What Would You Consider a Moral Victory?

6 minutes ago, Venson said:

There is no moral victory. We have the capability to beat this team if we come to play. No such thing as a moral victory IMO.

I agree.  I felt like last year was a moral victory against them to some degree, but there are no moral victories left on our schedule.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Venson said:

There is no moral victory. We have the capability to beat this team if we come to play. No such thing as a moral victory IMO.

I feel like that mentality is why we haven’t advanced more as a program over the years. Needing an absolute win to consider it a success instead of taking the good that comes with a respectable performance in a loss. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I feel like that mentality is why we haven’t advanced more as a program over the years. Needing an absolute win to consider it a success instead of taking the good that comes with a respectable performance in a loss. 

Well we gave away last years game to Memphis and lost by a point. Does anyone think that was a moral victory?

The other name for "moral victory" is "loss".

The ONLY thing that matters this year is the W-L column.  UNT has to show it can play and win at this level if there is to ever be an invite to the next level.  #hit6 must die.  Moral Victory must die.  Old Denton must die.

Just WIN, baby!

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, wardly said:

Well we gave away last years game to Memphis and lost by a point. Does anyone think that was a moral victory?

As I stated earlier, I think it was from the standpoint that we were new to the AAC and Memphis was one of the top dogs, so we really proved that we belonged.  I felt like our games last year against Memphis and Tulane proved that we can compete in the AAC, so in year two, there are no more moral victories.

2 minutes ago, TripleGrad said:

The other name for "moral victory" is "loss".

The ONLY thing that matters this year is the W-L column.  UNT has to show it can play and win at this level if there is to ever be an invite to the next level.  #hit6 must die.  Moral Victory must die.  Old Denton must die.

Just WIN, baby!

Disagree. Old Denton DIDN’T recognize moral victories. That’s why those teams were losing double digit games. We have to understand the almost-winners mentality to take the next step and it looks like we are.

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

I get the intent, but moral victories are for people OK with losing.   At some point, we have to shake that feeling and expect greatness.  I’m ready for that time.  

but to answer the question, a moral victory would be no “fire Caponi” or “our defense sucks” chants.  

Edited by Green with Envy
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

With all do respect Billy, we're 5-1. I think we deserve better than moral victories. I also think these players and staff have earned that respect to be expected to win big games.

This CANNOT be a "moral victory".  Anytime an opponent has a record setting stastical day it is NOT a moral victory.  A game in which one part of your team played bad on a historical level it is NEVER a moral victory.