Do You Contribute to NIL?

BillySee58

Where Do You Stand With Our NIL?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Where Do You Stand With Our NIL?

• Contribute
    • Don’t Contribute - Don’t Complain About Team Quality/Performance
    • Don’t Contribute - Do Complain About Team Quality/Performance

It feels like we have a large contingency of die-hard fans who are both not on board with contributing to NIL, but also still feel entitled to demand an AAC championship level team here. JayD pointed out that Memphis team had about $1M more in NIL “salary cap” on that roster than we did. 

Like it or not, we as fans now have a very direct and tangible impact on the talent level of our roster. I get not everyone is in a place of tremendous financial stability, but we can’t do $100 or so here and there? 2,000 people doing $100 one-time gets us more than we currently have going to our roster, from what JayD said. We have over 400 comments in our game day thread and over 20K people going to games. The numbers people wise seems to be there.

I’m not gonna fully say you can’t complain if you don’t contribute, but why wouldn’t you want to help be part of fixing these issues and shortcomings with our program? You think we should fire Caponi, that seems like an argument you could make with substance behind it. By all means, criticize bad decisions by the Athletic Department or coaching staff. They get paid to represent our University and put a good product together to raise its reputation.

That being said, don’t you feel like if you’re upset with performance you have much more right to be upset when you actually have some skin in the game with the roster versus just watching on TV? Not coming from a place of hostility here.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 9
  • Downvote 3

48 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

So do I redirect the thousands of dollars in donations per year to Athletics MGSF and special projects to NIL??? Or am I and others like me supposed to also now fund the players “salaries” on top of all this while the coaches and administrators make millions in salary? The whole system is unsustainable and quite bluntly, F’d. Make the schools themselves pay for this shit. UNT has a like 600 million dollar a year budget. Pay salaries, put players on contracts, and call it a University marketing expense.

Also I’m a fan - I’ll complain about or praise anything I want at any time.

Stop blaming our fans. It’s old and tiresome and I’ll continue to call it out every time I see this line of idiocy.

I agree that the current model is terrible... not only is it now standard for the AD to ask for money for the scholarship fund, season tickets, special 'campaigns', merchandise and God forbid a contract buyout when they realize they overpaid for a coach they now have to fire... the AD now has the crutch to say well, we just can't get a roster like other schools unless you contribute to NIL... 

I'm 100% behind everything i just bolded in your quote, quit the charade of acting like these kids aren't employees

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

So do I redirect the thousands of dollars in donations per year to Athletics MGSF and special projects to NIL??? Or am I and others like me supposed to also now fund the players “salaries” on top of all this while the coaches and administrators make millions in salary? The whole system is unsustainable and quite bluntly, F’d. Make the schools themselves pay for this shit. UNT has a like 600 million dollar a year budget. Pay salaries, put players on contracts, and call it a University marketing expense.

Stop blaming our fans. It’s old and tiresome and I’ll continue to call it out every time I see this line of idiocy.

Thank you.  The "poll" is a predictable blame the fans approach in an effort to deflect the short-comings of the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

I think NIL/ PORTAL sucks...and doubt I'll ever contribute.

I've bought season tickets for 25+ years.. even when I spent a 1+ years in the sandbox. If I can't bitch some please call me from the athletic department and I'll stop buying my 4 season tickets.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

So do I redirect the thousands of dollars in donations per year to Athletics MGSF and special projects to NIL???

Yes.

Or am I and others like me supposed to also now fund the players “salaries” on top of all this while the coaches and administrators make millions in salary? The whole system is unsustainable and quite bluntly, F’d. Make the schools themselves pay for this shit. UNT has a like 600 million dollar a year budget. Pay salaries, put players on contracts, and call it a University marketing expense.

This is illegal currently. Not against the system you are proposing but that’s a different conversation.

Not blaming fans. More wondering why so many of our die hards would rather be mad online than contribute to our collectives to put together a better roster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

I’m gonna keep this file saved and post in every thread I see blaming our fans. We’re lucky to have the passionate group we have. Truly some of the BEST fans in the country. I salute each and every fellow Mean Green masochist on GMG.com and beyond.

IMG_6827.png

I agree. It’s why I also find it weird how much whining I have seen during a 5-2 start. Again, my question is more why so many passionate fans are not jumping at the new opportunity to take us to heights we haven’t reached. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I do the monthly "membership" with the Light The Tower crew. Treating it like a monthly streaming subscription.

This is the approach I don’t understand why it’s not more widely adopted. Feels easier than hand wringing over the system and how screwed college football is and how broken system etc etc etc

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I guess I'm crazy enough to think that the head coach making a million per year and the AD making high six figures with an empire of VPs under him should earn THEIR money.

They have so far though, right? The school we just lost to has guys making more in those positions.

