The Denton Outlaws...Our new

ADLER

Although the team name hasn't been formally announced, information is being leaked from other league sources. Read the notes in the 'Briefly ... ' section.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Marshals ready for Round 2

McKinney eager to go after the championship in TCL's second season

12:46 AM CST on Sunday, January 16, 2005

By LUKE GILLIAM / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

McKINNEY – What a difference a year makes.

McKinney Marshals general manager Shayne Currin talked comfortably from his office at the Ballfields at Craig Ranch last week about the upcoming season. His relaxed demeanor was in sharp contrast to a year ago, when he was scrambling and conducting business from a cellphone as he prepared for the Marshals' inaugural baseball season.

"I'm 90 days ahead of schedule," Currin said. "We learned a lot of lessons on the business front last year."

Currin had his roster completed in October, and he has already lined up housing for players who will come from all over the country to play for the Marshals this summer in the Texas Collegiate League.

Currin spent last week at the National Baseball Coaches Association convention in Nashville, Tenn. He said the league's growing reputation among college coaches has resulted in more talented players coming to the TCL.

"The complexion of the entire league has changed," Currin said.

On the Marshals' roster, 23 of the 27 players are coming from Division I programs. There were 11 non-Division I players a year ago.

McKinney produced the best regular-season record (33-17) and won the Tris Speaker Division – only to be swept out of the first round of the playoffs by eventual champion Coppell.

Winning the league title is the team's only goal this season, Currin said, and the roster was assembled accordingly.

The Marshals return 13 players, the most of any team in the league. Currin credits the laid-back approach of TCL manager of the year Kyle Hope and the generosity of owner David Craig for the holdovers. Craig had division championship rings made for each player.

Among the key returners are outfielders Louie Alamia and Trey Rachal, along with shortstop Jose Salazar. Pitchers Bryce Cox, Josh Geer and Jacob Marceaux are slated to return but could be taken in June's amateur draft, according to Currin.

The Marshals will once again have a local flavor as freshmen Matt Smith and Brandon Glover (McKinney) and Jake Arietta (Plano East) are on the team.

Hope returns with pitching coach Mike Henneman and hitting coach Jack Clark, both former major leaguers.

The Marshals will open the season June 7 at Coppell. McKinney will host the league's All-Star Game on July 11.

Tickets will go on sale in March, and the Marshals have dropped prices to $6.50 for adults and $5.50 for seniors and students. Gabe Nesbitt Field will be all reserved seating this season.

Briefly ...

The league has cut its schedule from 54 games to 48 and reduced the roster limit from 30 to 27. The Granbury Generals franchise folded in the off-season. The Colleyville-Grapevine LoneStars franchise relocated to Euless, and the Denton Outlaws joined the league.

The TCL Futures Game is July 24 at Ameriquest Field in Arlington, and the championship series is slated for Aug. 5-7.

E-mail lgilliam@dallasnews.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Although it's still very early, some of the league teams are already pushing season ticket sales (Highland Park, Coppell, and McKinney) the Coppell franchise started updating their schedule on thier website today.

Coppell Copperheads TCBL Schedule Page

Edited by ADLER

I would love to see baseball in Denton.  I'll be one of the first one's there at the first game played!  tongue.gif

The last official release from the Denton TCBL franchise in October had been that the initial $650,000 for stadium construction had been raised more quickly than anticipated, and that the team was debating raising another $2.2 million to proceed with building Phase 2 into the initial construction. Phase 3 when complete, would have a 7,500 seating capacity.

And then, for months, there wasn't any new information.

Frankly, I'm just happy to see the Copperhead's games that are scheduled at the Denton Outlaws facility. I was starting to get a little concerned when there was no news for so long, and the Outlaws web site hadn't been updated.

• 4 weeks later...

Baseball: New TCL franchise short on funds to complete 8000 seat stadium, may wait one season

08:53 AM CST on Tuesday, February 1, 2005

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

A local group of investors that has founded a Texas Collegiate League baseball team in Denton has raised only half of the money it needs to build a stadium on North Texas property with its construction deadline for the upcoming season rapidly approaching.

Team official John Hampton said designs for a $4 million facility that include 1,000 chair back seats and 8,000 total seats are complete. Team officials are hoping to finish fund-raising for the facility at a series of meetings in the next few days.

