At This Stage of the Game & All Things Considered

THe only way to get better is to better teams on a more regular basis, even if it means not being the champ. Example last years bowl game, straight out played. I rather lose and play better teams than win against a weaker team. There is always upsets, thats what college ball is all about. Those are the games that people talk for decades. Well back in 1980's we won against.... you know how it goes

Upgrade Upgrade Upgrade...

I'm of the mindset that we want to play in the toughest conference we can get into. If that's the CUSA so be it...but if the MTW comes knocking, you gotta go.

We know we can compete with the likes of Memphis, Tulane, South Florida. I dont think we would win the conference by any means, at least not at this time, but we could compete.

As for the MTW...I think we could compete with UNLV and New Mexico, and we played TCU and Air Force tough the last times we played those teams.

I would like to see the Boards opinion on which confence would NT be the best fit. CUSA or MTW.

My own opinion I would love to go to the MTW, maybe a little more travel, not much though, considering you will have to visit one of the coast atleast once a year. MTW is more respected in College Atheletics. CUSA is a hodgepodge of teams. I like the fact that the MTW is smaller, more competitive, regionalized (somewhat). It would also do my heart good to see us align ourselves in a better conference and leave the ponies hanging out to dry.

Thoughts...

MtWest for it's prestige, but you gotta love CUSA's regional makeup with all those d1 Texas Schools. Our attendance would skyrocket if we played Houston, UTEP, SMU, & Rice every year.

So I wonder why TCU is not so enamored with CUSA's regional makeup, especially its west division?

IMO, only way NT gets into CUSA is if Tulane or Rice gives up football, but still we have another rather BIG (traditional) obstacle to get by to get in. rolleyes.gif

I think MWC is where we point our sails, but we have some venues at Eagle Point Campus that need to be completed before anyone really takes us serious.

I'm wondering what post was PMG's first poll. The over/under is his 12th. I'll take the under.

Also I wonder how many of Plumm's more than 6,400 posts are polls. The over/under is 262. I'll take the over.

What do you think?

So I wonder why TCU is not so enamored with CUSA's regional makeup, especially its west division?

IMO, only way NT gets into CUSA is if Tulane or Rice gives up football, but still we have another rather BIG (traditional) obstacle to get by to get in. rolleyes.gif

I think MWC is where we point our sails, but we have some venues at Eagle Point Campus that need to be completed before anyone really takes us serious.

When the subject of UNT comes up on the MWC board there isn't much enthusiasm about us joining. It would be pretty hard for us to beat out Fresno State, Boise State, Hawaii, and Nevada because those schools have a larger fan base, better facilities, and quite frankly more resources and better all-around athletic programs than we do. Also those schools have a history with the MWC schools and we do not plus we're not exactly located in the middle of their footprint. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to join the MWC but realistically I'd say our chances are slim and none. When you count facilities and fan support NMSU has a better chance at the MWC right now than we do and they have NO chance. I'd say our best bet is C-USA because we are a better fit geographically and competitively. Also, the competition we face to join C-USA is not as stiff as what we face if we're trying to join the MWC.

You can only get better by playing good teams on a regular basis. Sure we have a tough out of conference schedule. But then we hit our Sun Belt schedule and we are back to playing "fluff" teams. No offense to our Sun Belt brethern but seeing how so many of the Sun Belt teams are consistenly ranked at the bottom of Div. I-A schools, we can't get better. I am not trying to flame them but they are ranked at (or towards) the bottom for a reason.

So we need to go to C-USA and kinda tank for a few years. But once we can adjust and start recruiting classes as a C-USA school we will start winning and making bowl apperances from C-USA. From there we can get a bump up to the MWC or a BCS conference.

• Upvote 1