Week 8 TV Ratings from Sports Media

MCMLXXX

5 hours ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

A massive disappointment. Even with a better opponent, we end up with worse rating. I'll keep saying it..... I wish we would make more of an attempt to promote our games in DFW. We can do better than 30K.

I’d be thrilled if we ever got 30k to attend a game at DATCU, much less watch us on TV.

These numbers are pitiful, and I'm with everyone else who thinks the university should be doing much more to inform the alumni in the DFW that we're on national television. The base assumption of most UNT grads is that our football team isn't good enough to be on national TV, so they never look. As someone said earlier, run some ads during prime time local news. Heck, any time after 5pm for the entire week. Contact sports bars and pubs all over the DFW and, heck, pay them to keep our game on. Get the word out.

As for the Memphis numbers, I still discount it a little bit for being on ESPNU. We know that channel usually isn't included with whatever cable package people have when they get ESPN and ESPN2, so it makes sense that people wouldn't be able to watch. Still, we need to do a better job. 

3 minutes ago, Jason Howeth said:

These numbers are pitiful, and I'm with everyone else who thinks the university should be doing much more to inform the alumni in the DFW that we're on national television. The base assumption of most UNT grads is that our football team isn't good enough to be on national TV, so they never look. As someone said earlier, run some ads during prime time local news. Heck, any time after 5pm for the entire week. Contact sports bars and pubs all over the DFW and, heck, pay them to keep our game on. Get the word out.

As for the Memphis numbers, I still discount it a little bit for being on ESPNU. We know that channel usually isn't included with whatever cable package people have when they get ESPN and ESPN2, so it makes sense that people wouldn't be able to watch. Still, we need to do a better job. 

Our game was also on the at the same time as Texas vs Georgia, the highest rated game of the season. There was also LSU vs. Arkansas, and a few other games.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Our game was also on the at the same time as Texas vs Georgia, the highest rated game of the season. There was also LSU vs. Arkansas, and a few other games.

Exactly. These two games had plenty of degreed UNT alums watching their t-shirt teams play at the same time as their alma mater.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

You've never heard of the Nielsen ratings? The thing all advertisers use to set commercial pricing?

Oh, I've heard of them.  In my 50+ years on this earth, I've never run into anyone that was polled or participated in these ratings.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

41 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Tomorrow, it looks like the main competiton in our time slot is Notre Dame vs Navy. It will be the primary on ABC, but this is lining up to have a potential to have lots of eyeballs on it.

Also at 11 am is:

Nebraska @ #4 Ohio St,

Wash @ #13 Indiana,

OU at #18 Ole Miss,

Ga Tech @ Va Tech,

UNC @ Va,

Charlotte @ Memphis

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Oh, I've heard of them.  In my 50+ years on this earth, I've never run into anyone that was polled or participated in these ratings.

It's a small sample size, about 100k people that reflects the makeup of the US. It's not surprising you've never met anyone considering the population is over 300M people.

• Eye Roll 1