Of All Our True Frosh, RS Frosh & Transfers, Who

None of which is confirmed fact yet.

Not a QB controversy thread, fellow alums. rolleyes.gif

I do wonder if we have any true frosh who might get the call if we get short-handed at QB? Seems Scott Hall's first year he was supposed to play defensive back but ended up taking us to our first bowl in eons that same year as----------QB.

I do wonder if we have any true frosh who might get the call if we get short-handed at QB? Seems Scott Hall's first year he was supposed to play defensive back but ended up taking us to our first bowl in eons that same year as----------QB.

Well, we've got Steve Warren with decent size and high school credentials, Korey Washington, who is probably slated to play DB or WR, but who looked like our Kenny Washington (of the Fry era) in the playoffs and may be a sleeper. Plus, the designated walk-on, Matt Phillips, who was 11 of 15 passing in the West Texas all-star game and also rushed for two TD's.

One of these three might provide depth if needed.

Well, we've got Steve Warren with decent size and high school credentials, Korey Washington, who is probably slated to play DB or WR, but who looked like our Kenny Washington (of the Fry era) in the playoffs and may be a sleeper. Plus, the designated walk-on, Matt Phillips, who was 11 of 15 passing in the West Texas all-star game and also rushed for two TD's.

Island Eagle, I thought Korey Washington had had some success in the play-offs.

We have 3 Texas HS football QB's who we signed as athletes/DB's, but I'd bet one of them never sees the defensive backfield while at NORTH TEXAS.

Does Korey Washington have a brother or cousin playing for Cedar Hill this Fall? They have one with the same last name who is being very highly recruited. Old Timer, do you know if they are related? (And why do I insist in calling you Old Fan most of the time!?!?! lol!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

In Scott's first year at UNT, we didn't go to a bowl game. His first year was 2000 and we were 3-8 that year.

That's a 'not exactly', Jim. It's true that other 1-A schools offered Hall as a DB but he turned them down because North Texas offered him a shot at quarterback. Only if he failed at QB wes he to be a defensive back, not the other way around.

But to answer your question...

Transfers - Ransom and Weathers seem to be a lock as starters. Chaney and Pistole should get a decent amount of playing time. We also have to include Travis Thompson in this group since he didn't get to play last year and should compete for a starting job.

Redshirt Frosh - Apparently Chad Rose has won the starting job at center. Micah West may have found a niche on the offensive line. If he makes the committment, you should see a lot of Adam Venegas.I think that Brock Stickler will be a starter before the season is over. Over on the defensive side, Blake Burruss is coming on strong. I haven't seen it yet but I'm hoping that Big Cat Raymond and Isaac Thomas are the real deal. All of the DBs seem improved but I was more impressed with the advancement of our strong safeties, Higgs and Walthall.

True Frosh - It wouldn't surprise me to see the outstanding athletes/quarterbacks Korey Washington, Antoine Bush and Arthur Stubblefield getting playing time at defensive backs this coming year. The slowest of that trio may be sub-4.50. Lastly, maybe Matt Phillips plays faster than his 4.9 50 speed and will get a shot at quarterback should we lose Byerly or Meager.

Matt Phillips is not a walk on, he is a late scholarship signee. The other kid is the walkon

true freshmen:

ATH Desmon Chatman - not sure where he'll end up but he's 6-2 and can really run. Supposedly an amazing athlete.

QB/DB/ATH Korey Washington - Korey is just too talented not to help somewhere. He dominated 5A ball.

C/DT Bryan Glass - a short but strong 4-year starter for Paris that will battle for a spot. He's a winner. He also has a Oline depth situation that helps him to break into the OLine early.

WR/DB/ATH Dominique Green - probably the highest rated player UNT signed. Explosive athlete that could play defensive back, wr and help on special teams.

OT - Ajani Banks - He's 6-3, 320, need I say more? OLine Depth will help him.

TE Eddrick Gilmore - at 6-5, 250 he has the size to help us somewhere. Known as a devestating blocker but would also be a stout defensive end. The fact that Davidson (shoulder surgery) and Chaney (knee surgery) have battled injuries plays in his favor.

TE - Charley Brown - Brown is just a player. The questions are his weight and the level of competition he played against. He could get caught up in a numbers game. I've just heard that this kid is very driven to succeed so it's hard for me to leave him off of the list.

OL - Jack Crumes - OK Crumes could be a longshot to make an impact but the lack of OLine depth helps his chances. The guy has only played football for like two years and he has a huge upside.

redshirt freshman:

OL Micah West - I like this kid. He's a former defensive linemen and has quick feet. He's 6-3, 280 and has the desire. The oline depth could help him make an impact.

QB Danny Meager - regardless of Byerly's status, you have to think that Meager will figure in somehow. His health is the biggest concern. There is no doubt that he has talent.

DT Ike Thomas - Coaches are reserved but he looked big and fast in the Spring.

WR Brock Stickler - Brock is a major talent, with his added size look for him to fill Blount's loss. He could get caught up in a numbers game because the wide receiver position is so deep.

C - Chad Rose - Rose has a strong spring. Good size, smart kid. Big shoes to fill but he's capable.

LB - Colt Mahan - Colt showed some good things in the Spring. He's undersized but working out hard and getting stronger. They need a solid outside linebacker backup and if Shawn Early isn't fully recovered it could open up a window for Colt. Colt's speed is a weapon but he has lots of numbers to overcome at what is now a deep position.

transfers:

LB Travis Thompson - Travis is essentially a transfer since he lost last year due to injury. A bonafide badass that I can't wait to watch.

DE Willie Ransom - Ransom is a wildman and plays with reckless abandon. Should provide an immediate impact.

Safety Aaron Weathers - Weathers is expected to battle for a starting safety spot. Very athletic and a proven commodity at a high level of competition.

DB Gary Oubre - Oubre is small but tough and quick. I expect him to make an impact on special teams and in a backup role in the secondary.

LB Ryan Davenport - Davenport is a transfer as well as a redshirt freshman since he was on the Air Force Prep squad. Very intriguing player that looked good in the spring. May get caught up in numbers at linebacker but could impact on special teams.

Cullen Mills is the QB from Harker Heights that quit the team. My understanding is that he has asked to rejoin and no decision has been made yet. Jon Ieans is a tall sophomore QB/WR from Houston Madison.

One player that never gets mentioned is WR Brandon Jackson from my hometown of Sugar Land. No he is not a fresh. or a red shirt but he got in some good playing time last year as a true fresh at receiver. He was rated one of the top receivers going into his senior season playing in a tough league on a bad team. He has good size and decent speed. I look for more things from him this year.