Nickname-gate: Marquette turns down $2 million

NT80

Marquette keeps Golden Eagles nickname

By JOHN HARTZELL, Associated Press Writer

June 29, 2005

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Marquette will keep its Golden Eagles nickname after all.

Following months of controversy, the school said Wednesday that 54 percent of voters picked the Golden Eagles while 46 percent chose the Hilltoppers, the school's old nickname. About 23,000 Marquette students, alumni and staff voted.

``We did give the people a choice. They want tradition,'' said Marquette president, the Rev. Robert A. Wild.

That suits Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, who led Marquette to the 2003 Final Four.

``For me it's always been about Marquette, but I'm glad people recognized and voted for the Golden Eagle tradition,'' Wade said in a statement released by the university.

Last year, two Marquette trustees offered to give the school $1 million each if it returned the nickname to Warriors, which was changed in 1994 because it was insensitive to American Indians.

The school rejected the trustees' offer and this spring announced a switch from Golden Eagles to Gold, which was strongly opposed by students and alumni because they weren't consulted.

The board relented May 11 and opened the issue to a vote, which was held in two phases. The first phase eliminated eight of the 10 options -- Blue and Gold, which was Marquette's first nickname from 1892-1916, Explorers, Golden Avalanche, Golden Knights, Saints, Spirit, Voyagers and Wolves.

Marquette said Wednesday the Golden Eagles name also led the Hilltoppers in the first phase of the voting. Hilltoppers was connected with school athletics from 1917 until it was changed to Warriors in 1954. It was first used because the original Marquette building was built on top of a hill.

People cast nearly 5,600 write-in votes during the first round, including 3,264 for Warriors, even though Marquette officials said they wouldn't consider votes for that nickname valid.

``We know this discussion hasn't been perfect, but with the successful vote behind us, it is our sincere hope that we can now move forward together, especially as we enter the Big East Conference on July 1,'' board chairman John Bergstrom said in a statement.

Student government president Alex Hermanny, a member of the school's nickname advisory committee, said the university hoped to develop a new logo as soon as possible but probably won't decide on a new mascot until after the school year starts this fall.

---I did not realize that had changed it from Warriors.... They had those unusual basketball uniforms when they won the NCAA basketball championship under McGuire.

---Hmmmmm.... so Indians (make than Native Americans) think they are the only Warriors around. I can understand the "Redskin" objection but the rest seem stupid to me. I suppose those of Northern European heritage should object to the Minn. Vikings using those horned hats since they supposedly didn't use them either.

---Sounds if many alums didn't like the change either...two offered a million each to change it back... I wonder it the administration ignored the alums/students when they changed the name in 1994. This is a case of political/social corectness gone TOO far plus ignoring the desires of their students/alum which they represent..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66