Howerton update from PP tourney

Marty

Allen JV 59, Howe 43

Howe 8 21 13 9 — 43

Allen JV 21 20 13 5 — 59

Howe – Beaver 1, Mangrum 12, Brooks 10, Stanley 2, Howerton 18.

Allen JV – Eason 2, Brawn 2, Walker 5, Alexander 3, Pickup 3, White 10, Er. Braithwaite 2, Leever 24, Shrum 8.

I really would like the chance to give Howerton the eyeball test. I am not shocked that his team is bad because Howe went winless (or close to it) in football this year (Howerton did not play) and he may just be the lone stud in a bad group talent wise right now at Howe. When I played them in high school, they were pretty good.

I'm sure he is seeing zones packed in tight, centered around denying him the ball, and collapsing if he does get it. Maybe his team is so bad that they can't even bring it up the floor and give him a good entry pass. You can't tell any of this stuff with boxscores, and while a really do appreciate it Marty, keep us updated, they don't tell the whole story. Seeing that he scored almost half his team's points in a loss to a 5A JV (along with their football record) tells me he is surrounded by mediocre to bad talent. I would like to see him play so I could see if this is the case and also to see other things like how he gets down the court, how hard he works for the dirty stuff, blocking out, things like that.

As SUMG said, he reportedly did do very well against the big boys in summer leagues, so I am not worried about this commitment, but I would like to know more.