Jankovich...

TUfan

He is apparently on the RUMORED short list for the University of Tulsa job. Does anyone have any thoughts on his time at North Texas? What types of resources were available to him? What type of coach was he? What type of effect did he have on your program?

TU fans everywhere appreciate your input. smile.gif

You can also visit up at our board to give your .02. The Hurricane Alert Basketball

Many would take Jank back as he looks good in comparison to the last two coaches. He was fired and did not handle it very well. He was very young at the time. My biggest complaint about him was that he would recruit large numbers every year and then not renew a lot of the ships. In todays world that would not work with all the emphasis on retaining recruits. My feeling is that he would be much more prepared and a better head coach now than he was when he was at NT.

Jankovich....got the short end of the stick at UNT. We should have kept him.

Heck we should have kept Trilli if someone in the Admin would have told him not to schedule all the top teams in the nation that kept beating the crap out of us and demoralizing the team. I believe that ran off quite a few really good players...one to Texas and one to Ok State.

I was a big fan of Coach Jankovich. Sure we weren't winning 20+ games a year or anything, but we were always competitive. He wasn't around long enough to deserve being canned(especially since we were always around .500 and nearly made the NCAA once or twice).

I think he'll be a very good one somewhere someday.

i am a huge jankovich fan, he nearly took us to the big dance twice, he played some good teams well, and developed great players in the process...

he was well liked all around campus, and he was young and open minded individual.

i would trade trilli and jones to get jankovich back at our school, the basketball program here at north texas as been going downhill since he left. and looks no where what it did when he was here....

jank: 53 wins 57 losses last season overall: 10-16 last season Big West : 5-11

JJ: 49 wins 64 losses last season overall: 14-14 last season Sun Belt: 6-9

Jank had the advantage of spending his first three years in the Southland Conference, which most people will agree is significantly weaker than the Big West or Sun Belt. By my count Jank went 36-26 against Southland competition.

On the other hand, Jank gets credit for going 2-2 against SMU, 1-1 against Baylor, 1-1 against Rice and 1-1 against Texas A&M.

JJ is, I think 1-2 vs Baylor and either 1-2 or 1-3 vs TCU.

Edited by Buford_Julep

Tim Jankovich is a class act that found himself working for a classless athletic administration. His story is sad here at North Texas and I could tell it if I was wishing for somesort of character defamation law suit from some of the administrators from that era. He is very bright and personable...Tulsa should be in great shape with him as head coach. He has deep roots in 'bigtime' coaching circles, which should be good for the Hurricane program. I have always been lead to believe that he was in line to take the coaching job at his alma mater, Kansas State when the position opened.

To: Buford Julip

If I am not mistaken you have a lot of insight to the basketball team by going to the practices and games!!

What is your humble opinion of next year with the recruits coming in and what JJ has for next year?

It appears that you, as a cool, soothing, almost all knowing expert in UNT sports could give us a little professional insight....if you would make a new topic out of this.....appears we have some "hot-heads" that want change now....

thanks Buford Julip

Jankovich....got the short end of the stick at UNT.  We should have kept him.

Heck we should have kept Trilli if someone in the Admin would have told him not to schedule all the top teams in the nation that kept beating the crap out of us and demoralizing the team.  I believe that ran off quite a few really good players...one to Texas and one to Ok State.

You mean like Hardin-Simmons? cool.gif

tim Jankovich was at NT at the wrong time. He was having personal problems which later lead to a

divorce and we had an administration that was not committed to athletics.

Since the time he was here Tim has gotten remarried and is very happy from a personal standpoint.

He has coached at Vanderbilt, Kansas,Colorado,and others. He is a very marketable person and

Tulsa would be lucky to get him. On paper, i still prefer JJ and his staff. Loyalty is more important

to Jones than Tim and we need success and stability.