ATTENDANCE NIGHTMARE

UNT_playmaker

I made a prediction early this week that the ULM game will be the lowest atttended game, and will kill our average attendance for the year, which is now under 15K, ( NCAA violation, oh you betcha). i predicted 14,800 for the game, boy was i wrong. I was watchin the 1st quarter at home, and saw the entire student section empty, except for the band and more ULM fans than our fans. THis is proof postive that we have a MAJOR ASS problem here at UNT and aint our coach, defense, or our cheerleaders, its very embarrassin attendance.

I hope RV, Talons ( which have done a horrible job promotin anythin on campus this year, they also are part of the problem), and NT organizations step things up to help our attendance figures, because if they dont we will SURELY BE MENTIONED ON ESPN SOON

AND IT WONT BE FOR JAMARIO IT WILL BE FOR BEING THE ONLY CONFERENCE CHAMPION HAVIN UNDER 15 K FOR THE SEASON

Conference usa didnt chose us because our attendance sucks for sports, we have everythin else goin for us.

1. We in the dfw metropex, 5 million strong, largest dfw campus

2. 32,000 + students

3. winnin sports teams

4. great educational status

people are sayin that low attendance was all due to the fact that our game was the night before halloween, but if im correct all other Div. 1. games were also, i didnt hear of any of them being canceled or any of them throughout the nation havin attendance problems quite like ours.

Were there? maybe this is just a DENTON PROBLEM

entire student section empty? were you watching the same game?

but yeah, i was pretty shocked about the attendance too. i also heard some other stuff was going saturday, but...i do agree, it's a town problem and it has to be advertised outside of little D as well as to the commuters.

The student section was very weak.

I really feel sorry for Dickey, it is a good coach to even stay here at UNT, i mean nothing has changed at all at this program, i mean RV and UNT have tried everything, they even propsed the stadium vote a couple of years back and it failed, health center and Rec center passed with flying colors, i voted for the new stadium, but there werent as many volunteers to help promote it

IT is also a shame for players like pruitt, awasom, and J-mo to commit to programs like UNT, especially J-mo who turned down offers from tech, and other big 12 schools to come here, we have a great coachin staff, AD, and school. but times like last night, just really make us feel lucky to have these guys stay at our lackluster program...

i think dickey and j-mo are good people who we should always thank for their sacrifices, they could leave this team at any time for bigger offers, i mean who in the world who come to coach a team with attendance average below 15K for the season and no fan support.

there offers will soon be in the mail.

Where does one get all this great insight? NT has an attendence problem, when did this happen? In the words of the great Basil Fawty "thank you for pointing out the bleeding obvious".

On a positive note, Saturday's attendence would be viewed as amazing a few years ago competing with Halloween parties, TV, and the threat of a very nasty storm.

While I am at it does anyone else find it very curious that many of the fans of the have nots of the non-BCS world seem to take great delight in pointing out other teams' attendence problems? With a few exceptions, most non-BCS schools have a difficult time competing not only against pro sports, multiple game day tv games, and the development of the pro-like major football powers marketing programs.

The only part of your statment that I disagree with is the part about RV trying everyhting. Is quite a few people on this board stated they didn't see any on-campus advertising this week. The athletic department has a markettign dpeartment, and Saturday night falls squarely on their shoulders. The report to RV, so the attendance falls on his shoulders too.

Before coming to UNT, RV became very successful with Domino's pizza. If he can not only survive, but suceed, in the cut-throat industry of retail; then he has the talent to put butts-in-seats. If I remember right, that's why the steering comitte thought so highly of him. It was something I noticed at the time, and thought very highly of.

Remember the satdium is over 50 years old (or close to it). There is no where to go when it rains. No umbrellas allowed, so you just get wet.

I know weather is a poor excuse, but it does happen and the threat of foul weather does keep people away.

The best way to get more attendance at the games is to 1) bring a friend...or 5. and 2) better advertisement in the city, on campus, and in the area. The campus should be covered. With the game on TV, the area is pretty well covered. I don't know how much the city gets involved.

I know that there are some cities that paint the town for a college game. Denton also has 2 high schools, one competing for state.

This is starting to ramble a bit.

For all the posts here that complain about the lack of attendance, you are preaching to the choir. Keep advertising, keep talking, take a friend, the team will continue to do their part by winning.

This message board is one of the best advertisements around. This board is more active than any other I have attended. I miss a few days and there is 4 pages of updated posts.

Keep talking about the Mean Green. Things will turn around.