Do You Contribute to NIL?

BillySee58

Where Do You Stand With Our NIL?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Where Do You Stand With Our NIL?

• Contribute
    • Don’t Contribute - Don’t Complain About Team Quality/Performance
    • Don’t Contribute - Do Complain About Team Quality/Performance

Light the tower green is where you should donate, without your contributions we might as well pack up and go home…if you’re fan step up and give! Many programs are putting a talent tax surcharge on each ticket and we’re probably going to do the same thing. Sure hope so!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

42 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I do not currently donate to NIL but I'm not opposed to either. What the current funds need to do is be transparent with the public so we know how much the fund has on a monthly basis, how much comes in on a subscription basis, how many one time donations come in and the amounts, and where the money goes. Maybe even set up a website with real-time numbers showing how many subscribers the funds have and the total dollar amount those monthly payments amount to.

If 20,000 fans donated $10 per month on a subscription basis, that's $200,000 per month or $2.4 million per year. I'm more likely to join that donor base and give my scraps if I feel like we're close to those kinds of numbers. Currently, I feel my scraps would go nowhere because I'm not confident our funds are currently receiving that volume of donations. I'd rather not waste my scraps.

All very good points. I think that highlights a huge issue with the crowd funding efforts historically. Much easier to get that measly $10 per month if there’s proof that everyone else is doing so and there’s a material total number behind it.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, MEAN GREEN TO THE MOON said:

Yes, I wrote a check for 50k back in January. We need more big checks coming in for us to have a chance at continued success with Coach Morris at the helm. I'm not saying everyone can afford to give 50k, but most people can afford to give something. 

Wow! That’s awesome! Way to go!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Big Z said:

We buy tickets, merchandise, travel to games, go to watch parties...what else can you really ask for? 

Not trying to minimize these things. More trying to point out that we know our NIL isn’t up to some of these top teams in our conference yet it feels like there’s an expectation we are going to compete with them while burying our head in the sand with our NIL situation. Feels like there’s a bit of a disconnect there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

About the only way I can see myself being a part of NIL would be through purchasing player branded merchandise, as NIL was meant to be. If I had a business I wanted to advertise, I would gladly sign a player to do it. But I don’t like the collectives, because they are non-transparent. We don’t have a clue what our own collectives are doing. I have no clue to which players that money goes or how that is decided.

I give to the scholarship fund because I know it goes to fund the player scholarships. If we don’t keep giving there, the university has to make up that money from somewhere. That likely means something else gets money taken away. And fans even give enough to fund all the needed scholarships as it it. Not even close. 

For sure. I prefer NIL in those avenues as well. Wish the official NIL jerseys looked better. Would be cool to see a bunch of Morris jerseys around DATCU but the current available version looks atrocious.

Also, I think at our level the NIL it takes to be competitive isn’t all that much. You could probably pull a solid FCS defensive lineman away from those schools for like $15k. Not chump change but also not a hard number to reach through a collective either. A good, legal advantage that I feel like we are missing out on currently.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

They have so far though, right? The school we just lost to has guys making more in those positions.

Yes I would say they do, based on the Frank Harris situation. Not to mention all the other guys the retained over the years.

I don't know man

I admire your passion and I can't speak for others....but it's exhausting dealing with this program. Trying to get others on this bandwagon...begging alumni to come to a game. Getting us just about to relevance only to get knocked back down.

People complaining about the program does mean they at least care about the program. I complain less and less as every year goes by. Yes, I get "don't bitch unless you're coming with a solution." But we don't get paid to provide the solution. The athletic department does. We're the customers and if the department doesn't see students, alumni and fans as the customer and treat them accordingly...then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't think I would go to a customer and say "if you would pay a higher price for my product, I would give you what you're getting from my competitor who isn't asking you for more money." (that competitor being entertainment for your eyeballs). That's not sustainable. I would rather create a better product, be smart about how I'm building it, do it better....give value...have a customer WANT to give me more money. This chicken and egg thing doesn't work. 

North Texas is competing against apathy. That apathy turns around when the customer base sees NT as something they want to be a part of. But THEY have to do it first....don't ask me to do it for you. Win meaningful games, build a culture around accountability...that comes from holding those responsible for it to a standard. Like.....if you have the worst defense in the country, you don't deserve to have a job here as the DC anymore because we have higher standards than that and we believe that winning football games will bring more customers. If you let that subpar performer come back with his big salary, that tells me you don't take me seriously. If you're not holding yourself to a higher standard, don't hold me, the customer, to one. You can't win meaningful football games with the worst defense in the nation. Yes we're 5-2 and that's GREAT! (for a team that hasn't won 5 of the first 7 games like ever.....) After our next 2 games, we will more than likely be 5-4. So then what? If you're asking to get in the big boy world of NIL....that's not gonna cut it. Do better. Get ranked. UTSA raises more money than UNT? I bet they didn't before they won 11 games and got ranked and got national attention. Frank Harris or not....they did it somehow. Figure it out. 

