as I think of more things I have to talk about them to someone, and my wife is not that big of a fan, she only likes the games, not necessarily the talk.

Another thing that I loved seeing in the scrimmage was two plays that were called that I haven't seen much of the last several years, that I have been dying to see called.

The slant, and the screen.

Both looked awesome. The slant was run over and over.

There was also a little flat pass that was run out of the gun with J-mo on the right, and Patrick on the left. Meager (maybe Phillips) faked the underneath handoff to J-Mo, and hit Cobbs in the left flat. IT LOOKED AWESOME biggrin.gif

You could just imagine how well little wrinkles like that are going to work against other teams. Especially on third and long plays.

LIFE IS GOOD WITH OPTIONS!

it is always hard for me to see if the offense did do something right or the defense excell, but watching today, the D looked pretty good. my two worries were QB and D and both, today, looked good.

i, personally, feel somehow more comfortable with Phillips holding the ball, he made some really good decisions.

and the defense looked altogether solid, there was some plays where the d-backs got lazy on some lofted passes that could have been picks.

one of the more exciting plays was jamario with 3 guys on his back running another 5 yds and Ieans had a great scrambled and launched himself and flipped over the back of a linebacker for extra yards.

overall, good looking team. dickey didn't have much patience with mistakes, but most of the mistakes were small ones.

ps TEs didn't look that great

my thoughts...

Our O-line is bad, but big. Maybe they will hopefully gel soon, but our RBs make up for them getting blown 3 yards off the line every play...

Our DLine is okay compared to years past. TJ Raymond is huge and clogs the middle, Eli Hutchinson had some good pressure.

LBs looked good, Phillip Graves made some good plays.

Our QBs are all inconsistent and noone stood out way more than others...having the defense in your face every play did not help either.

Our DBs looked pretty good. Branch had 3- 4 interceptions and had a good catch on offense...Covington had several good pass deflections.

Cobbs and Jamario played sparingly at the beginning and looked good. James Mitchell looked good and freshman #22 (Evan Robertson?) looked awesome and is one to watch...

Out TE#99 (Charles Brown?) had an easy drop, a fumble, and a TD, but has huge size.

The thing I am most excited about is our two fullbacks, they were big and had good size and I think one of them scored on goalline. They blocked well and laid some good hits.

WRs were okay, but Quinn is awesome and played quite a bit. I also thought Brock Stickler looked good as a #2

The fullback was Kerona Henderson, and he was VERY good. I am very excited about him.

#99 was not Charlie Brown(#84?), but Robert Harmon I believe. Yes, he did have some very big drops on easy catches.

I find it hard to believe you left unimpressed with Meager and Phillips. You are a tough critic

The fullback was Kerona Henderson, and he was VERY good.  I am very excited about him.

#99 was not Charlie Brown(#84?), but Robert Harmon I believe.  Yes, he did have some very big drops on easy catches.

I find it hard to believe you left unimpressed with Meager and Phillips.  You are a tough critic

Glad to hear QB's Meager and Phillips had some good moments today. If they are #1 and #2, I wonder who would be shaping up as #3 ?

The fullback was Kerona Henderson, and he was VERY good.  I am very excited about him.

#99 was not Charlie Brown(#84?), but Robert Harmon I believe.  Yes, he did have some very big drops on easy catches.

I find it hard to believe you left unimpressed with Meager and Phillips.  You are a tough critic

I feel better about Meager and Phillips after the scrimmage. Both threw some nice balls that we simply dropped or the timing was off. They were under a lot of pressure early and worked through it. I think they will be the 1 and 2 QB's. I bet Phillips get plenty of playing time this year.

If he does, that means that Meager got hurt, so lets not think about that.

I don't think it will be an alternation thing this year.  I think from what I have seen and heard, that if Meager stays healthy he will be the guy. 

I am not a fan of alternating QB's

I am not a fan of alternating QB's either. I'm just going off of how many snaps they both seem to get today. Phillips is a lot thicker than Meager. I hope that translates into durability. Could be wishful thinking. Meager would be the prefered choice because he is more mature than Phillips.

Whatever it takes to win...I think that's the way to go.

Maybe Ieans is shaping up for the 3 spot...when he was in he was looking run first then pass. Meager and Phillips looked pass first run second, that what we need since ever team will be stacking us 8 in the box.

As for practice...I agee with Dawg, grading the 2 QB's anything less than a B is a tough score...they wern't great but they weren't horrible either. Noticed that the OL wore down...Lineberry went out, the center was getting beat alot. I liked the play of our DT...Raymond and Pistole played well...Ransom was a dissappointment I watch him on several plays and he took the majority of them off...maybe an injury-noticed him limping last week.

Like the LB...Again I agree with Dawg, Nwigwe played well, I liked the fact he mixed it up. Interesting to see Graves in there...I know Monroe is hurt, but he played well, he's a little (Alot) undersized for that position, but he has a nose for the ball. Liked the change of pace Robertson gives us at RB, not sure if will wever play...personally I would redshirt him, we will be a nice compliment for JMO next year. BTW, i would redshirt Nwigwe too.

We are so frickin deap at TE...not sure what the plan is...I noticed Eddrick playing DE, not sure how that will work out. I would imagine that if he wants to play TE they will redshirt him, if he wants to play this year he would need to play DE...knocked down a ball or 2 today, does not look comfortable in that position though.

Overall, good practice/scrimmage. Several highlights of the day--PD/JMO runs...but I think it was DD words of encouragement when the Offense was down on the Goal line trying to go into the endzone...for those of you who were there you are laughing for those of you who weren't it was an impressive display of words and how to make a point!!!

They were okay and if they had better protection they probably would have been better. I just know that LSU will have 8 in the box and if we can't block our own defense I don't know how we will be able to stop LSU from coming. Hopefully DD will actually throw the ball when they stack the box, but c'mon this is DD we are talking about wink.gif