Seth loses OU gig

TripleGrad

1 hour ago, RBP79 said:

Don't feel sorry for him....still cashin those NT checks.

How can you say that.  Extremely painfully embarrassing to be fired like that in the middle of the season.  He's not just another coaching hire at OU.  His family has extremely close ties to the University. I believe they are big donors and his dad was a player on their national championship team.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

31 minutes ago, JT Hammons said:

How can you say that.  Extremely painfully embarrassing to be fired like that in the middle of the season.  He's not just another coaching hire at OU.  His family has extremely close ties to the University. I believe they are big donors and his dad was a player on their national championship team.

Seth played on the 2000 National Championship Team at OU. He screw himself and to some degree NT when he was interviewing for the Kansas job and kind of left NT hanging during that decision period while we were preparing for the New Mexico Bowl. He's not hurting except for his ego.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe it was time for Seth to move on but it's hard to understand why some of you will be so happy that he was fired from OU. 

I am not happy that he was fired but I am happy that he was fired for being a shitty OC at OU since so many of their fans were assholes when we fired him. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I am not happy that he was fired but I am happy that he was fired for being a shitty OC at OU since so many of their fans were assholes when we fired him. 

I have no love for oU; enjoy seeing them suffering, as well as all the "power" programs!

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, JT Hammons said:

23 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe it was time for Seth to move on but it's hard to understand why some of you will be so happy that he was fired from OU. 

21 hours ago, NT93 said:

Agreed.  You know how some people complain that we only beat bad teams?  Before SL got here, we were one of those teams. He raised the bar here.

So North Texas never won any championships or bowl games?  Give me a break.  "We only beat bad teams", could apply to his most visible win here; a historically bad Arkansas team that got rid of their staff later that season.  He is a good man but a mediocre coach when he arrived, while he was here, and today as an unemployed OC still cashing checks from UNT.  You can find numerous other post from me and others questioning is resume at hiring, first guessing the extensions, and lamenting that he wasn't fired sooner.  

It isn't "happy he was fired" that is coming from me it is an “I told you so”.  And I think my sentiment is shared by others.  You can be mediocre as a professional it isn’t an insult or slight when your record is below 0.500 against FBS competition, with no Bowl wins or conference championships.  It is what the numbers say he is, which factored into him being fired here and now OU.  

He work hard here, I appreciate that.  But he was also paid well best salary this institution paid a Head Coach at the time he was hired.  He also got 2 raises.  Now that this appendix of the UNT Book of Seth is complete can we stop fighting about a coach THAT WON NOTHING OF CONSEQUENCE HERE?

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

So North Texas never won any championships or bowl games?  Give me a break.  "We only beat bad teams", could apply to his most visible win here; a historically bad Arkansas team that got rid of their staff later that season.  He is a good man but a mediocre coach when he arrived, while he was here, and today as an unemployed OC still cashing checks from UNT.  You can find numerous other post from me and others questioning is resume at hiring, first guessing the extensions, and lamenting that he wasn't fired sooner.  

It isn't "happy he was fired" that is coming from me it is an “I told you so”.  And I think my sentiment is shared by others.  You can be mediocre as a professional it isn’t an insult or slight when your record is below 0.500 against FBS competition, with no Bowl wins or conference championships.  It is what the numbers say he is, which factored into him being fired here and now OU.  

He work hard here, I appreciate that.  But he was also paid well best salary this institution paid a Head Coach at the time he was hired.  He also got 2 raises.  Now that this appendix of the UNT Book of Seth is complete can we stop fighting about a coach THAT WON NOTHING OF CONSEQUENCE HERE?

Having gotten on campus in 2005, the run from 05-15 only saw one season I was proud of.  That was so miserable.  I didn’t get to experience the joys of the years prior and spent a decade in my favorite hobby’s hellhouse.  I appreciate Seth for modernizing the program, giving us something to finally cheer about (before, apart from a solid 2013 and a handful of small wins here and there, there wasn’t much) and some hope for a while.  So I would definitely say he elevated the program. Not to crazy heights but it was better than how he found it.  I think Smatresk and Wren deserve a lot of credit for all of that elevation too.  

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Having gotten on campus in 2005, the run from 05-15 only saw one season I was proud of.  That was so miserable.  I didn’t get to experience the joys of the years prior and spent a decade in my favorite hobby’s hellhouse.  I appreciate Seth for modernizing the program, giving us something to finally cheer about (before, apart from a solid 2013 and a handful of small wins here and there, there wasn’t much) and some hope for a while.  So I would definitely say he elevated the program. Not to crazy heights but it was better than how he found it.  I think Smatresk and Wren deserve a lot of credit for all of that elevation too.  

Smatresk and Wren deserve majority of the credit for modernizing the program.  And leaving out Coach Mac is a big oversight IMO.  It ended badly for Mac but he is the one that elevated expectations around here to fit the new stadium.  Seth did his best to meet those raised expectations.  So I disagree he elevated the program. He didn’t hurt it either.  But also other coaches in our conference (and other G5s) operating with less over a shorter amount of time to build their programs routinely beat his teams.

The program has been bad but it not like he was recruiting to subpar training facilities, with an subpar budget and a Fouts Field beyond repair.  He didn’t elevate us to mediocre we were already there.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

40 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Smatresk and Wren deserve majority of the credit for modernizing the program.  And leaving out Coach Mac is a big oversight IMO.  It ended badly for Mac but he is the one that elevated expectations around here to fit the new stadium.  Seth did his best to meet those raised expectations.  So I disagree he elevated the program. He didn’t hurt it either.  But also other coaches in our conference (and other G5s) operating with less over a shorter amount of time to build their programs routinely beat his teams.

The program has been bad but it not like he was recruiting to subpar training facilities, with an subpar budget and a Fouts Field beyond repair.  He didn’t elevate us to mediocre we were already there.  

I agree with most of your points, I think our only difference may just be our conclusion.  I’m too tired to counterpoint for the night other than that our records improved under Seth relative to the previous decade. If I feel like it I’ll come back, but general tip of the hat bc I don’t think we are thinking all that differently about the circumstances that surrounded the whole deal.