**EDIT**

I'll add...if we're saying we can't win unless we get more $$ from alumni and fans....then we might as well shut down the program. 100 years of this says it's not gonna happen. So if that's the case, they need to do some sort of pivot.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

There is NO transparency with NIL.  What player gets how much for how long?  What if a player is injured or benched? What are each school's NIL totals?  Too many unanswered questions. 

To ask fans to donate to an unknown fund for an unknown reason just because we're current fans is not rational.  You're more likely to get donations based if the program meets certain goals.  Just like a coaching bonus.  Bonus/donations for wins, titles, Bowls, etc.

Sounds like you and others will always come up with a reason not to give.  If you don’t trust the NIL’s then give directly to the player of your choice.    Individual fans can do that now easily you know.  I am fine with you not wanting to donate to NIL or claiming its a black hole, but stop with claiming it’s nefarious.  It’s not unknown, it is funding for the best players we can get to come here.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

To colony eagle: we have a great product this year, you’re right, we have to start winning the big games, get ranked like we did in the 70’s and, yes, we are the customers, if we win consistently, people will give their fair share! 

The premise of this thread is silly.  So someone who pays for season tickets to the Dallas Cowboys but does not send additional money to reimburse players has no right to complain about the Cowboys' performance?  I would say that a fan who only watches on TV still has a right to complain--that's what fans do.  Whether those within the organization choose to listen to such fans is entirely up to them.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't know man

I admire your passion and I can't speak for others....but it's exhausting dealing with this program. Trying to get others on this bandwagon...begging alumni to come to a game. Getting us just about to relevance only to get knocked back down.

People complaining about the program does mean they at least care about the program. I complain less and less as every year goes by. Yes, I get "don't bitch unless you're coming with a solution." But we don't get paid to provide the solution. The athletic department does. We're the customers and if the department doesn't see students, alumni and fans as the customer and treat them accordingly...then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't think I would go to a customer and say "if you would pay a higher price for my product, I would give you what you're getting from my competitor who isn't asking you for more money." (that competitor being entertainment for your eyeballs). That's not sustainable. I would rather create a better product, be smart about how I'm building it, do it better....give value...have a customer WANT to give me more money. This chicken and egg thing doesn't work. 

North Texas is competing against apathy. That apathy turns around when the customer base sees NT as something they want to be a part of. But THEY have to do it first....don't ask me to do it for you. Win meaningful games, build a culture around accountability...that comes from holding those responsible for it to a standard. Like.....if you have the worst defense in the country, you don't deserve to have a job here as the DC anymore because we have higher standards than that and we believe that winning football games will bring more customers. If you let that subpar performer come back with his big salary, that tells me you don't take me seriously. If you're not holding yourself to a higher standard, don't hold me, the customer, to one. You can't win meaningful football games with the worst defense in the nation. Yes we're 5-2 and that's GREAT! (for a team that hasn't won 5 of the first 7 games like ever.....) After our next 2 games, we will more than likely be 5-4. So then what? If you're asking to get in the big boy world of NIL....that's not gonna cut it. Do better. Get ranked. UTSA raises more money than UNT? I bet they didn't before they won 11 games and got ranked and got national attention. Frank Harris or not....they did it somehow. Figure it out. 

**EDIT**

I'll add...if we're saying we can't win unless we get more $$ from alumni and fans....then we might as well shut down the program. 100 years of this says it's not gonna happen. So if that's the case, they need to do some sort of pivot.

Well stated!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I don't know man

**EDIT**

Outstanding post!  Give what you can.  If you can't or don't want to then don't and still have fun but just don't expect too much.

• Eye Roll 1

I give $100 every few months and donate to the MGSF via my season tickets. It's better than nothing but we need more fans doing similar. 

Maybe if we make a communism/trans rights fund or a Mean Green for Kamala fund we can get more UNT alumni to donate to it. Where in reality, all funds go to the NIL. Sounds legit right?

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I do not currently donate to NIL but I'm not opposed to either. What the current funds need to do is be transparent with the public so we know how much the fund has on a monthly basis, how much comes in on a subscription basis, how many one time donations come in and the amounts, and where the money goes. Maybe even set up a website with real-time numbers showing how many subscribers the funds have and the total dollar amount those monthly payments amount to.

If 20,000 fans donated $10 per month on a subscription basis, that's $200,000 per month or $2.4 million per year. I'm more likely to join that donor base and give my scraps if I feel like we're close to those kinds of numbers. Currently, I feel my scraps would go nowhere because I'm not confident our funds are currently receiving that volume of donations. I'd rather not waste my scraps.

