Should Caponi be fired at the end of the season?

Jonnyeagle

Should Caponi be fired at the end of the season?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should Caponi be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Venson said:

At this point, we are halfway through the season. Doesn't that mean we will only owe him half his salary if we fire him? I don't know how those contracts work but if that is the case, we should owe him just under $225k. If we can't afford to pay him $225K to go away, then we have another problem too.

Money shouldn’t play into a decision at all.   He’s owed 225 (or 475, whatever) whether he is here or not not.   If he’s gone, they will interim-replace from within for the rest of the season, not hire from outside.  No added cost.  

Edited by Green with Envy
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Venson said:

At this point, we are halfway through the season. Doesn't that mean we will only owe him half his salary if we fire him? I don't know how those contracts work but if that is the case, we should owe him just under $225k. If we can't afford to pay him $225K to go away, then we have another problem too.

I am with you.  Mosley needs to get some big donors and eat the rest of his deal.  He has single handedly destroyed what could have been a remarkable season historically speaking.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Venson said:

No, the very point of contracts is you owe the entirety of the amount whether you keep him or fire him.  So $475k for this season.

• Upvote 1

Once Caponi is gone, will Mosley still allow Morris to spend more on a DC than all the other G programs? If so, then we should be able to poach away one of the better G conference defensive coordinators. 

Could we lure away the DC from a Boise, Tulane, UNLV, or JMU? Just wondering what the board thinks.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

Once Caponi is gone, will Mosley still allow Morris to spend more on a DC than all the other G programs? If so, then we should be able to poach away one of the better G conference defensive coordinators. 

Could we lure away the DC from a Boise, Tulane, UNLV, or JMU? Just wondering what the board thinks.

I trust that Mosley will be better at price control next time.  Only skins on the wall will garner top G money.  

20 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I listed a few programs on the wish list thread. La Tech, UL-LA, JMU, and ULM all have top 50 defenses. I would love to take their defensive staffs next year.

4 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

No, the very point of contracts is you owe the entirety of the amount whether you keep him or fire him.  So $475k for this season.

I get that we owe him the entirety. I am asking haven't we already been paying him some of the $450k or $475k already? And if we have, shouldn't it be at least halfway paid? I am thinking we don't just pay him one lump sum at the end of each year. I am thinking this is paid out over 12 months.

On 10/23/2024 at 1:16 PM, TIgreen01 said:

This and I dislike the poll.  Should we fire him today would be a valid poll

Yes!  If there has been any significant improvement, I am not good enough as a football analyst to determine what it is.  This should be used as an opportunity to try out a DC sitting on their couch now that would considering interviewing at the end of the season.  If there isn't anyone available right now they are interested in I understand making him finish his contract but taking his authority away.  DC in name only focusing on scouting what defensive concepts our opponents run for things we can steal.  But as AD right now I would be desperate enough to have Patrick Cobbs take over as DC.  Since he knows the run game he might be able to scout and then scheme front 7 concepts that would be better against the run.   We might be able to win shoot outs we frustrate the run game of opponents.  Because sometimes QBs miss WR to extend drives or passes get dropped.  A running back tackling himself in the hole is far more rare.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Venson said:

I get that we owe him the entirety. I am asking haven't we already been paying him some of the $450k or $475k already? And if we have, shouldn't it be at least halfway paid? I am thinking we don't just pay him one lump sum at the end of each year. I am thinking this is paid out over 12 months.

Since they got hired in Dec (maybe Jan for Caponi), we have probably paid 22 of the 24 mos of the contract.  Just speculation on my part though.

On 10/23/2024 at 9:05 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

Just need the HC to not be so damn aggressive on offense all the time and put the defense in better situations.

There are "better" situations for this defense.  But there are NO GOOD situations in a one score game and more than 1:00 minute on the clock before halftime or end of game.  This defense has a few "hot streaks" of opposing offenses not doing everything they want when NEEDED.  

It is so bad that I am not sure I want less than a 8 point lead with 2:15 left with defense on the field OR down by less than a FG with 1:25 left with offense on the field.