Should Caponi be fired at the end of the season?

Jonnyeagle

Should Caponi be fired at the end of the season?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should Caponi be fired at the end of the season?

• Yes
    • No

5 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Traditional wisdom is that you can take those type of gambles (going for it on 4th down in your own territory, etc.) if you have a stout defense which you can trust with a short field.  

I just don’t see the wisdom in going for it in your territory if it’s more than 4th and 1…maybe 4th and 2 depending on what yard line you’re on.  Even you convert, you’re still 50+ yards away from the end zone.

I also don’t agree when we pass up a chip shot field goal to go for it, and that has nothing to do with the defense.  

I think EM is just a gunslinger who has confidence in his offense (his play-calling ability) that he just pushes the pile of money to the center.  Generally, I don’t think it has anything to with the defense, but I think his lack of trust in the defense is why he called the onside kick with over 2 minutes left in the game. 

I’ve said all that, but now I’ll add: you could very well be correct.

No, I agree with your thoughts.  I was mad going for it from our side of the 50 so early in the game, plus not taking the FG shot.  All those misses could have prevented just needing a FG at the end of the game to tie or win instead of a TD + 2 pts. 

• Upvote 3

My fear with firing a coach is that players he has recruited may leave with him. That’s not always the case, but it tends to happen. If kids bolt if/when Caponi gets fired, what becomes of our defense then? That’s another year of learning a system and another year of trying to find their kind of athletes. Yes, it’s a big headache, but I believe it’s necessary up to this point.