Yes to this.  I'm not against fans supporting and giving to NIL.  I'm glad if they do, if it doesn't impact their other giving to Athletics.  But more transparency is needed for me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Sounds like you and others will always come up with a reason not to give.  If you don’t trust the NIL’s then give directly to the player of your choice.    Individual fans can do that now easily you know.  I am fine with you not wanting to donate to NIL or claiming its a black hole, but stop with claiming it’s nefarious.  It’s not unknown, it is funding for the best players we can get to come here.  

Show us where the $$ go is all we're asking.   Why all the hidden agenda?

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

To the OP -- what's the exact dollar figure I have to donate in order to have an opinion on my college's football team?

I’m not trying to be the arbiter here of who can or can’t complain. Again, it’s a nuanced topic and I think there are a lot of angles of discussion here. If you want to make it a black and white issue then it’s not going to be a very productive conversation.

My personal stances are:

1. Why are we acting surprised when we fail to surpass teams whose fans have done more to give them a competitive advantage than we have?

2. Why are we getting so wrapped up in why NIL is bad instead of recognizing it as an opportunity to help us get where we very clearly want to be?

3. Why do so many on here spend so much time bitching about our program(s) while knowing about 1 and 2 above and choosing not to help that matter?

Again, these aren’t meant to be rhetorical. There are good arguments on both sides.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

39 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

The premise of this thread is silly.  So someone who pays for season tickets to the Dallas Cowboys but does not send additional money to reimburse players has no right to complain about the Cowboys' performance?

We both know the analogy here is lacking until college athletes are paid by the University directly. Again, you can look at this as I “why should I have to give to the players directly when I already give to the school” situation if you want.

It just seems like a prevalent mindset that objectively is resulting in a missed opportunity for our programs. Even if the logic is fine.

39 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I would say that a fan who only watches on TV still has a right to complain--that's what fans do.  Whether those within the organization choose to listen to such fans is entirely up to them.

I agree.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

My personal stances are:

1. Why are we acting surprised when we fail to surpass teams whose fans have done more to give them a competitive advantage than we have?

You imply Memphis won because of more NIL.  How much more and what players?   How do we know what Memphis has given in NIL compared to our NIL with no info from anyone about it?

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NT80 said:

You imply Memphis won because of more NIL.  How much more and what players?   How do we know what Memphis has given in NIL compared to our NIL with no info from anyone about it?

Memphis gets a lot of their NIL from Fed Ex.  Denton has very little businesses like this we can expect help from.  Denton businesses have always been very hesitant to help UNT in my opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

16 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It feels like we have a large contingency of die-hard fans who are both not on board with contributing to NIL, but also still feel entitled to demand an AAC championship level team here. JayD pointed out that Memphis team had about $1M more in NIL “salary cap” on that roster than we did. 

Like it or not, we as fans now have a very direct and tangible impact on the talent level of our roster. I get not everyone is in a place of tremendous financial stability, but we can’t do $100 or so here and there? 2,000 people doing $100 one-time gets us more than we currently have going to our roster, from what JayD said. We have over 400 comments in our game day thread and over 20K people going to games. The numbers people wise seems to be there.

I’m not gonna fully say you can’t complain if you don’t contribute, but why wouldn’t you want to help be part of fixing these issues and shortcomings with our program? You think we should fire Caponi, that seems like an argument you could make with substance behind it. By all means, criticize bad decisions by the Athletic Department or coaching staff. They get paid to represent our University and put a good product together to raise its reputation.

That being said, don’t you feel like if you’re upset with performance you have much more right to be upset when you actually have some skin in the game with the roster versus just watching on TV? Not coming from a place of hostility here.

JayD pointed out that Memphis team had about $1M more in NIL “salary cap” on that roster than we did. 

That's because their school leadership landed a massive deal with FedEx. Until we get our own deal, we'll continue to trail the top G5 programs. 

https://newsroom.fedex.com/newsroom/united-states/fedex-announces-nil-program-for-university-of-memphis-student-athletes

And like others have said, I think more people would be willing to donate if there was more transparency. Right now, we're being asked to blindly donate and trust the money is being put to good use. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Going off of what JayD said as he has proven to have very reliable sourced info in the past. Plus they are the only school in the country with a 4-year starting QB who has spent their entire career with that school. That doesn’t happen without substantial NIL based on what we hear for the QB transfer portal market.

And we know FedEx is funding their NIL for all sports at $1 million annually.

https://newsroom.fedex.com/newsroom/united-states/fedex-announces-nil-program-for-university-of-memphis-student-athletes