Yet, we won't fire Caponi...

Marcelo

2 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

What does firing him mid-season gain us? He only has a 2 year contract. At this rate I doubt he stays.

My brother in Christ, if we get one more win and get to a bowl game, Jared will extend everyone and hand out big raises.  That's just the way it goes in Denton.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

Not saying the defense is great by any means but we held them to 5 straight 3-and-outs from the end of the 2nd to end of the 3rd quarters. The problem is we came out of that run with 3 total points of our own. The 2 minute touchdown drives are fun but when we're not explosive on offense, we don't get a whole lot on that side of the ball either. I think we had one drive with 48 yards and no points. Everything else with no points was around 10 yards or less.

It wouldn't hurt to run some clock a bit so the defense can rest. This is the same issue we often had with Littrell's teams.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sends a message that this level of performance will not be accepted.

To whom is this message intended? Firing coordinators during the season almost never does much to improve play. You can’t bring in new players, you can install a totally new system, any new outside coordinator won’t know the players. Is this just to make the fans feel better? It makes fans feel better till the next loss or just poor performance when they will be screaming to fire the next coach. 

I notice the folks that get paid to analyze football teams almost never call for midseason coordinator firings because you’re spending money with no positive result. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I’d buy this excuse if you could answer these questions for me.

- At what point during that game did you feel that Memphis’ quarterback was under consistent pressure, hurried, or thrown off his game?

- At what point during that game did you think to yourself, “Our defense has taken Memphis’ offense out of what they want to do”?

- At what point during that game did you think, “We just took the lead again and I think this defense will hold the lead”?  

You cannot HONESTLY say that any of these questions can be answered in a way that favors North Texas.  You CAN though insert North Texas everywhere you see Memphis in the above questions and have a different answer to the questions.

Exactly.  Anytime we scored or took a lead, Memphis did whatever it wanted.  That’s what I took away.  Tulane will likely do the same.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Sends a message that this level of performance will not be accepted.

But let’s pay him, overextend the staff, and start a scramble while there are still games to be played. Succession plan and continuity matter in an organization. Rock the boat too hard and you’ll tip over. There is a time and place. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I’d buy this excuse if you could answer these questions for me.

- At what point during that game did you feel that Memphis’ quarterback was under consistent pressure, hurried, or thrown off his game?

- At what point during that game did you think to yourself, “Our defense has taken Memphis’ offense out of what they want to do”?

- At what point during that game did you think, “We just took the lead again and I think this defense will hold the lead”?  

You cannot HONESTLY say that any of these questions can be answered in a way that favors North Texas.  You CAN though insert North Texas everywhere you see Memphis in the above questions and have a different answer to the questions.

What does any of that have to do with the fact that our offense has been inconsistent in almost every game we've played this year? Speaking to last night specifically, our offense did nothing to separate itself during their 5 consecutive 3-and-outs. Instead it was a field goal, a fumble, and some punts. I'll break it down a bit. For 5 consecutive drives, we held them to a collective 5 carries for 4 total yards, 2 of 9 passing for 13 total yards, and had 1 sack. During that time, we put up 3 points. I'm not going to blame the defense for holding Memphis scoreless for 22 minutes because Memphis was possibly never in fear.

If we love the offense when they're good, we need to love the defense when they're good. If we're going to trash the defense when they're bad, we should also trash the offense when they're bad. Can't pick and choose.

The defense needs to generate turnovers. They've been terrible at that. The offense needs to take care of the football. They've been terrible in that area at times.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

What does any of that have to do with the fact that our offense has been inconsistent in almost every game we've played this year? Speaking to last night specifically, our offense did nothing to separate itself during their 5 consecutive 3-and-outs. Instead it was a field goal, a fumble, and some punts. I'll break it down a bit. For 5 consecutive drives, we held them to a collective 5 carries for 4 total yards, 2 of 9 passing for 13 total yards, and had 1 sack. During that time, we put up 3 points. I'm not going to blame the defense for holding Memphis scoreless for 22 minutes because Memphis was possibly never in fear.

If we love the offense when they're good, we need to love the defense when they're good. If we're going to trash the defense when they're bad, we should also trash the offense when they're bad. Can't pick and choose.

The defense needs to generate turnovers. They've been terrible at that. The offense needs to take care of the football. They've been terrible in that area at times.

The problem is the offense is good a lot more than the defense is good. It just amazes me we can have one of the top offenses in football yet for some reason people keep trying to make this defense look like we're almost there.

Their defense had been given up about 15 points a game and we score 44, which is what almost 300% of their average. While on the offensive side of the ball they've been averaging about 32 and we give up 52 or what is that somewhere around 160% of their average. But yes let's try and make sure we place blame on the offense also.

10 hours ago, Marcelo said:

52 points allowed. 

Another display of how bad our defense is. Yet...of course we won't fire overpaid Caponi. 

So North Texas.

If we won’t why keep bringing it up. Do you really think firing any coach at this time of the season would be beneficial to the team? That is what it is all about what can a coach do now to make them better. Bitch at the end of the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Those in favor of a midseason firing of Caponi should look to Purdue firing Graham Harrell. Purdue on the year averages 20.28 points per game. In 4 games before firing Harrell they averaged 21.75. In 3 games since firing him they average 20.80 points. That's close enough I'd all it no change. 

For no change, they have added work to the staff, taken away preparation time for the team, still paid Harrell his annual salary, confused potential recruits, and still lost three more games. 

Wait til the end of the season to make coaching changes! 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

And messes with recruiting, hurts locker room morale, etc etc. Unless they thought they had a slam dunk to bring in mid season, there's no point.

How does it mess with recruiting. You can let defensive recruits know you're making changes and not have players not wanting to come here because you're so bad at defense

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The problem is the offense is good a lot more than the defense is good. It just amazes me we can have one of the top offenses in football yet for some reason people keep trying to make this defense look like we're almost there.

Their defense had been given up about 15 points a game and we score 44, which is what almost 300% of their average. While on the offensive side of the ball they've been averaging about 32 and we give up 52 or what is that somewhere around 160% of their average. But yes let's try and make sure we place blame on the offense also.

So to be clear, you think it's acceptable to score 3 points over the course of 25 minutes of play. Got it. 

I'm not saying there should complete blame on the offense but sports are situational. A game is full streaks and during that period of time, our defense took over. Our offense did nothing in return. That’s not going to win games. 

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

24 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

So to be clear, you think it's acceptable to score 3 points over the course of 25 minutes of play. Got it. 

I'm not saying there should complete blame on the offense but sports are situational. A game is full streaks and during that period of time, our defense took over. Our offense did nothing in return. That’s not going to win games. 

I don't think you can single out just this stretch. I mean, comon, the offense scored 44 points and put up over 600 yards. By your logic, they should have put up over 700 and scored 60 to win. The point is, scoring what they did should be enough to win games. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm sure you understand the x's and o's better than I do but your logic is basically the more our defense struggled the better our offense has to play to make up for that or it's their fault. Look I understand there's not an easy answer but we're coming up on a stretch for the next two games have teams with offenses similar to and defensive similar to what we face last night and I think it would be hard pressed for someone to truly say they believe our defense can step it up for a full game against any of these teams

• Upvote 1