***OFFICIAL UNT vs MEMPHIS IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

4 minutes ago, rcade said:

Pair this offense with even an average defense and it's the best team in UNT history.

I agree but just wouldn't it be an incredible thing if Morris decided he wanted an elite defense also and put the effort into hiring a coordinator that was proven. With Eric Morris's offensive mind we could be one of the elite non-power programs if we get serious about defense

• Upvote 7

2 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Even if they tackle 100% better when they are in position that still wouldn't be conference championship level defense.  They get blown off the ball so often that being in position to stop a play before it is 5 yards down the field is rare.  We might have won tonight with some better tackling and one less dropped pass, but we aren't beating teams playing like Navy, Army, or Tulane are this year.  

I know I'll regret saying this but I still have faith we can beat Tulane. Army on the other hand scares the hell out of me.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

I know I'll regret saying this but I still have faith we can beat Tulane. Army on the other hand scares the hell out of me.

Army can put up 70 on this defense, while rushing for 500 yds and throwing for 250+

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

I'm not looking for moral victories, but I would like to note that we scored four touchdowns more than the average points Memphis was giving up this season.

I won't be taking questions about how Memphis scored 12 more points than the average our defense was giving up.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Imagine if they could have held them to a punt.

Memphis did exactly what they wanted to in the 4th quarter on offense.  More than likely with a long field they get 2 or 3 first downs and run out the clock.   Even if you do force them to punt after one 3rd down conversion you problaby get the ball inside the 20 with even less time than you got down 8.  

• Skeptical Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Not if I was assuming we would still have to get the ball back. Either way our defense would have to make a stop and we would have to score. TD or FG. I trust our offense to go 80 yards and get a TD before a trust us to get a 40 yard FG at this point. Granted I didn’t trust the D but they held them to a FG. Imagine if they could have held them to a punt. Better field position and we could have potentially scored the TD for the win. 

This is the universally accepted chart coaches use for these situations. Well… almost universally accepted because we might have a savant ready to step in - our own Connor Means Greens right here in Denton.

https://www.scribd.com/document/266068186/PAT-or-Go-for-2-Chart-xlsx

Surprise Bitch GIF by Justin

• Haha 2

Going into this game I was worried we may get blown out. But still have a sense of being disappointed after a close loss. Part of it being that looking at the stats we beat them in every category except the turn over battle and the score, oh and tied in sacks allowed. Just feels like a game we could have won.

Edited by RBTX
  • Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree but just wouldn't it be an incredible thing if Morris decided he wanted an elite defense also and put the effort into hiring a coordinator that was proven. With Eric Morris's offensive mind we could be one of the elite non-power programs if we get serious about defense

Okay I'll start here's my recommendation for who we should go after 

https://niuhuskies.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/nick-benedetto/2432

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Quoner said:

This is the universally accepted chart coaches use for these situations. Well… almost universally accepted because we might have a savant ready to step in - our own Connor Means Greens right here in Denton.

https://www.scribd.com/document/266068186/PAT-or-Go-for-2-Chart-xlsx

Surprise Bitch GIF by Justin

I don’t care. I have seen nothing since the start of the season and during this game that would make me want to go for two. Other teams and other games… sure. A cheap looking want to be Black Jack Cheat Sheet isn’t going to that for this instance. 

• Eye Roll 2

I don't understand why our defenders are so far off of their man? Is it player or scheme related? So many times Memphis' players were wide open with no one close to them. Defense did keep us in the game  when offense was struggling in the 1st half, there needs to be some blame on the offense too for going on some long droughts. Particularly coming out of the 2nd half to a very quick 3 and out.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

I don’t care. I have seen nothing since the start of the season and during this game that would make me want to go for two. Other teams and other games… sure. A cheap looking want to be Black Jack Cheat Sheet isn’t going to that for this instance. 

Andrew - that’s not the real chart. The coaches don’t keep their files unlisted on scribd, but I thought you’d like the simple layout and bright colors. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Yeah no. Not with the way our special teams or defense has played. Offense was the only thing working. That coupled with the onside kick made zero sense. Granted it didn’t matter but we could have easily been down 4 and with that extra point and kicked it deep, got a stop and scored. That’s what our team does. Not trust the special teams or defense. Odd at the end that’s what they chose to do. Trust the weak links. Very odd… but I guess if that’s what everyone does….

The only way you win that game at that point is with some kind of defensive stop whether you kick the extra point or go for two. Get your two points and a field goal ties it. Anything else makes no sense.

Edited by DentonLurker

39 minutes ago, Sig381 said:

Yall we do not have a big defense. We rely on blitzes to work or the other team miss a pass. It comes down to recruiting. We need big guys that can play just like all the other teams. 

It’s strange to me that the coaches acknowledged we were small on defense last year but didn’t do much to address it in the offseason despite bringing in lots of new faces via the portal. 

53 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

As long as Caponi is running our defense we can expect this type of game every time we play a good quality opponent. Morris is going to have to get over his philosophy of I can outscore everyone because with someone like Caponi you can't

Bingo. 

Coach Morris would be humming right along to an AAC championship game and potentially a spot in the CFP if he had brought in a solid defensive coordinator. 

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

It’s strange to me that the coaches acknowledged we were small on defense last year but didn’t do much to address it in the offseason despite bringing in lots of new faces via the portal. 

I think the effort was there, but we didn’t land all the dudes we pursued. Shipley was out tonight. Jayden Hill also seemed to get knocked out.  I wonder how much those two losses hurt our defense tonight. 

FWIW, I’ve seen a few JUCO DL offers going out.