Scrimmage, Tourney, and more

Gakusei

League tourney at home a March bonus for Mean Green hoops

By Jeff Wilson

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

The first minute after midnight will pass Saturday morning at North Texas without any Madness.

While other teams across the country celebrate the start of basketball season with early-morning practices -- complete with cheerleaders, bands and fans -- the Super Pit will be empty and dark.

The Mean Green men's and women's teams will hold off until later Saturday morning, practicing without the distractions that can accompany Midnight Madness but with the focus that can bring March Madness.

With the Sun Belt Conference tournament coming to Denton in March, both teams realize this season could provide them a great chance to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.

"You have to win three or four games [in the conference tournament] to go to the NCAA Tournament," UNT men's coach Johnny Jones said. "Having the conference tournament [at home] gives us our best chance to take advantage of that."

Coach Tina Slinker said her women's team is using it as incentive. The team has a motto -- www.netsstayhome.win -- designed to amplify the importance of defending its home court and not letting another team celebrate a conference tournament victory by cutting down the Super Pit nets.

"I'd say the players have known about it since the end of last season," she said. "A couple upperclassmen came in and said, 'Does this mean we have to watch another team cut down the nets?' So, they understand the importance of it."

Slinker and Jones have two starters returning to their clubs, and their key players are both guards.

Erika Bobo, who started all 28 games last season, returns after leading the women (11-17 last season) in assists. Slinker said Bobo will likely move from point to shooting guard to utilize her speed.

Jones said Leonard Hopkins, selected to the Sun Belt's second team last season, will give the Mean Green (13-15) credibility and senior leadership. Jones expects two freshmen, Michael Sturns from North Crowley High School and Quincy Williams from Midwest City, Okla., to contribute this season.

The men's biggest ally, though, could be its schedule, which features 15 home games.

"It's the most home games we've had in 30 years," said Jones, who is 19-6 in Denton since his first season in 2002. "We've had great success playing at home the last few years, and we need to build on that."

The construction begins Saturday.

I had a feeling that Quincy would be playing this year, but Sturns playing really surprises me. I assumed that JJ would have him redshirt this year.

There aren't many redshirts in basketball becase there aren't enough scholarships to go around to let a couple of players sit out a season.

I talked to JJ briefly during a golf tournament at the course I work at, and he said that both Sturns and Williams were doing well. Before we signed Isaac Hines there was talk about moving Sturns to PG, and I'm happy that we won't have to do that as I think he will be most effective at the 2 or 3. I didn't even ask about Hines, and JJ said that he is doing very well and seemed pretty excited about him. I will take that as a good sign smile.gif

This recruiting class and the upcoming recruiting class should be two of the best in recent memory, and should make this team competitive down the road. Bringing back Hopkins gives this year's team a chance to do some things. But someone will have to step up in the post to fill the holes left by Shawnson Johnson and DeGrate.

Edited by e-bone