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Call me when we're ranked, call me when we win 11 games....like UTSA has done recently. Do their alumni and fans give more than we do?

Yes I would say they do, based on the Frank Harris situation. Not to mention all the other guys the retained over the years.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

I think NIL/ PORTAL sucks...and doubt I'll ever contribute.

I've bought season tickets for 25+ years.. even when I spent a 1+ years in the sandbox. If I can't bitch some please call me from the athletic department and I'll stop buying my 4 season tickets.

The cost of season tickets equates to more than what I considered as having skin in the game. Especially considering how many years you stated. 

Look, people who don’t contribute to NIL took this as a personal attack. That’s not the intention. It’s more of a “what do you expect?” conversation. Not contributing to NIL, watching us fall behind (in NIL) the teams we want to beat on the field, then spending our weekends angry that we didn’t beat them just feels like a very predictable cycle. But again, it’s supposed to be a conversation because it’s a nuanced topic with multiple stances that can be taken.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

47 minutes ago, keith said:

Thank you.  The "poll" is a predictable blame the fans approach in an effort to deflect the short-comings of the coaching staff. 

Nope. I’m of the opinion Caponi should be fired. Wondering why we aren’t directing more of our fan passion and energy towards NIL and holding paid AD staff accountable for their body of work are not mutually exclusive stances.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2

11 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

The cost of season tickets equates to more than what I considered as having skin in the game. Especially considering how many years you stated. 

Look, people who don’t contribute to NIL took this as a personal attack. That’s not the intention. It’s more of a “what do you expect?” conversation. Not contributing to NIL, watching us fall behind (in NIL) the teams we want to beat on the field, then spending our weekends angry that we didn’t beat them just feels like a very predictable cycle. But again, it’s supposed to be a conversation because it’s a nuanced topic with multiple stances that can be taken.

There is NO transparency with NIL.  What player gets how much for how long?  What if a player is injured or benched? What are each school's NIL totals?  Too many unanswered questions. 

To ask fans to donate to an unknown fund for an unknown reason just because we're current fans is not rational.  You're more likely to get donations based if the program meets certain goals.  Just like a coaching bonus.  Bonus/donations for wins, titles, Bowls, etc.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, NT80 said:

There is NO transparency with NIL.  What player gets how much for how long?  What if a player is injured or benched? What are each school's NIL totals?  Too many unanswered questions. 

To ask fans to donate to an unknown fund for an unknown reason just because we're current fans is not rational.  You're more likely to get donations based if the program meets certain goals.  Just like a coaching bonus.  Bonus/donations for wins, titles, Bowls, etc.

2 hours ago, Udomann said:

Without player contracts i won't be donating to player salaries.  I contribute my share already.

Until it because a binding agreement and not an annual auction, I'll be staying away from NIL

These are valid qualms with NIL.

• Upvote 2

About the only way I can see myself being a part of NIL would be through purchasing player branded merchandise, as NIL was meant to be. If I had a business I wanted to advertise, I would gladly sign a player to do it. But I don’t like the collectives, because they are non-transparent. We don’t have a clue what our own collectives are doing. I have no clue to which players that money goes or how that is decided.

I give to the scholarship fund because I know it goes to fund the player scholarships. If we don’t keep giving there, the university has to make up that money from somewhere. That likely means something else gets money taken away. And fans even give enough to fund all the needed scholarships as it it. Not even close. 

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I give to the scholarship fund because I know it goes to fund the player scholarships. If we don’t keep giving there, the university has to make up that money from somewhere. That likely means something else gets money taken away. And fans even give enough to fund all the needed scholarships as it it. Not even close. 

Yes, is NIL taking away potential donations from Facilities and Master Plan goals for the Program?  I'd rather have buildings that serve generations of fans and players than give $ to a great player that will probably transfer to a P4 anyway.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Yes.

This is illegal currently. Not against the system you are proposing but that’s a different conversation.

Not blaming fans. More wondering why so many of our die hards would rather be mad online than contribute to our collectives to put together a better roster. 

We buy tickets, merchandise, travel to games, go to watch parties...what else can you really ask for? 

• Upvote 3

I do not currently donate to NIL but I'm not opposed to either. What the current funds need to do is be transparent with the public so we know how much the fund has on a monthly basis, how much comes in on a subscription basis, how many one time donations come in and the amounts, and where the money goes. Maybe even set up a website with real-time numbers showing how many subscribers the funds have and the total dollar amount those monthly payments amount to.

If 20,000 fans donated $10 per month on a subscription basis, that's $200,000 per month or $2.4 million per year. I'm more likely to join that donor base and give my scraps if I feel like we're close to those kinds of numbers. Currently, I feel my scraps would go nowhere because I'm not confident our funds are currently receiving that volume of donations. I'd rather not waste my scraps.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1