On The Newstands NOW! Dave Campbell's

Personally, I boycott the mag each year. (Disclosure: I'm a graduate and fan of SMU.) Campbell doesn't give SMU the coverage it deserves, nor does he give UNT the coverage you deserve. Campbell is the print journalism equivalent of Jerry Springer, Geraldo Rivera or that dork who "investigates" on the TV show "Cheaters." He's not a journalist, and he never was (although he did carry those business cards for a while). DC is a shameless homer for Baylor, and puts his mag together each year with the idea that Baylor belongs in the same breath as UT and OU and A&M (2004 upset notwithstanding). Personally, as much as I'd like to see the cover dedicated to my Mustangs, the team that deserves the cover? Your Mean Green (gawd, I can't believe I just wrote that!) Seriously, after years of mediocrity, the job that Coach Dickey (and the great Ramon Flanigan -- an SMU grad, of course) has done in Denton has been remarkable. I might cut my fingers off for typing this, but you folks deserve more pub than any team in the state.

Campbell's mag is good for one thing: the HS coverage, but even that should be taken with a grain of salt, since all those HS profiles are written based on information sent in by each team's coach. (The 6'6", 320-pound OLs our teams recruit mysteriously will show up in the 6'3"/6'4" range, and their weight inexplicably drops 30 or 40 pounds). Basically, the mag is a directory for HS coaches to tout their players. The college coverage is poor (although they came close to giving UNT its due this year) if you're not a fan of UT or A&M. And the "Baylor is legit" crap just gets older and older every year.

Personally, I boycott the mag each year. (Disclosure: I'm a graduate and fan of SMU.) Campbell doesn't give SMU the coverage it deserves, nor does he give UNT the coverage you deserve. Campbell is the print journalism equivalent of Jerry Springer, Geraldo Rivera or that dork who "investigates" on the TV show "Cheaters." He's not a journalist, and he never was (although he did carry those business cards for a while). DC is a shameless homer for Baylor, and puts his mag together each year with the idea that Baylor belongs in the same breath as UT and OU and A&M (2004 upset notwithstanding). Personally, as much as I'd like to see the cover dedicated to my Mustangs, the team that deserves the cover? Your Mean Green (gawd, I can't believe I just wrote that!) Seriously, after years of mediocrity, the job that Coach Dickey (and the great Ramon Flanigan -- an SMU grad, of course) has done in Denton has been remarkable. I might cut my fingers off for typing this, but you folks deserve more pub than any team in the state.

Campbell's mag is good for one thing: the HS coverage, but even that should be taken with a grain of salt, since all those HS profiles are written based on information sent in by each team's coach. (The 6'6", 320-pound OLs our teams recruit mysteriously will show up in the 6'3"/6'4" range, and their weight inexplicably drops 30 or 40 pounds). Basically, the mag is a directory for HS coaches to tout their players. The college coverage is poor (although they came close to giving UNT its due this year) if you're not a fan of UT or A&M. And the "Baylor is legit" crap just gets older and older every year.

I agree with your post... if they lowered the price I might buy it. I bought it last yr and looked at it 2 or 3 times... not worth the 8 bucks.

I agree with your post... if they lowered the price I might buy it. I bought it last yr and looked at it 2 or 3 times... not worth the 8 bucks.

8 bucks, you $ay?!? How about $9.95 now? blink.gif

I did get a $1 discount on my 2005 DCTF at the Weatherford Wal Mart, though.

I've purchased a DCTF every year its been out since my mother let my buy the first edition at a general store in the small Texas town southwest of Houston I was reared. In fact, it was a collection I was most proud and cannot believe I didn't save all of those magazines. That ranks right up there with the 2 rookie Mickey Mantle baseball cards I had in my cigar box collection of baseball cards that my late, sainted mother threw away after she assumed I had outgrown that part of my life. Heck! I still haven't outgrown that part of my life! LOL!

I believe Street & Smith was the first college football magazine I bought (50 cents?) and if you older nestors would remember, their cover always seemed to have a player on its cover who wore a helmet "without" the face guard and even did that during the era that helmets had faceguards. rolleyes.gif Guess their reasoning behind that is that they thought the purchasors of their magazine wanted to see the face of their cover boy. OK, SUMG, I am not "THAT" freakin' old, either! laugh.gif

Wasn't Dave Campbell the sports editor of the Waco Herald-Tribune for years? I guess he was a Texas good ol' boy who was at the right plact at the right time if that were the case. I've enjoyed his magazine most years, and can remember some of us on this board writing him asking him why NORTH TEXAS always seemed to just get black and white photos in its limited coverage. I cannot remember what year we made it to color photo status, anyone else remember what year all our letters finally paid off? rolleyes.gif