CBS Sports Article on Eric Morris

Big Z

This is why I have been such a fan. It started when Seth and Graham spoke so highly of him.

He has proved himself as a qb guru, I hope he is at Cam's Heisman selection ceremony. Amazing story.

I think it is to soon for him to be offered a P5 HC job. My concern would be a school like OU offering a ton of money to be QB,OC after this season. Does he stay after an offer of $4-$5m range?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Good article. Makes me less concerned when QBs transfer out....He's building a system that QBs will want to come play in. 

As long as he's here...our QB room should be in good shape. 

but when will he start caring about the defense? The offense can put up big numbers but they also go silent for long stretches of the game, when opposition coaches make adjustments

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

This is why I have been such a fan. It started when Seth and Graham spoke so highly of him.

He has proved himself as a qb guru, I hope he is at Cam's Heisman selection ceremony. Amazing story.

I think it is to soon for him to be offered a P5 HC job. My concern would be a school like OU offering a ton of money to be QB,OC after this season. Does he stay after an offer of $4-$5m range?

I think how he handles the defense moving forward will give a great indication of whether his goal is to be a high-paid power conference offensive coordinator or he wants to be a head football coach.

• Upvote 1

Just now, untbowler said:

but when will he start caring about the defense? The offense can put up big numbers but they also go silent for long stretches of the game, when opposition coaches make adjustments

I would hope this season makes him care more about defense. 

He brought in a guy to run the 3-3-5 using the same logic that made Seth want to run the 3-3-5: it’s “hard to prepare for.” 

Side note: it still blows my mind that this defense that our offense-focused HCs have found challenging to prepare for is so easy for every other OC we play to prepare for…anyway…

Season 1 defensive failure could be attributed to the new system, new personnel, etc. So, give it another year with better transfer portal players and see what happens.

In season 2, it should be clear to Morris right now that with this offense and our schedule, he’d literally be cruising to an AAC conference championship game and be a legit contender for the CFP if he had a defense that was even middle-of-the-pack in FBS. However, since our defense struggles to tackle and stop other teams from scoring, we’re likely not going to end up in either scenario by the end of the season. 

If that realization doesn’t make him start caring about defense more, I’m not sure what will. 

• Upvote 4

The QB thing was why I was super high on him coming into NT.  I think finding Chandler post-Rogers was huge. Its such a big part of the job -- finding a QB -- that it almost -- almost! -- dwarfs everything else. 

Like, Frank Wilson at UTSA was fired because Frank Harris was hurt. Jeff Traylor's struggling without Harris (but McCown kid looks okay). So important. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, untbowler said:

I agree...

But QB is still the most important position on the field. Having a good one is a luxury. This offense is good enough it can lead a team with this bad of a defense to a 5-2 record. He can go 7-5, 8-4 easily with this level of QB play. But he's not going to win the AAC with this defense regardless of how good the QB is.

QB? Check

Defense? We'll see....

• Upvote 2