***OFFICIAL UNT vs MEMPHIS IN-GAME DISCUSSION***

Harry

I absolutely LOATHE calling time outs when you're on offense because you can't get the damn play called. Save the time outs for the end of the half/game. Burning a TO on the 4 yard line is inexcusable. If you have all three TO plus your 2 minute warning there......

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

2 point conversion there would have made it a 3 point game. That made sense.

Yeah no. Not with the way our special teams or defense has played. Offense was the only thing working. That coupled with the onside kick made zero sense. Granted it didn’t matter but we could have easily been down 4 and with that extra point and kicked it deep, got a stop and scored. That’s what our team does. Not trust the special teams or defense. Odd at the end that’s what they chose to do. Trust the weak links. Very odd… but I guess if that’s what everyone does….

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Because it would have gotten us within three. Everyone goes for two there. 

I agree but 2024 North Texas defense is historically bad and assuming it will stop anyone that relatively early in the game to give you a chance to tie it with a FG pointless.  Never leave points on the table if you plan to have another pocession in the game.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So now we have to score and get a two point conversion just to tie…. Since we for no reason at all decided to go for two last time…. Would have been easier. 

I know it’s Memphis and that might confuse you, but save the mid season basketball form for winter, king. 

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, untbowler said:

just like the final 2 plays, OLine gave no time and Morris scrambles out of pocket to make poor throws

I love your passion brother, but this ain't it . The O Line and/or Morris were not in any capacity by any stretch of the imagination a problem tonight, 650 yards. 44 points. They were fantastic. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Andrew said:

Yeah no. Not with the way our special teams or defense has played. Offense was the only thing working. That coupled with the onside kick made zero sense. Granted it didn’t matter but we could have easily been down 4 and with that extra point and kicked it deep, got a stop and scored. That’s what our team does. Not trust the special teams or defense. Odd at the end that’s what they chose to do. Trust the weak links. Very odd… but I guess if that’s what everyone does….

You're saying our O is working well and S/T was iffy, but you don't want to go for 2?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I absolutely LOATHE calling time outs when you're on offense because you can't get the damn play called. Save the time outs for the end of the half/game. Burning a TO on the 4 yard line is inexcusable. If you have all three TO plus your 2 minute warning there......

Agreed. Get it off or take the penalty. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just an average defense.
Just an average defense. 

On the bright side, at least we showed up and played competitive football unlike the Tech debacle. We still represented well and kept it close until the end. 

But, all we needed was an average defense. Played decent at different times, but not nearly enough against good teams. That’s just too bad. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

You're saying our O is working well and S/T was iffy, but you don't want to go for 2?

Not if I was assuming we would still have to get the ball back. Either way our defense would have to make a stop and we would have to score. TD or FG. I trust our offense to go 80 yards and get a TD before a trust us to get a 40 yard FG at this point. Granted I didn’t trust the D but they held them to a FG. Imagine if they could have held them to a punt. Better field position and we could have potentially scored the TD for the win. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

I agree but 2024 North Texas defense is historically bad and assuming it will stop anyone that relatively early in the game to give you a chance to tie it with a FG isn't great decision.

But if you can get within three late, you gotta do it. Period. You have to get a stop. 

2 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I love your passion brother, but this ain't it . The O Line and/or Morris were not in any capacity by any stretch of the imagination a problem tonight, 650 yards. 44 points. They were fantastic. 

I’m with you but the O Line definitely forces Morris (who himself often rushes throws under pressure) to scramble too often.  Pressure does tend to get to us.  That said, it’s beyond clear that our defense (the scheme and poor tackling) killed us.  We can never be in position to defend a shallow flag combo route and the deep drag often gets us too.  But we play so soft at times that even underneath routes with O Lines that can protect for long enough go for first downs regularly.  I was getting encouraged by our defensive changes but that’s backtracked a lot lately. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

As long as Caponi is running our defense we can expect this type of game every time we play a good quality opponent. Morris is going to have to get over his philosophy of I can outscore everyone because with someone like Caponi you can't

Even if they tackle 100% better when they are in position that still wouldn't be conference championship level defense.  They get blown off the ball so often that being in position to stop a play before it is 5 yards down the field is rare.  We might have won tonight with some better tackling and one less dropped pass, but we aren't beating teams playing like Navy, Army, or Tulane are this year.