"We need to get started on the stadium in the next few weeks," Hampton said. "Right now the decision is whether to build the stadium this year or next year. We don’t want to build something that is not first class."

The team has already secured an alternate site for its first season, that is set to begin June 7, if its new stadium is not finished.

The TCL team and UNT have entered into an agreement to share the facility. The TCL team would use the field during the summer, while UNT’s club team would use the field during the school year.

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said building a stadium would be a key step toward reviving the Mean Green’s baseball program. A UNT varsity squad would share the stadium with the TCL team.

While the Denton TCL franchise is still unsure of its future home, the team has chosen a nickname and has its initial roster in place. Hampton said the team will be known as the Outlaws.

Eight people submitted the name during a contest earlier this fall. Hampton said the first person who submitted the name would be declared the winner at a press conference in mid February and will receive tickets to this fall’s World Series.

The Outlaws’ roster includes several top collegiate players, including Texas catcher Taylor Teagarden and former Ryan pitcher Jackie Smith of New Mexico.

Teagarden was a key cog in Texas team that advanced to the championship round of the College World Series before falling to Cal State Fullerton last season.

Baseball America, the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association and Collegiate Baseball all named Teagarden to their preseason All-America teams. Teagarden hit .273 with 10 home runs in 2004.

Smith pitched 15 2/3 innings in relief for New Mexico last season. He played on two of Ryan’s state championship football teams and intercepted a pass in overtime of a 42-35 win over Smithson Valley in 2001 state title game.

He was also a member of the Raiders 2002 state title team and a standout baseball player for Ryan.

Juston and Jordan Street are also on the Outlaws’ roster. The twins’ father James Street was a standout pitcher for Texas, but is best known as the quarterback who led the Longhorns to the 1969 national title.

Huston Street, the twins’ older brother, was a standout pitcher for Texas who is now playing in the Oakland Athletics organization.

The TCL is a summer baseball league that features college baseball players who have yet to complete their eligibility. The league includes teams based in cities across the Dallas-Fort Worth area, including Highland Park, McKinney and Coppell.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870.

2005 Denton Outlaws

C Brett Lewis UTA

C Taylor Teagarden Texas

1B Steven Clay Ranger JC

2B/OF Blake Womble Baylor

SS Ryan Booher Odessa College

3B/P Kurt Pessa Rice

OF Kern Watts Evansville

OF Blake Mitchell Oklahoma

OF Elvis Herrera Loyola Marymount

UTIL Alexy Hernandez Fla. Southern

UTIL Matt Moake Rice

UTIL Brett Fenner UTA

UTIL Josh Corn Stanford

UTIL Damian Gomez Dallas Baptist

P Kerr Foster Baylor

P Nick Cassavochia Baylor

P Daniel Edwards Kansas State

P Justin Boyette La.-Lafayette

P Brandon LaFollette Purdue

P Eddie Degerman Rice

P Juston Street Texas

P Kyle Hollander Odessa College

P Chase Bayuk Kansas State

P Jackie Smith New Mexico

P Jordan Street Texas

P Blake Kronkonsky Oklahoma State

RV mentioned some of this briefly on the tour. He said the rains have caused some delay with the dirt prep plus the fundraising wasn't finished. He hinted the TCL group might use the Liberty Christian field with raised fences for this coming season. That would allow for the project to not be so rushed and really do it right.

I guess I don't really understand these "silent" fundraising campaigns. I would give a few bucks to help with the stadium if they asked. The Denton TCL group doesn't have a website that I can find nor have they solicited publically for donations that I've heard either. An 8,000 seat baseball facility would be great if it happens. I hope it does.

There is a Denton TCL site, but it hasn't been updated.

Denton Outlaws web site

Additionally, there is the Texas Collegiate League site at:

Texas Collegiate League web site

user posted image

February 01, 2005 - TEXAS COLLEGIATE LEAGUE FEATURES PLAYERS FROM 84 SCHOOLS IN 2005

The nation's top college baseball programs will be well represented in the Texas Collegiate League in 2005. The projected rosters include players from 84 different schools, including 24 who advanced to the 2004 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament.

Denton Outlaws team information

Denton Outlaws 2005 Roster