Next ONE, a big one for soccer!!

ascchamp

So, what do some people think about UNT's chances of beating Denver this friday?? I am not sure what to think! the girls have had a good run so far, but haven't had any problems because the strength of schedule they have.. The Houtson game was a toss up? but other then that, they have beaten every one that they were supposed to. Now, you play a Denver team that is ranked Nationally and on a roll. Granted, both teams played on same day, but UNT gets a longer rest while Denver plays on Wednesday. That might be in favor of the ladies. Here are some interesting things to consider. Both teams beat Arkansas state- and little rock. UNT beat State 2-0 while Denver won 2-1??? Now, Against little-rock Denver only scored 4 goals while UNT scored 6, but UNT allowed 3 and Denver shut them out? they were both play at Little rock so the question of venue isn't an issue?? who knows what will happen?? I think that it might be a close game, depending on the girls attitude. If they aren't prepared mentally and ready to go for the game, it could be lopsided in Denvers favor. If they go in there tough and ready to go, they could blow Denver out! This game won't come down to the coaches and who out coaches who, but who wants it more on the field! This will be a war of atrition. Tell me what you think!

First let me thank you for using capital letters. I know that it's common among college kids to ignore them, but it does make a post much more difficult to read. I enjoy you insights, and your posts, and I find it much easier to read this way.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that we played a large part of the UA-LR with ten men on the field. I didn't see the games, so I don't know if we have ironed out so of our "team play" problems. I know that Hedlund has not been happy with the way several of the players have played, and is working on getting this team to 'click.'

There are only two teams we've played who have winning records at this point of the season Duquesne and U of Houston who has a pretty good record now. SWT is much better than their record of 3-4 and should finish with a good year but most of the rest of the teams aren't doing well. We have beaten them by a wider margin than most of their opponents, but that doesn't mean as much in soccer, I don't think, as it does in other sports.

All of this is to say that if we play at the top of our game I think we can play with anyone. I wish I could say that I thought Denver might not be ready for us, but they will be. We will be playing at their house and that is a bigger advantage in soccer than in most sports.

Koschmann will miss this game due to a red card and that might be a factor, we are still struggling at goalie but that is getting better every game. We miss Pina up front seem to have some depth at forward. We have had several players down with flue but they seem to be getting better. Bottom line... I think we'll do very well to tie. Denver has a great defense and we have a great offense, it should be a great game.

Eyewitness account: Arkansas State just played tough, scrappy defense, I am not surprised that they gave Denver trouble ... UNT had several good opportunities to score but shots went wide or high and their goalie did not have to make a save ...

UALR scored one minute into the game while UNT was still deciding to get it into gear ... Their second goal was on a PK after a silly foul in the box that resulted in the red card (not sure why it was a red card and not yellow - it wasn't flagrant, just dumb) ... The third UALR goal was in garbage time ... UNT played most of the UALR game with 10 players after the red card, and still domiated the second half ... The UALR goalie made saveral really nice saves, otherwise it would have been a blowout ...

Well DennDann, i was't there as you were, but still, Some things should never happen. For example- the womans team at my college had a game against a team that they have not lost to or tied in 7 years. That is over 16 games that they have flat out dominated a team. They were beat in overtime and all one girl could say was-- that sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some! that is true what she said, but also there are times that it should never happen especially against a team that has no business being on the field with! If UNT were to play North Carolina, UNT would have no business on the field with that caliber of a team. Do you think that it would be excuseable for UNT to even score on them?? this is the kind of attitude that great programs in any sport have! It shouldn't happen! Plain and simple! A dumb foul in the box?? Sure it happens from time to time, but it shouldn't not at this level! The play has to be better, especially since these atheletes have been playing for so long! Just cause you are up 4 goals on a team, do you start to become lax and allow them to score? what if they end up tied at end of season and for what ever reason goals allowed is used?? Then a game early in ther season, which you had in hand and shouldn't have allowed an early minute goal, because the team wasn't ready to go at game time and they slacked off at the end of a game, suddenly comes into play and now you end up screwed.

I have been taught by coaches to never leave anything for chance. If you have control of something make sure you do your best to make damn sure that nothing can come up and bite you in your butt later. By not being ready at game time and allowing a goal that had they been ready wouldn't have been scored, isn't taking care of business! it is a sign of weakness. that is something that they need to change but it comes with-in the team not the coaches. the coaches can get on them all they want but still doesn't gaurantee it happening. The girls need to get together and point out individually what they feel someone is doing wrong.. Don't just single people out, but everyone sit down and one at a time speak face to face and tell a person" hey i think you have been playing very lazy and you should be doing better!" it will work if they can keep their calm and without the coaches being there!

that is what pro players do, they bring out the internal problems by talking! Now if someone gets defensive, that is probably why they are acting in the manner that they are! they aren't coachable. No one can say anything to that person and nothing will change!